Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F1 photography post mortem

Default Re: F1 photography post mortem

Most people will have too otherwise go deaf, no problems with earplugs as the sound is not much louder than music from walkman, not even when the cars zip past at less than 2m away from you!

I think panning with the fence seems to be the hardest with fences like what we had. Most of the better shots were either shooting through the fence or up in the grandstands with a good zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by cthep2 View Post
    Yeah, AF is being fooled by the fence so have to use Manual focus.

Used 70-210f4 and did try Panning at 210mm to shot cockpit only, no cropping done.

Cheers!

mine like mirror image of urs laa..hahaha.. 200+ mm is enuf i tink... juz wished i had f2.8...
    Pentax K100D Super

Hi,

You mentioned that you use 70-200mm and F2.8 lens, what speed did you use? I was using 70-200mm as well, but my FL can only go to 3.5 and I got quite a dark effect with 1/1000.

Quote Originally Posted by libra04 View Post
    Hi,

You mentioned that you use 70-200mm and F2.8 lens, what speed did you use? I was using 70-200mm as well, but my FL can only go to 3.5 and I got quite a dark effect with 1/1000.
    My settings for the night : 1/320 ISO800 F2.8 at 200mm

amazing shots. No noise at all. Amazing!
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

Re: F1 photography post mortem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to the lens I find Long and big aperture lens most useful. So in this case also due to weight, I prefer the 70-200 F2.8L shooting right beside the fence. My shots are found here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by lightning; 9 Hours Ago at 08:44 AM.

Hi, When you say shoot right beside the fence, do you mean you are behind the fence?
    If so, then what you are saying is you zoom through the fence, and wait for the car to pass by the camera, and you take the photo and not panning, right?

Thanks.

Re: F1 photography post mortem

Due to the lens I find Long and big aperture lens most useful. So in this case also due to weight, I prefer the 70-200 F2.8L shooting right beside the fence. My shots are found here.

Last edited by lightning; 9 Hours Ago at 08:44 AM.

Hi, When you say shoot right beside the fence, do you mean you are behind the fence?
    If so, then what you are saying is you zoom through the fence, and wait for the car to pass by the camera, and you take the photo and not panning, right?

Thanks.
    Yes, I was right behind the fence(1.5 to 2meter away), zoom to 200mm, Open aperture to F2.8, shutter at 1/320 - 1/400 on AI-Servo, then I track the car from a distance, as it turn and fit the composition I want, I squeeze the trigger. All the while I am aiming at the helmet of the driver. I am using one shot only fire when the composition is right.

Default Re: Well done....F1 photography

I don't know how you all do it...The pictures are fabulous...well done!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nikolaiski View Post

1/80th sec, ISO400, f4, AF drive left in one shot mode, taken one at a time. This was at turn 1/2/3
    nice panning shot!

Quote Originally Posted by adiknaim View Post

mine like mirror image of urs laa..hahaha.. 200+ mm is enuf i tink... juz wished i had f2.8...
    sorry noob qn ..
    is it easier to pan at a shorter focal length or a longer focal length?

Yes, I was right behind the fence(1.5 to 2meter away), zoom to 200mm, Open aperture to F2.8, shutter at 1/320 - 1/400 on AI-Servo, then I track the car from a distance, as it turn and fit the composition I want, I squeeze the trigger. All the while I am aiming at the helmet of the driver. I am using one shot only fire when the composition is right.

Hi, so in this case, the shots are taken at the corners where they will slow down. If I'm at a long stretch of the track, this method will not work? right? Or I should set the speed to faster?

Hi, so in this case, the shots are taken at the corners where they will slow down. If I'm at a long stretch of the track, this method will not work? right? Or I should set the speed to faster?
    Yeah, the choice of the track location is important. I studied the track the plong myself at a place where the car need to make the most turns at a short time. (It helps when you play PS3) I was also hopping for a crash to happen in front of me due to the turns.. Anyway, if it is at a long stretch, higher shutter speed might be required. I shot a few side profile at long fast stretch....I need 1/2000 shutter speed. Keep's rate drop from 80% to 5%.

Yeah, the choice of the track location is important. I studied the track the plong myself at a place where the car need to make the most turns at a short time. (It helps when you play PS3) I was also hopping for a crash to happen in front of me due to the turns.. Anyway, if it is at a long stretch, higher shutter speed might be required. I shot a few side profile at long fast stretch....I need 1/2000 shutter speed. Keep's rate drop from 80% to 5%.

Right, I was taking long stretch shot also, and I used up to 1/2000, 1/2500 shutter speed. But I got a dark effect, probably due to my FL I think, my lens could only go to 3.5. So FL is important also. You mentioned you took a few shots at long fast stretch, you using FL 2.8? Still clear and bright?

Right, I was taking long stretch shot also, and I used up to 1/2000, 1/2500 shutter speed. But I got a dark effect, probably due to my FL I think, my lens could only go to 3.5. So FL is important also. You mentioned you took a few shots at long fast stretch, you using FL 2.8? Still clear and bright?
    FL is focal length
    f/2.8, f/3.5, all these, these are aperture readings.

You need to learn something called exposure, which is an interplay of ISO, shutter speed and aperture reading. You can't just set whatever shutter speed, ISO and aperture you want and get a good image.

Read this.

Yeah still bright, but not very sharp...let me search to see if I can post it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    I think those are incredible shots, think I need to stand at the expressway every other day to practice panning with a wide angle lens.
    later people think you traffic police, faster slow down

Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    Next year I'm probably getting a grandstand ticket. Shooting behind several layers of fences/barricades ain't fun....especially when you are jostling with so many others. I think those with walkabout passes also had problems finding ideal spot and also coz of the metal fencing which renders AF function useless.
    avoid Padang grandstand - you get a fenced view no matter how high you sit:

result from row 16:

i had better luck walking around - guess day 1 wasn't as crowded as the rest.

ended up at ISO1600 most of the way; used shutter speeds between 1/320 to 1/640 and apertures from f/3.2 to f/5.6.

rest of my set here.
    eyes | head | feet | flickr | APAD: straight from camera

nice pics..
    Nikon D610 |NIKON 16-35mm F4G | SIGMA 50mm F1.4G | NIKON 70-200mm F2.8G VRII | NIKON SB600

Quote Originally Posted by varf View Post
    avoid Padang grandstand - you get a fenced view no matter how high you sit:
    Which grandstand got no fence blockage?

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    What were the best lenses to use? APS or FF? Techniques? Favourite locations? How would you do it differently or simliar next year?

For me, I am gonna get a nice 70-200mm zoom for next year now that I got my wife to experience the race and the need for the zoom lens.
    I bought along my 70-200f2.8IS and 500mmf4.5 and I have problem using the 70-200 because of the fence. AF will be affected and most of my photos shot with this lens have the fence marking. However, when using the 500mm, I dont have this issue. I set my min focus to 12m-infinity, use ISO800. The fence automatically "disappeared" with a long lens. I was about 4 to 5 m from the fence. My friend who is using my 400f 5.6 lens is getting good results too. So my guess would be any long lens from 300mm onwards. Best is with selectable min focus distance.

Some example of my shots.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast