Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Million.

Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    let me say that it is even more nonsensical to assume that the foreigners who do not speak english will never learn how to speak english.
    It is also nonsensical not to assume that the foreigners who speak English but do not want to speak it will never want to speak it if you want to teach them to speak English and not pretending that they do not speak it even though they can speak it like every Singaporean who can and want to speak English.
    Last edited by Sion; 27th September 2008 at 07:57 PM.

Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    It is also nonsensical not to assume that the foreigners who speak English but do not want to speak it will never want to speak it if you want to teach them to speak English and not pretending that they do not speak it even though they can speak it like every Singaporean who can and want to speak English.

you always brighten up my day

can i marry you

I didn't expect to see something like this thread here.

Consider 1964 and the break away from Malaysia because the for-Malay government was troublesome. Now, I hear talk from Singapore that sounds like talk from Malaysia in 1964. Can this be real? Have you forgotten history so easily?

Many countries that do a lot of business have many foreigners living there. Some stay temporarily and others don't.

The U.S.A. is really strained now because white people feel that "their country" is being occupied by and perhaps owned by someone else. Yet, white people conquered the land and killed most of the natives.

Sure, your first instinct is to fear when the situation is no longer in your favour but if you start saying things like "Singapore for Singaporeans", you're going to cause yourself a lot of trouble without gaining anything positive.

It might be wise to learn Mandarin, though, just so you know they're not putting anything extra in your coffee. I hear a lot of Spanish here, instead of English, but as long as people act for a better life, what's really wrong with it? (Personally, I think they should learn English, but then, I think everyone should learn Japanese.)

what is a singaporean?

do you think being born here means that one is truly singaporean? i have met PRs born elsewhere who rebuff others born here when they say that they will run away in times of war. what do you say to that? i don't blame the latter, frankly, they probably have their reasons, but i think it ironic that people are kicking up a ruckus when one's being born in a place and growing up in it gives a result where there is no attachment to it. what good is a "singaporean" when the heart is not there?
    hmmm,.. would a pre-school er knows for certain wad he/she wants to be in the furture? at that age does it matter? go easy on that...

heart not there nevermind ah, just leave the ka-ching can liao...

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    hmmm,.. would a pre-school er knows for certain wad he/she wants to be in the furture? at that age does it matter? go easy on that...

...it wasn't little toddlers talking about playing soldiers.

more like people about to embark on university overseas. adults. kids are of course, forgiven if they want to go hunt eagles in times of trouble.. but to be born in a place and have no attachment to it.. it is either a case of a misfit.. or simply apathy. and apathy is extremely worrying.
    Last edited by night86mare; 27th September 2008 at 11:26 PM.

but at age 43 years since independance, S'pore is a very young nation leh...

just now i went to Dampsey jumbo seafood, majority of their stuff are from China.
    Objection !!!

word coined from apologetics?

i don't think identity is a major priority. sure, it's a good thing to have around, especially when you can wave it around and feel joyous that you have it. but does it actually do anything?

more importantly, do you think that singapore will actually have a solidified identity? other than the arguable unique perks of our "culture".. i think it is not hard to see that we sway with every global trend.

Identity is not something we can detach and view it separate from the context of the place that spawned it. Sure, it may be joyous to wave it, but at the fundamental sociological level, identity forms a toolkit for individuals to relate to others, and from them as well.

Is this swaying with the world a reactionary act, or proactive in nature. Food for thought, isn't it. Also, identity can have a fixed base with a flexible top. If that's what swaying is, it is a movement from an original point of reference.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Singapore will attain its world status as a Land of Opportunities.
    That's fairly relative. This article might interest some of you..

Changed Singapore Dream: Fleeing The City of Possibilities
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

actually, for the sake of being cordial

maybe you could answer the question:

what is a singaporean?

do you think being born here means that one is truly singaporean? i have met PRs born elsewhere who rebuff others born here when they say that they will run away in times of war. what do you say to that? i don't blame the latter, frankly, they probably have their reasons, but i think it ironic that people are kicking up a ruckus when one's being born in a place and growing up in it gives a result where there is no attachment to it. what good is a "singaporean" when the heart is not there?
    Bro.. I would like to inform you cordially that you have shifted my goal post again.
    I am making a proposition that with our current birth rate of 1.21, the number of imported Singaporean + foreign friends will be much greater than local born Singaporean when the 6.5 million population prophecy is fulfilled.

