Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Help Leh Please?

  1. #1

    Smile Help Leh Please?

    Presuming you like taking photographs during travels, landscapes, portraits and small gatherings and have no past experience in this line and this would be your first DSLR which option of the below would you go for?

    Option A: D90 + 18-70 + 70-300 VR + 50 1.8 + SB-600
    Option B: 50D + 18-55 + 55-250 IS + 50 1.8 + Speedlite 430 EX
    Option C: 50D + 18-200 + 50 1.8 + Speedlite 430 EX
    Anyone have any news or reviews on Tamron 18-270?
    HELP: Anyone can help me plan a package/equipment list (consisting of just lenses) list if I get a second-hand D300.
    (Budget: 2.6-3k (Not Including Flash, Bags, Dry Cabi, Accessories)
    Last edited by Beerbashers; 28th September 2008 at 09:15 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    5,631

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    Comparing options b and c: If you need cheaper full-coverage of 18-200mm, get option B at the expense of bringing 3 lenses around (instead of 2).
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,002

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    if you are really JUST starting off i'd suggest you go for the lower end d60 and a good walk-around lens like the 18-200VR.. or even just the 18-70 will suffice..

  4. #4

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    But which will give u better IQ? Option B or C?
    Need more help in choosing and your opinions on which is REALLY better in terms of IQ among the three options

  5. #5

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerbashers View Post
    Presuming you like taking photographs during travels, landscapes, portraits and small gatherings and have no past experience in this line and this would be your first DSLR which option of the below would you go for?

    Option A: D90 + 18-70 + 70-300 VR + 50 1.8 + SB-600
    Option B: 50D + 18-55 + 55-250 IS + 50 1.8 + Speedlite 430 EX
    Option C: 50D + 18-200 + 50 1.8 + Speedlite 430 EX
    Free Mix And Match Option: 50D/D90 + Sigma 18-50 + 55-250 IS/70-300 VR + 50 1.8 + Speedlite 430 EX/SB-600
    My take is that just grab the D90 with its kit lens, a 50mm F/1.8 and a SB-600. It is a good and compact set which would be adequet for travelling, landscapes, portraits and small gatherings. Further more, this set would definately be cheaper than a 50D equivilent combo. Total it would be around $2200-$2300.

    It would also be a good starter kit for you to learn and experience photography. If you are still undecided, head down to your your favourite camera shop and try them out. That should help you decide cheers

  6. #6

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    I only intend to change lenses after 2 years and DSLR after 5-6 years so definitely will invest on he bodies. So if you were me which would you choose over those 3 options please tell me.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    I might be wrong, but your options list give me an impression that you are trying to "cover as much range" as possible.

    Are these the only lenses you would consider, or would you accept recommendations of lenses with higher IQ, but less range?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    No I am not trying to cover more range. I am just looking for options that are suitable and give me good IQ during travels. 70-300 VR certainly has proven that it does even at 300mm. And during travels and school events you sure would need the range. 55-250IS also proved its a capable lens as well. So I'm stuck and do not now what to choose from and thats why need u guys to help me.
    Last edited by Beerbashers; 27th September 2008 at 08:38 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    For myself, most of my travel shots and event (performance) shots are taken with the 17-55mm IS. Ironically, I rent this lens rather than own it.

    I can't say that it serves 100% of my needs, but the rare occasions that I find myself needing another range made me think I do not really need to spend money on another lens.

    What I'm trying to say is that maybe you figure out what are the ranges you will be using, and then invest your money to get a good quality one from that range.

  10. #10
    Member alexyap1205's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    170

    Smile Re: Help Leh Please?

    Quote Originally Posted by doom102938 View Post
    My take is that just grab the D90 with its kit lens, a 50mm F/1.8 and a SB-600. It is a good and compact set which would be adequet for travelling, landscapes, portraits and small gatherings. Further more, this set would definately be cheaper than a 50D equivilent combo. Total it would be around $2200-$2300.

    It would also be a good starter kit for you to learn and experience photography. If you are still undecided, head down to your your favourite camera shop and try them out. That should help you decide cheers
    I would suggest the same thing. D90 + Kit + 50mm F1.8D + SB600/SB800. The 18-105 VR covers a nice range specially during small events.

    Hope this helps.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    Haha. If you really want a good and durable body, Nikon D300 would give you tonnes of room to grow. Its a rather advanced camera, so dont expect to know how to use it on the first day. But when you know how to use it, it would be a really good camera. It should last quite a while. Then allocate some budget for the lens and acessories and you are good to go

  12. #12

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerbashers View Post
    Anyone have any news or reviews on Tamron 18-270? Because, if it give good IQ it certainly would be a good all-purpose lens and convenient too.
    do you think

    a superzoom lens is going to give good iq?

    i mean, good is relative.. but suffice to say the extreme coverage needed will not give good optics.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    Quote Originally Posted by doom102938 View Post
    Haha. If you really want a good and durable body, Nikon D300 would give you tonnes of room to grow. Its a rather advanced camera, so dont expect to know how to use it on the first day. But when you know how to use it, it would be a really good camera. It should last quite a while. Then allocate some budget for the lens and acessories and you are good to go
    Sure! Will check it out. Anyone can help me plan a set along with a second hand D300 if I have a budget of around 2.6-2.8k (might stretch to 3k) not counting accessories (flash, bag. dry cabi and cards). I know it might be difficult but can anyone help me?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    apparently audio house is giving away a electronic dry cabinet (previously was dry box), battery grip, tripod, bag, cleaning kit, 2 x 4GB card as part of the freebies this time round if you buy D90.

    wonder how much they selling.

  15. #15
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,584

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    Quote Originally Posted by anglejn View Post
    apparently audio house is giving away a electronic dry cabinet (previously was dry box), battery grip, tripod, bag, cleaning kit, 2 x 4GB card as part of the freebies this time round if you buy D90.

    wonder how much they selling.
    Hello anglejn,

    We have done a search and noticed from most of your previous posts that you have repeatedly promoting audio house. Please take note that it is against Clubsnap's policy for any member to join the forum for the sole purpose of constantly promoting any commercial entity as this action is considered spamming. We will be watching you and will not hesitate to take action against you should you continue to perform such action.

    Thank you for your cooperation.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    Hey there,

    Not sure how to answer your question on A, B or C, but if I had to pick, I'd go A. Hmm, mebbe cos I prefer Nikon also.... ha....

    I just started not too long ago too. Here's what I did and in the order. Got 1-7 at just above 3K.... heh.....

    1. D40x Body only : Got this at a good deal but I am pretty happy with it. Small and a bonus while travelling....

    2. Nikon 18-135mm : Good coverage for me to travel light. Moderate IQ.

    3. Nikon 70-300VR : Damn good IQ and reach. VR is necessary at the long end without tripod so I can zoom in on birds etc too.

    4. Nikon 50mm f1.8 : This is manual for the D40x but no big deal for me ..... cheap and good lens with nice bokeh.

    5. SB600 Flash : Basic flash. Can use as slave if I progress later.

    6. Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 : A second manual lens, but this the the BEST UWA ! I absolutely go crazy with this when I get to places with nice buildings, scenery etc....

    7. Sigma 150mm Macro f2.8 : Added this to allow macro photography..... Great lens and can double up as a intermediate fixed tele as well.

    I pack :-
    - 1-2 when I want to travel light
    - 1-3 when under normal circumstances of travel
    - 1-3 + 6 when I know there's things to cover : Also when I walk around SG

    Learnt that the skills allow better shots & the lens allow creativity. Body wise, not as important it seems as the prints I do is like small ? So, noise etc dont turn up and I dont really crop my photos. Just take the shots as they are almost all the time....

    Hope this helps. Happy shooting !
    Snap ?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    Quote Originally Posted by ianwurn View Post
    I just started not too long ago too. Here's what I did and in the order. Got 1-7 at just above 3K.... heh.....
    Where do you buy your equipment?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerbashers View Post
    Sure! Will check it out. Anyone can help me plan a set along with a second hand D300 if I have a budget of around 2.6-2.8k (might stretch to 3k) not counting accessories (flash, bag. dry cabi and cards). I know it might be difficult but can anyone help me?
    Yes. Please note that D60/D40x/D40 does not have a screw drive auto focus motor, thus can only focus with AFS which has a built in auto focusing motor. Only the mid-range onwards has the autofocus motor. On a long term, this might be a factor to consider.

    Nikon D300(Brand new) : $2100
    Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 : Around $600-$700
    Total:$2700-$2800

    If you buy second hand, you can get a 50mm F/1.8 also. When you are ready, you can buy specialised lens next time. For example, you are interested in marco photography, you can invest in a marco lens. If you are interested in sports photography, you can invest in a "fast' lens like a 70-200mm F/2.8 VR or a prime(you also have a high performance high fps camera should you have a d300 with the battery grip.) So yah, I think you get the general idea

  19. #19

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    I would personally go with the set which is most 'user-friendly' for me. I went to test out Nikon and Canon cameras, and I didn't feel comfortable with the Canon cameras, so I went with Nikon instead. Each camera does have its pros and cons, but you should go with what 'feels best' for you.

    Next, if you're just starting out, start with the kit lens. Familiarise yourself with shooting and everything, as well as your camera functions etc. From the looks of your post, you seem to be covering range. So why not get the 18-200mm VR (if you're looking towards Nikon), as it's a good 'walk-about' and rather 'range-y' lens? Also, you should head down to Nikon Service Centre (NSC) or the Canon Service Centre to play with their lenses they have there. From what I know, you would have to make an appointment for the Canon Service Centre. For NSC, you can just pop in any time to test out lenses, ask questions etc.

    Also, when it comes to lenses, you should familiarise yourself with your lens as well. Like cameras, each lens has its pros and cons. Personally, if you're getting the D90, it comes with a 18-105mm VR lens. I think this is good enough for starters. I personally own a D80 with the 18-135 kit lens (my only lens thus far, cause I'm a poor student ><), and I rarely go beyond the 70mm mark... Of course, it all depends on what subject you are shooting. I notice that you're going for 50mm f/1.8 for all your options, which is a real fun lens used for portraits etc. That's understandable.

    For flash wise, I think that the SB-600 is... lame... I own the SB-900, and have used the SB-600 before as well. SB-600 is good for starters, but in the long run, maybe you wanna invest in the SB-900. Not too sure about Canon, cause I rarely use it.

    If I were you, I would go for B or C, although I'm a Nikon user. Maybe it's because for A, the 18-70mm is only average and the 70-300mm is not worth the money in my opinion. But like I said, test out the cameras and lenses you wanna buy. The most important thing is to 'have the feel' when you're using your camera. What does it mean to 'have the feel'? You'll know when you pick up the camera.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    serangoon
    Posts
    3,042

    Default Re: Help Leh Please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerbashers View Post
    I only intend to change lenses after 2 years and DSLR after 5-6 years so definitely will invest on he bodies. So if you were me which would you choose over those 3 options please tell me.

    hi !

    get a second-hand D300+17-55mm-------3-3.3k ......

    give you tonnes of room to grow !
    *only change DSLR after 2 -3 years and 17-55mm after 5-6 years or 10 years after

    tungtong2008

    .
    I TRY to...Keep the lines of communication open, can U?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tungtong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •