Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 125

Thread: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Million.

  1. #1

    Default Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Million.

    Scholar wants to push up Singapore population to 6.5 million.
    By that time and given the current Singaporean birth rate at 1.21, Singaporean will become the minority in Singapore.

    Current:
    Singaporean = 3.16 million.
    PR + our foreign friends = 1.68 million
    Ratio= 1.88 Sin : 1 foreigner.

    That means on the streets, we will have one foreign friends walking in between every two Singapore lang.

    It is high time we learn to speak a foreign language, especially Mandarin.
    If not, one day you may not get your food because you can't communicate with waiters/waitresses.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 27th September 2008 at 12:10 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    liddat wedding photographers need to update with many customs of other weddings.

    like how to shoot traditional Brazilian wedding...

  3. #3
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    can't help but feel like this is an anti immigration thread...
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    can't help but feel like this is an anti immigration thread...
    started out like 1 but how it developes or ends will depend on wad is posted.

    BTW, is there any radio stations in 'foreign' languages? i remember last time got 1 with a mix of german & japanese, but depends on timeslot, hard to follow....

  5. #5
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    started out like 1 but how it developes or ends will depend on wad is posted.

    BTW, is there any radio stations in 'foreign' languages? i remember last time got 1 with a mix of german & japanese, but depends on timeslot, hard to follow....
    go look online lor plenty there u can access online.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    xenophobia:

    an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange.

    what intent does this thread have? this is nonsensical to assume that foreigners cannot speak english. most foreigners i have met in singapore can speak english. with overgeneralisation you simply show that you do not respect people as human beings. if you cannot do such a simple thing as that, how can you respect yourself?
    Last edited by night86mare; 27th September 2008 at 04:16 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    the language of $$$ is universal!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    next time you dont even have to go aboard for a holiday because you will feel like in a foreign land right here, sounded by ang mos, ah-neh and mei mei

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Scholar wants to push up Singapore population to 6.5 million.
    By that time and given the current Singaporean birth rate at 1.21, Singaporean will become the minority in Singapore.

    Current:
    Singaporean = 3.16 million.
    PR + our foreign friends = 1.68 million
    Ratio= 1.88 Sin : 1 foreigner.

    That means on the streets, we will have one foreign friends walking in between every two Singapore lang.

    It is high time we learn to speak a foreign language, especially Mandarin.
    If not, one day you may not get your food because you can't communicate with waiters/waitresses.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    the language of $$$ is universal!
    Hmmm quite true. Even when its rupia

  10. #10
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Lee View Post
    next time you dont even have to go aboard for a holiday because you will feel like in a foreign land right here, sounded by ang mos, ah-neh and mei mei
    Suddenly this place is sounding like hwz and sammyboy...
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    xenophobia:

    an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange.

    what intent does this thread have? this is nonsensical to assume that foreigners cannot speak english. most foreigners i have met in singapore can speak english. with overgeneralisation you simply show that you do not respect people as human beings. if you cannot do such a simple thing as that, how can you respect yourself?
    I tot you have swear off Koptitiam for good. Anyway, welcome back..

    But I have to tell you, it makes you look really stupid if you think I am expressing xenophobia syndrome here.
    The problems you are facing is that you like to interpret others people words in your own context and adding malicious stings to it.

    Yes, it is nonsensical to assume that foreigners cannot speak English.
    It is equally stupid to assume that all foreigners can speak english when those foreigners you have met in Singapore can speak english.

    It is like the other time when people complain about high medical cost, you bash in and said "my grandma also hospitalised for the same period time also not so expensive".

  12. #12

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    Aiyoyo, Nightmare... Why delete yr post? It is ok for you to nit pick at my English..

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    Unmitigated apologetism isn't wise too..

    While the tone could do with some perspective, immigration is a major concern for a nation whose identity is still nascent.
    Last edited by LazerLordz; 27th September 2008 at 06:41 PM.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  14. #14

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    can't help but feel like this is an anti immigration thread...
    Sorry to disappoint you, it is not what you feel. It is not going to be an anti immigration thread.

    I have realised that foreign workers has formed an intergal part of our society. It is crucial to have them around and their departure will have a serious negative impact on our economy.

    Looking at one point - Housing.
    I think there was a report saying 25% of the resale flats were snap up by PRs.
    If these people and workers pull out of Singapore we might experince the sub-prime crisis in Singapore.
    I assume every Singaporean has a roof over the head now. When the birth rate is 1.21, the time will come for every two flat, one will be vacated when the parents passed on.
    I estimated there are about 40% or more work permit holders renting our flats.
    At the rate of $250 per head, these people pumped S$100,000,000 into our housing market every month.
    And I know alot of owners depends on the rental to pay off the housing loans.

  15. #15
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you, it is not what you feel. It is not going to be an anti immigration thread.

    I have realised that foreign workers has formed an intergal part of our society. It is crucial to have them around and their departure will have a serious negative impact on our economy.

    Looking at one point - Housing.
    I think there was a report saying 25% of the resale flats were snap up by PRs.
    If these people and workers pull out of Singapore we might experince the sub-prime crisis in Singapore.
    I assume every Singaporean has a roof over the head now. When the birth rate is 1.21, the time will come for every two flat, one will be vacated when the parents passed on.
    I estimated there are about 40% or more work permit holders renting our flats.
    At the rate of $250 per head, these people pumped S$100,000,000 into our housing market every month.
    And I know alot of owners depends on the rental to pay off the housing loans.
    that's good but someone else has already seen fit to throw slurs around already...
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    Unmitigated apologetism isn't wise too..

    While the tone could do with some perspective, immigration is a major concern for a nation whose identity is still nascent.
    word coined from apologetics?

    i don't think identity is a major priority. sure, it's a good thing to have around, especially when you can wave it around and feel joyous that you have it. but does it actually do anything?

    more importantly, do you think that singapore will actually have a solidified identity? other than the arguable unique perks of our "culture".. i think it is not hard to see that we sway with every global trend.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you, it is not what you feel. It is not going to be an anti immigration thread.

    I have realised that foreign workers has formed an intergal part of our society. It is crucial to have them around and their departure will have a serious negative impact on our economy.
    actually, for the sake of being cordial

    maybe you could answer the question:

    what is a singaporean?

    do you think being born here means that one is truly singaporean? i have met PRs born elsewhere who rebuff others born here when they say that they will run away in times of war. what do you say to that? i don't blame the latter, frankly, they probably have their reasons, but i think it ironic that people are kicking up a ruckus when one's being born in a place and growing up in it gives a result where there is no attachment to it. what good is a "singaporean" when the heart is not there?
    Last edited by night86mare; 27th September 2008 at 06:56 PM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post

    Yes, it is nonsensical to assume that foreigners cannot speak English.
    It is equally stupid to assume that all foreigners can speak english when those foreigners you have met in Singapore can speak english.
    your analogy is ludicrous.

    let me say that it is even more nonsensical to assume that the foreigners who do not speak english will never learn how to speak english. just look at the maids who came without any knowledge of english. after a while, they all hop ship to hong kong when they speak fluent english. that is why i question your opening post, it is very lacking in logic. like it or not, if someone stays in singapore long enough, they will learn to speak english. have you ever met anyone dwelling in london who didn't speak english, tourists notwithstanding?
    Last edited by night86mare; 27th September 2008 at 06:59 PM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    Unmitigated apologetism isn't wise too..

    While the tone could do with some perspective, immigration is a major concern for a nation whose identity is still nascent.
    It is really nice to be able to see Samba dances and hear those bag pipe tunes during our F1 carnival. That's the wonder of immigration.

    But planning for 6.5 million. It is like saying:
    1) Singapore will enter World Cup stage by 2010.
    2) Singaporean will live like a Swiss.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Singapore Population 4.84 Million. Singaporean will become Minority at 6.5 Millio

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Lee View Post
    next time you dont even have to go aboard for a holiday because you will feel like in a foreign land right here, sounded by ang mos, ah-neh and mei mei
    Singapore will attain its world status as a Land of Opportunities.

Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •