Thread: User Reviews and Suggestions Needed for Ladies' Camera!

Default User Reviews and Suggestions Needed for Ladies' Camera!

Hi all, need your valuable recommendations and/suggestions on this.

I'm getting a camera for my wife who has a phobia towards technology. She prefers dials than searching from menu. She wants something that doesn't look too much like a serious piece of kit. Black is out, WA is Greek to her, so is megapixels and optical zoom. She does not even relish bringing a charger for the proprietary battery. She prefers a plain straightforward point and shoot - figuratively and literally, and just want it to deliver something like from Giantcopy's Hokkaido series

Save from giving her the cold truth and to preserve my marriage, I eliminated the entire market of delicious offers and almost contemplating disposable ones, I'm down to the Canon E1 (even my 860IS is too much a buggeration for her).

Sweet, affordable and girly enough for my daughter, I think this is THE camera designed and created just for her. But since it's pretty new, there aren't many user reviews around. So I appreciate if anyone out there who can add some insights to this camera.

Besides, she has handled it this afternoon at the Canon shop in Harbourfront, and she is quite agreeable to it - it's just that is there an even simpler camera out there? Your suggestions and recommendations are most welcomed!
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

Default Re: User Reviews and Suggestions Needed for Ladies' Camera!

Quote Originally Posted by Six-GHz View Post
    Hi all, need your valuable recommendations and/suggestions on this.

I'm getting a camera for my wife who has a phobia towards technology. She prefers dials than searching from menu. She wants something that doesn't look too much like a serious piece of kit. Black is out, WA is Greek to her, so is megapixels and optical zoom. She does not even relish bringing a charger for the proprietary battery. She prefers a plain straightforward point and shoot - figuratively and literally, and just want it to deliver something like from Giantcopy's Hokkaido series

Save from giving her the cold truth and to preserve my marriage, I eliminated the entire market of delicious offers and almost contemplating disposable ones, I'm down to the Canon E1 (even my 860IS is too much a buggeration for her).

Sweet, affordable and girly enough for my daughter, I think this is THE camera designed and created just for her. But since it's pretty new, there aren't many user reviews around. So I appreciate if anyone out there who can add some insights to this camera.

Besides, she has handled it this afternoon at the Canon shop in Harbourfront, and she is quite agreeable to it - it's just that is there an even simpler camera out there? Your suggestions and recommendations are most welcomed!
    How about the Canon Powershot A470, A1000IS or A2000IS?

Otherwise, get her the IXUS 80IS which is a very simple camera to use. Of course, it uses a proprietary battery.

Why does she require a camera when she has a whole photographer with her ? haha.
    Research Institute for Unicultural Visual Arts - Riuva.com

Quote Originally Posted by tjhan View Post
    Why does she require a camera when she has a whole photographer with her ? haha.
    That's because she's going Japan with her friend... which effectively turns me into a babysitter!

Panasonic LX3? Sigma DP1?

Quote Originally Posted by windwaver View Post
    Panasonic LX3? Sigma DP1?
    Tot of Lumix FS series too. DP1, you wanna sabo me? Good little camera that cost a bomb!

80IS?
    Meow!

fuji f100fd, silver, auto (iso 400) setting.

Just use a camera phone. Easy and simple enuf right?
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

E1 is kute!

Canon A590IS
    A real deal of a camera with manual controls when she grows out of PnS or if you decide not to lug your gear around.

Pros
    ----
    1. AA batteries
    2. PnS controls + Manual controls
    3. Cheap with manual ctrl
    4. "upgradability" if you decide later for a wide angle or tele adapter
    5. Decent picts
    6. Silver grey color (since she does not want black)

Cons
    ----
    1. Slow recharging flash
    2. "downgraded" 640x480 video capture @ 20fps (frankly its a joke!)

Appreciate all the suggestions, keep them coming!

The moment AA battery, rotary dials and kawaii-factor were included, my choices shrank. I also prefered it to be SD card (I've got stacks of them!), so it literally left a handful. Of note are the Canon Powershot series and Lumix L series (for its IA mode) and even the Kodak Z1085 (if I could find it!).

So anyone is a user or have bought the Canon E1? Would like to hear your views! Thanks!

lumix FS series are pretty good. i've got a FS3 and it produces decent pics up to 800 for a pns as compared to my Fz18. probably due to the new Venus Engine IV
    it also has an IA mode too plus the intelligent ISO is very useful.