I think your question about the loyalty level of Singaporeans vs those of foreign born is totally out of my context. It is like you are trying to introduce some new contentious points into my statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Bro.. I would like to inform you cordially that you have shifted my goal post again.
    I am making a proposition that with our current birth rate of 1.21, the number of imported Singaporean + foreign friends will be much greater than local born Singaporean when the 6.5 million population prophecy is fulfilled.

I think your question about the loyalty level of Singaporeans vs those of foreign born is totally out of my context. It is like you are trying to introduce some new contentious points into my statement.
    If that is a statement, why make it if you do not wish for a debate or contention. We know it is probable that the demography will shift, but what's the point here?

Oh well. My two cents have been contributed.

with any increase in population, local or not, can our infrastructure cope?

transport, education, healthcare (scare?), security (food & water supply), housing demands, the need for personal (private) space and so on... would an increase in demand impact on those on the list?

if cannot cope then we'll see the ugly side of this topic go awry. are the signs of strain already here?

and my response, which you do not seem to get is:

so?

but at age 43 years since independance, S'pore is a very young nation leh...
    sure..

but young nations also have people who love them..

your analogy is ludicrous.

let me say that it is even more nonsensical to assume that the foreigners who do not speak english will never learn how to speak english. just look at the maids who came without any knowledge of english. after a while, they all hop ship to hong kong when they speak fluent english. that is why i question your opening post, it is very lacking in logic. like it or not, if someone stays in singapore long enough, they will learn to speak english. have you ever met anyone dwelling in london who didn't speak english, tourists notwithstanding?

Did anyboby here make a statement that the foreigners who do not speak english will never learn how to speak english. Or is it your own assumption to think someone here had assumed that the foreigners who do not speak english will never learn how to speak english?

In order not to let you wander too far off on your assumption, please allow me to tell you that my Grandpa have been living in Singapore for 85 years now, and he does not speak English at all. Is 85 years long enough?:

as a young nation, dun be too hard on her (nations are female in gender, as in motherland) lar. still young, identity not fully developed, everyday ask oso wont get concrete answer.

dun speak english nevermind, if there's demand MediaCorp may roll out 1 new channel. yay!
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 28th September 2008 at 12:12 AM.

Blog Entries

play nice or don't play at all

In order not to let you wander too far off on your assumption, please allow me to tell you that my Grandpa have been living in Singapore for 85 years now, and he does not speak English at all. Is 85 years long enough?:
    you grandpa need to earn money today? you ask the foreign workers whether they need to speak english lor.. i find it amusing that you can compare foreign workers to your grandpa, if i were him i would be very amused too!

how come just now make fun with grandma analogy.. now move out your ah kong.. i think you are overobsessed with the elderly.. have you been infected by the Sion auntie tfcd disease?

very amusing leh.. first say we need to learn foreign language to cater to foreign workers.. no no no that is not assuming that they will never learn english..

WHO is shifting the goalpost? everything suka you say one.. hurhur!
    Last edited by night86mare; 28th September 2008 at 12:14 AM.

dun speak english nevermind, if there's demand MediaCorp may roll out 1 new channel. yay!

quality >>>> quantity

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    Identity is not something we can detach and view it separate from the context of the place that spawned it. Sure, it may be joyous to wave it, but at the fundamental sociological level, identity forms a toolkit for individuals to relate to others, and from them as well.

Is this swaying with the world a reactionary act, or proactive in nature. Food for thought, isn't it. Also, identity can have a fixed base with a flexible top. If that's what swaying is, it is a movement from an original point of reference.
    fair enough.

i would think it more reactionary - singapore has probably been caught up in the rush of globalisation, and as others have already pointed out it is young. which probably makes it unique in this world of very old nations. couple this with its rapid development, and it's not hard to see why the people try to follow the jones even though the jones are doing different things everywhere. a very muddled mix, i would say sometimes.

just for clarification, when you talk about trends, what sort of trends are you talking about? societal? or something else - because that's what i'm referring to.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast