Thread: Mood in portraits...and any photos!!

Default Mood in portraits...and any photos!!

Hi guys,

maybe I'm too new but I somehow realise the photos of people I have shot lacks a strong feel or look. I'm guessing it's the lack of mood setting.

I understand the basics of photography, lighting, composition, framing, timing, etc.

But I think I do need some suggestions in capturing moods. Strong and dramatic moods.

I do also understand, however, that mood is an individual thing which has to be found and so not giving up. Just looking for a stroke of enlightenment here.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Mood in portraits...and any photos!!

Maybe the first step is to start asking yourself "what do I like about the picture" when you see a good picture? When you've gotten the answer, ask yourself again, "how can I mimic that?" It would probably not be easy at first, but with time you will be able to get the touch. And then you could go on to develop your own style by asking "how can I do it differently and make it better to suit me". Ultimately, like what you said, "mood is an individual thing which has to be found", and you'll have to find it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by photographer20 View Post
    Hi guys,

maybe I'm too new but I somehow realise the photos of people I have shot lacks a strong feel or look. I'm guessing it's the lack of mood setting.

I understand the basics of photography, lighting, composition, framing, timing, etc.

But I think I do need some suggestions in capturing moods. Strong and dramatic moods.

I do also understand, however, that mood is an individual thing which has to be found and so not giving up. Just looking for a stroke of enlightenment here.

Thanks in advance

Does the below qualify as your moody pix ?
    I'll be happy to get 1 out of 100 pix,
    guess you need to shoot a lot,
    and also to have a good rapport with your subject.

Best is to get photos of people during an event. Priceless faces are often captured there, you just have to wait for it. The trick is just to click away. Click, click, click.....
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|