Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Million.

Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    fair enough.

i would think it more reactionary - singapore has probably been caught up in the rush of globalisation, and as others have already pointed out it is young. which probably makes it unique in this world of very old nations. couple this with its rapid development, and it's not hard to see why the people try to follow the jones even though the jones are doing different things everywhere. a very muddled mix, i would say sometimes.

just for clarification, when you talk about trends, what sort of trends are you talking about? societal? or something else - because that's what i'm referring to.
    Trends in the general sense. Perhaps you were talking about immigration trends instead..
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

let me guess the trends?

1. IR (Intergrated Resort)
    2. F1

correct?

S'pore so young 1 2 play cards 'n' such liao arh?...

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    with any increase in population, local or not, can our infrastructure cope?

transport, education, healthcare (scare?), security (food & water supply), housing demands, the need for personal (private) space and so on... would an increase in demand impact on those on the list?

if cannot cope then we'll see the ugly side of this topic go awry. are the signs of strain already here?
    Harrhh.. Some insightful questions finally..

1. IR (Intergrated Resort)
    2. F1
    aiyo.. all talking about different things. i meant societal trends.

anyways - with regards to whether our infrastructure can cope - that remains to be seen, really. as with many other global matters today.. who can say? all the planning can be right.. but something goes wrong. but suffice to say i think with careful planning, it is not a problem. we still have space, in my opinion.

if say, something happened that crippled the london underground, do you think it can cope with the london population today?

if say, something happened that crippled the london underground, do you think it can cope with the london population today?
    7/7 is a good case study.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    well, many have varied views on whether that was handled properly.. (just the infrastructure aspect, anyways)

what do you think, actually?

My department has 9 people. 3 are PR/Foreigners.

So the numbers are pretty much correct.

And I also believe the ratio will go close to 1-1 with Singaporeans not increasing in numbers as fast.

all is well and good if infrastructure can cope. if got strain pressure builds up, if let to continue, will stress the system. if system got stress to unhealthy level. social fabic will be affected.

when situation hits a rough patch & stays that way for longer than 'tolerable' (individually defined). the us vs them will look like zombie movies IMPO, ugly, spreads fast, with time running out fast. but that of course is the extreme case. somehow the buffer seems to be thinning,.. just my gut feeling. cant substantiate. maybe when i can it'll be too late liao? den maybe i'll say "neh, i was rite!"

well, many have varied views on whether that was handled properly.. (just the infrastructure aspect, anyways)

what do you think, actually?
    From an uninformed perspective? I think they did a decent job. But I'm no urban planner..

you grandpa need to earn money today? you ask the foreign workers whether they need to speak english lor.. i find it amusing that you can compare foreign workers to your grandpa, if i were him i would be very amused too!

how come just now make fun with grandma analogy.. now move out your ah kong.. i think you are overobsessed with the elderly.. have you been infected by the Sion auntie tfcd disease?

very amusing leh.. first say we need to learn foreign language to cater to foreign workers.. no no no that is not assuming that they will never learn english..

WHO is shifting the goalpost? everything suka you say one.. hurhur!
    You find it amusing? Me too when you say:
    "like it or not, if someone stays in singapore long enough, they will learn to speak english. have you ever met anyone dwelling in london who didn't speak english, tourists notwithstanding?"

So now I understand your "Someone" is a working person.

I won't fault you, since you have not started working and have not come into contact with Madarin speaking only employee.

But you shoud come across some canteen helpers who only speak their own language or dialect. Someone has just come back from Demsey Jumbo, ask him whether he converse in Mandarin or English with the service persons.

but suffice to say i think with careful planning, it is not a problem. we still have space, in my opinion.

plan but no action how? or too slow how?

about tunnel can start a spin-off topic with KPE as The Tunnel with superficial scenarios thrown in!

wad is 7/7?...

all is well and good if infrastructure can cope. if got strain pressure builds up, if let to continue, will stress the system. if system got stress to unhealthy level. social fabic will be affected.

when situation hits a rough patch & stays that way for longer than 'tolerable' (individually defined). the us vs them will look like zombie movies IMPO, ugly, spreads fast, with time running out fast. but that of course is the extreme case. somehow the buffer seems to be thinning,.. just my gut feeling. cant substantiate. maybe when i can it'll be too late liao? den maybe i'll say "neh, i was rite!"
    I don't think can support much longer.

I've already avoiding taking trains because it's so freaking crowded.

I don't remember it being this crowded when I was studying 3-4 years ago. I'm getting tired of seeing super crowded trains. Imagine some of the daily commuters have to squeeze everyday.

wad is 7/7?...
    The 7th July London bombings. The London transportation system was severely tested that period.

The 7th July London bombings. The London transportation system was severely tested that period.
    thanks for enlightening me.

as for severely testing our transport... that time the service train got stuck in the east is just a taste of how bad things can get. when the actual test day comes, & i am caught in that test, my boss will be hounding me for a good reason why i have not shown up for work yet (& why never even call, lol).

maybe i'll recieve my warning letter from management personally!

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Scholar wants to push up Singapore population to 6.5 million.
    By that time and given the current Singaporean birth rate at 1.21, Singaporean will become the minority in Singapore.

Current:
    Singaporean = 3.16 million.
    PR + our foreign friends = 1.68 million
    Ratio= 1.88 Sin : 1 foreigner.

That means on the streets, we will have one foreign friends walking in between every two Singapore lang.

It is high time we learn to speak a foreign language, especially Mandarin.
    If not, one day you may not get your food because you can't communicate with waiters/waitresses.
    i notice you always post this kind of sentiment.
    Wondering what are you up to.

If that is a statement, why make it if you do not wish for a debate or contention. We know it is probable that the demography will shift, but what's the point here?

Oh well. My two cents have been contributed.
    I agree to your points so far.

To me the demography has already shifted. Singapore businesses are shifting overseas and more will follow suit, bringing alot of Singaporean with them. On the other hand it is a very obvious that we are importing alot of foreign residents to substain our economy.

Things may look ok now, when there is enough bread on the table for everyone.
    What is going to happen when there is no more food on the table?
    I expect these people to pack up and leave, since they are the aopportunitists when they leave their homeland for a greener field.

I am not comfortable with the population ratio as it is going to get worse.
    Do we have any exit paln for these people? In Australia, when a foreigner invest in property, they have to sell it to another foreigner. This somehow lock the value in Australia.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 28th September 2008 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    i notice you always post this kind of sentiment.
    Wondering what are you up to.
    Simple, to make you think.

I expect these people to pack up and leave, since they are the aopportunitists when they leave their homeland for a greener field.
    you still don't get my point. you say i shift the goalpost when here is your largest flaw.

you assume that they will do this. the word "expect" says so. now, let me ask you - are singaporeans not opportunists? is our talent not getting drained? instead of wondering why we have to resort to such measures, why not instead examine the root of the problem?

you are certainly exhibiting double standards - everything a foreigner can do, a singaporean can. a foreigner can exit with ease, a singaporean can too. a foreigner can contribute, so can a singaporean. so why do we need them to fill up the spaces? have you ever, ever thought about that?

But you shoud come across some canteen helpers who only speak their own language or dialect. Someone has just come back from Demsey Jumbo, ask him whether he converse in Mandarin or English with the service persons.
    oh, so all the workers in singapore are canteen helpers.

so we are not a nation of thinkers, we are a nation of canteen helpers. it's alright.. somewhere in your mind.. singapore is filled with 100% canteen helpers.. we are the canteen of the world, in a way, anyhow.. too many food places. so engineers are actually canteen workers in disguise, the planning work they are doing is coded for food processing. teachers are actually senior canteen workers who are indirectly training our children to be canteen workers.. and of course doctors are just canteen workers that have the useful facility of learning how to treat illnesses!!!

now i see why you argue that we need to learn a foreign language to communicate with people on the street when your postulated scenario turns into reality.. well if you insist that all our foreigners are canteen workers.. i'll give it to you!

when it comes to discussion, the majority rules. if majority of foreign workers will end up speaking english, then your opening ludicrous statement of "we need to learn to speak another language to converse with them" is still unfounded. why don't you just admit that?

Last edited by night86mare; 28th September 2008 at 01:46 AM.

you still don't get my point. you say i shift the goalpost when here is your largest flaw.

you assume that they will do this. the word "expect" says so. now, let me ask you - are singaporeans not opportunists? is our talent not getting drained? instead of wondering why we have to resort to such measures, why not instead examine the root of the problem?

you are certainly exhibiting double standards - everything a foreigner can do, a singaporean can. a foreigner can exit with ease, a singaporean can too. a foreigner can contribute, so can a singaporean. so why do we need them to fill up the spaces? have you ever, ever thought about that?
    It seems like you have somethings in mind.
    Why not share with us your percieved "root of the problem"?
    Double Standards? Which two statements have contribute to double standards?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast