Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Million.

Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    It seems like you have somethings in mind.
    Why not share with us your percieved "root of the problem"?
    Double Standards? Which two statements have contribute to double standards?
    why do you think this expansion is required? *that* is the root of the problem. i don't think any government is so bored as to plan for pointless policies which have a tendency to be unpopular with people (regardless which country.. most societies tend to have underlying xenophobic tendencies), least of all OUR government. i'm sure you know a lot, so you can tell us why you perceive that a government would want to resort to such measures.

double standards? simple - you say that you worry about foreigners leaving. in the first place, if singaporeans didn't leave, would foreigners have to come? and if singaporeans and foreigners both leave, then what's the difference between a foreigner and a singaporean?
    Last edited by night86mare; 28th September 2008 at 02:08 AM.

Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

Scholar wants to push up Singapore population to 6.5 million.
    By that time and given the current Singaporean birth rate at 1.21, Singaporean will become the minority in Singapore.

Current:
    Singaporean = 3.16 million.
    PR + our foreign friends = 1.68 million
    Ratio= 1.88 Sin : 1 foreigner.

That means on the streets, we will have one foreign friends walking in between every two Singapore lang.

It is high time we learn to speak a foreign language, especially Mandarin.
    If not, one day you may not get your food because you can't communicate with waiters/waitresses.
    Surely you must realise that you made a mistake in claiming that "1.88 Sin : 1 foreigner" makes "Singaporeans" a minority? If you were to be a minority you would, by defenition, have to have less Singaporeans than foreigners. The last time I checked 1.88 was not less than 1.

Oh. And by the way, what is "Singaporean" anyway other than a collection of foreigners? Indian? Malay? Chinese? There is no such thing as a "Singaporean race".
    Cameras: Rollei 35, Rolleiflex-T, FinePix F700, Nikon D60, D300
    Pics: Churchwolf's Album.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    oh, so all the workers in singapore are canteen helpers.

so we are not a nation of thinkers, we are a nation of canteen helpers. it's alright.. somewhere in your mind.. singapore is filled with 100% canteen helpers.. we are the canteen of the world, in a way, anyhow.. too many food places. so engineers are actually canteen workers in disguise, the planning work they are doing is coded for food processing. teachers are actually senior canteen workers who are indirectly training our children to be canteen workers.. and of course doctors are just canteen workers that have the useful facility of learning how to treat illnesses!!!

now i see why you argue that we need to learn a foreign language to communicate with people on the street when your postulated scenario turns into reality.. well if you insist that all our foreigners are canteen workers.. i'll give it to you!

when it comes to discussion, the majority rules. if majority of foreign workers will end up speaking english, then your opening ludicrous statement of "we need to learn to speak another language to converse with them" is still unfounded. why don't you just admit that?

My original statement:
    If not, one day you may not get your food because you can't communicate with waiters/waitresses.

I talking about food industry, If you want to expand it across to all industries, so be it.
    By the way alot of technician from Malaysia do not speak English.
    You have to be in the industry before you get to see it.

But I still hope they don't learn English and we learn mandarin to converse with them.
    If you have been to Shanghai, you will understand my points.
    Chinese bankers are smarter and their business acumen is so much better.
    In Shanghai those who speak good English are being paid better than their Singapore counterparts in the banking industry. When alot of them speak good English, you should know what will happen to the great Singaporeans.

But I still hope they don't learn English and we learn mandarin to converse with them.
    If you have been to Shanghai, you will understand my points.
    Chinese bankers are smarter and their business acumen is so much better.
    In Shanghai those who speak good English are being paid better than their Singapore counterparts in the banking industry. When alot of them speak good English, you should know what will happen to the great Singaporeans.
    no, but even if i've been there, i don't think i'll have the high fortune of mixing around with chinese bankers.. good life eh..

well, it will take some time. i also wonder what will happen when they can stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchwolf View Post
    Surely you must realise that you made a mistake in claiming that "1.88 Sin : 1 foreigner" makes "Singaporeans" a minority? If you were to be a minority you would, by defenition, have to have less Singaporeans than foreigners. The last time I checked 1.88 was not less than 1.

Oh. And by the way, what is "Singaporean" anyway other than a collection of foreigners? Indian? Malay? Chinese? There is no such thing as a "Singaporean race".
    I say when the population reaches 6.5 million, and if our birth rate is still at 1.21, Singaporean will become the minority.
    Like you say, at 1.88 Sin : 1 foreigner, Singaporean is still majority mah.

Looks like we are having an Identity crisis. Can someone help to define what is a "Singaporean".

no, but even if i've been there, i don't think i'll have the high fortune of mixing around with chinese bankers.. good life eh..

well, it will take some time. i also wonder what will happen when they can stand alone.
    No, time is not with us....I just came back from Shanghai, their city is more advance and complex than ours.
    Looking at the road systems, their elevated highways is already longer than our PIE + AYE.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 28th September 2008 at 02:37 AM.

No, time is not with us....I just came back from Shanghai, their city is more advance and complex than ours.
    Looking at the road systems, their elevated highways is already longer than our PIE + AYE.
    they have space.. highways mean nothing. you mean if i have a country with the longest highway in the world i am powerful?

like that i just find a huge block of land in africa and build one coiled up highway, and at the end i will sit there.. and declare myself a hi-tech nation.

just kidding.

Looks like we are having an Identity crisis. Can someone help to define what is a "Singaporean".
    espion actually started a thread on this a while back

My original statement:
    Mandarin has been taught in our schools long before the founding of modern Singapore.

It is depressing to see it is a "foreign language" now.
    Last edited by Sion; 28th September 2008 at 07:05 AM.

longer than PIE + AYE? thatz bad news if went up wrong lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Mandarin has been taught in our schools long before the founding of modern Singapore.

really? i din know that part of history...

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post

The standard of Chinese language taught during that period is very much higher than what is taught today.

I think they suppressed the language due to the threat posted by the communists then.

Today, we think greatly about our bilingual capability, but in fact our language skills are neither here nor there.
    You talk to Ang Moh, they scratch head.
    You talk to Chinese, they cut you into one piece one piece.

By the way, I think you belong to early batch, right? You Mandarin powerful.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 28th September 2008 at 02:56 PM.

The standard of Chinese language taught during that period is very much higher than what is taught today.

I think they suppressed the language due to the threat posted by the communists then.

Today, we think greatly about our bilingual capability, but in fact our language skills are neither here nor there.
    You talk to Ang Moh, they scratch head.
    You talk to Chinese, they cut you into one piece one piece.

By the way, I think you belong to early batch, right? You Mandarin powerful.
    powderful stuff
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

they have space.. highways mean nothing. you mean if i have a country with the longest highway in the world i am powerful?

like that i just find a huge block of land in africa and build one coiled up highway, and at the end i will sit there.. and declare myself a hi-tech nation.

just kidding.
    I do not know what you are trying to prove in this post.

I brought up the road system because I personally felt that alot of people still have the misconception that China is still very backward. Having the longest highway does not mean much. But in Shanghai terms it has definitely demonstrated its economy powers and its advancement in city planning, by building the elevated highways to bypass the busy city streets below.

If you think building highway in an empty piece of land involved the same amount of money and technology as building elevated highways in a heavily built up city, I take my hat off.

Taking about Hi-Tech, Shanghai also has Maglev and can travel at a speed of 500km/h.
    Do you want to build one as well in your African land?
    You don't have to sit on it, you can use it to transport the animals.
    Those migratory animals will be very grateful to you because they do not have to cross the treacherous Nile river anymore.

why do you think this expansion is required? *that* is the root of the problem. i don't think any government is so bored as to plan for pointless policies which have a tendency to be unpopular with people (regardless which country.. most societies tend to have underlying xenophobic tendencies), least of all OUR government. i'm sure you know a lot, so you can tell us why you perceive that a government would want to resort to such measures.

You think I know? But I don't know.
    So what is your *that*?

double standards? simple - you say that you worry about foreigners leaving. in the first place, if singaporeans didn't leave, would foreigners have to come? and if singaporeans and foreigners both leave, then what's the difference between a foreigner and a singaporean?
    Yes, I say it is a worrying trend if foreign workers decided to leave Singapore in mass.
    But did I say Singaporean can't leave and foreigners can leave or anything of similar capacity? or did I tag foreigner and singaporean leaving Singapore differently?
    Singapore is a free land and anyone can come and leave thru proper procedure.

Therefore, I have doubt over your measurement on double standard. or just use the word to cast people in bad light?

By the way, your question "if singaporeans didn't leave, would foreigners have to come?"
    950 singaporean left each year vs 34,800 new PRs + 7,300 new citizens in first half of 2008.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 28th September 2008 at 04:23 PM.

I do not know what you are trying to prove in this post.
    aiyo.. i'm just joking..

aiyo.. i'm just joking..

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    liddat wedding photographers need to update with many customs of other weddings.

like how to shoot traditional Brazilian wedding...
    Convert all the minority to the majority!

My original statement:
    It is high time we learn to speak a foreign language, especially Mandarin...
    Since when did Mandarin become a foreign language?

Sorry I don't get this, as I grew up under the "Speak Mandarin" campaign...
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh View Post
    Since when did Mandarin become a foreign language?

Sorry I don't get this, as I grew up under the "Speak Mandarin" campaign...
    It is/feels foreign if you are not a native speaker, or share a similar culture that uses Mandarin.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast