Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Portrait Lens for D40

  1. #1

    Default Portrait Lens for D40

    Hi,

    Is there any good 85mm portrait lens that is compatible with D40 ?
    eg. can autofocus on D40.

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Portrait Lens for D40

    Quote Originally Posted by redwine View Post
    Hi,

    Is there any good 85mm portrait lens that is compatible with D40 ?
    eg. can autofocus on D40.
    Not yet, unless you wanna use the 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR.

    Mebbe later, after-all the 50 f1.4 AF-S is going to be launched soon.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3

    Default Re: Portrait Lens for D40

    the 50mm will be too wide for me,
    intend to shoot face only.

    look like either i have to upgrade my body or jump ship.

  4. #4
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Portrait Lens for D40

    Quote Originally Posted by redwine View Post
    the 50mm will be too wide for me,
    intend to shoot face only.

    look like either i have to upgrade my body or jump ship.
    Wat lenses do you have so far?

    Else practise on MF first.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,256

    Default Re: Portrait Lens for D40

    try the 105mm f2.8 or the 60mm f2.8
    chezburgr i can haz?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hougang Ave. 7
    Posts
    888

    Default Re: Portrait Lens for D40

    Quote Originally Posted by redwine View Post
    the 50mm will be too wide for me,
    intend to shoot face only.

    look like either i have to upgrade my body or jump ship.
    Try move closer to the subject with 50mm...

  7. #7
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Portrait Lens for D40

    Quote Originally Posted by frederickykfoo View Post
    Try move closer to the subject with 50mm...
    May distort the face when used too close.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  8. #8

    Default Re: Portrait Lens for D40

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Wat lenses do you have so far?

    Else practise on MF first.
    I have the Sigma 17-70mm macro,
    thinking to add 1 or 2 fullframe primes.
    hope to avoid manual focus,
    as the D40 viewfinder not MF friendly.

  9. #9
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Portrait Lens for D40

    Quote Originally Posted by redwine View Post
    I have the Sigma 17-70mm macro,
    thinking to add 1 or 2 fullframe primes.
    hope to avoid manual focus,
    as the D40 viewfinder not MF friendly.
    Well.. if u believe tat you have outgrown the camera, u can always consider getting the D80, D90, D200, D300 onwards...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  10. #10

    Default Re: Portrait Lens for D40

    after a few field trips,
    i am beginning to discover my D40 limitations,
    esp on lens & flash.

    1 Qns,
    Would a D90 be able to fire a SB-600 wireless,
    with my hand holding the SB-600, instead of on the hot shoes ?

  11. #11
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Portrait Lens for D40

    Quote Originally Posted by redwine View Post
    after a few field trips,
    i am beginning to discover my D40 limitations,
    esp on lens & flash.

    1 Qns,
    Would a D90 be able to fire a SB-600 wireless,
    with my hand holding the SB-600, instead of on the hot shoes ?
    Yes, you can.

    You'd have to set the pop-up flash to be the commander in the menu setting, and then set the SB-600 to be a remote slave.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  12. #12

    Default Re: Portrait Lens for D40

    OK, Thanks.
    Looks like have to wait for D90 body-only to arrive.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •