Thread: Fast Cars...F1

Default Fast Cars...F1

My first attempt at taking pictures of moving objects.
    It helped that I had a good lens.

I am using canon 450D.
    Lens 100-400mm L lens USM
    Shutter Speed 1/60-1/90

Aim was to capture a clear picture and showcasing the speed of the cars.

Comments =)

Shy@n

Default Re: Fast Cars...F1

I know it's not your fault but the fencing really spolits the picture. Can only see like half of the car.. dun think anyone can take a good pic of the cars with that fencing all around.

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    I know it's not your fault but the fencing really spolits the picture. Can only see like half of the car.. dun think anyone can take a good pic of the cars with that fencing all around.
    There has been many many other examples in the other segmens check them out~
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    There are decent examples after we moderate our expectations with the fencing in mind.
    But i agree with the halfshot. its most prob a decent attempt at panning but the half shot renders the pic un-usable.

hmm..looks more like a toy car behind a glass panel with lines on it

You do get a clear picture, but I don't get the fast feeling, feel more like stationary object with.
    Shahrul Esa

The panning technique leaves much to be desired but I actually quite like this image. You don't have to capture the cars in their entirety to be considered successful. Its a true documentation of the spectator's view and the sense of speed is present and real, compared to other photos showing the entire car, which looked rather static.

wait, i love those lines.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bleh/
    let the universe surprise you .)

I would hope to see a full red bull f1 car, but if it was impossible to that, then no choice.
    I like the panning, it seems to be done at a high speed.
    The best things in life are free.

Thanks for the comments.

I guess my main aim was to protray a picture in which the viewer would expect to see if she/he was at the grandstand.

What I learn was that a good way was to do MF. So the cars would be reasonably in focus.
    Panning shots are not easy being my first time shooting such a quick car. The 3.5fps of my Canon 450D was limiting too.( Any tips for better panning/technique? maybe the EOS1D MkIII?) Got lots of pictures that are blurry or I totally missed the whole car as they zoom pass the fast sectors.

Shyan

Quote Originally Posted by ShyanL View Post
    Thanks for the comments.

I guess my main aim was to protray a picture in which the viewer would expect to see if she/he was at the grandstand.

What I learn was that a good way was to do MF. So the cars would be reasonably in focus.
    Panning shots are not easy being my first time shooting such a quick car. The 3.5fps of my Canon 450D was limiting too.( Any tips for better panning/technique? maybe the EOS1D MkIII?) Got lots of pictures that are blurry or I totally missed the whole car as they zoom pass the fast sectors.

Shyan
    Just so you know, a lot of sports photographers, and a lot of the photographers who were shooting yesterday at F1 were not using burst mode; it's really not all that critical, compared to good timing on the photographer's part.

This is actually a very good shot..the speed..the lines..the blur..and the RED BULL...doesn't matter what camera or lens you have..its a matter of composition and what you want to express!!

I just used a Nikon D50 with 70-300mm f4-5.6 and I got some decent shots as well, panning shot like this one.

Thanks everyone,

The funny thing was that I had wanted a faster shutter speed like 1/125 or 1/250. But somehow despite setting ISO to auto which was reading about 800 I think, with max aperature 4.5-5f, the highest which it can go was 1/90. Not sure if I did anything wrong. I tot that the track was relatively bright that lighting should not be a problem.

Care to share a little?

Shy

Thanks everyone,

The funny thing was that I had wanted a faster shutter speed like 1/125 or 1/250. But somehow despite setting ISO to auto which was reading about 800 I think, with max aperature 4.5-5f, the highest which it can go was 1/90. Not sure if I did anything wrong. I tot that the track was relatively bright that lighting should not be a problem.

Care to share a little?

Shy
    Why did you want to leave your ISO speed to auto? Knowing you have a lack of shutter speed, you'd want to select a high ISO and stick to it.

Do you understand how exposure, and the three factors - ISO, shutter speed and aperture, work together?

Yups I do.
    I guess i decided to leave it auto because I didn't want ISO1600 and since auto was already reading ISO800, I didn't really bother anymore.
    And yes.. Shutter and Aperture has a inverse relationship and ISO allows us to ex. increase shutter speed by 1-2stops

Thanks everyone,

Care to share a little?

Shy
    it is nighttime. considering that fact that you can actually get 1/90 seconds at night with iso 800 with f/4 or so.. that's actually pretty decent.

the sun produces a lot more light than we realise. just for argument's sake, imagine looking at the sun for a minute (the pure, naked sun) - please don't go and do it, i'd imagine you'd be blind after that. but it is easy to look at the street lights for 30 minutes. you might see stars after that, but there is a significant difference.

anyhow, i don't really like this picture, it is messy, and it is not just because of the grid. it might be filed under "abstract", but it is so disconnected from reality, and messy. messy's the word, i guess.

Messy messy messy my mom would be nagging at me.. simply, from me, a car's not without its wheels. Hehehe... unless taken abstractly.
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr