21 16.94%
  • 70% of new set

55 44.35%
  • 60% of new set

25 20.16%
  • 50% of new set

22 17.74%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much are you willing to pay for used items?

Default Re: How much are you willing to pay for used items?

Quote Originally Posted by Anatta View Post
    If I'm not wrong, Nikon DSLR will reset the counter to 0 after 10,000 shots. Is it true??? I think I read it somewhere in Dpreview

A lot of people here sell their Nikon said that 2 years or so camera with user marks but claim the shutter count just only 5000 or so, sometimes I feel it don't make any senses.... CMIIW
    now this is something new

I'm not sure what is the point of this thread. Even if 99.99% of ppl who voted say they will only buy 2nd hand if the price is 70% of new it doesn't change the transaction price in buy n sell. It only means 99.99% are going to buy new instead of 2nd hand. When it comes to the time for these 99.99% of ppl to sell the lenses they don't need do you think they will sell at 70% or will they aim for 80-85%? Something to think about......

Quote Originally Posted by Anatta View Post
    If I'm not wrong, Nikon DSLR will reset the counter to 0 after 10,000 shots. Is it true??? I think I read it somewhere in Dpreview

A lot of people here sell their Nikon said that 2 years or so camera with user marks but claim the shutter count just only 5000 or so, sometimes I feel it don't make any senses.... CMIIW
    Ask for a latest shots and use Opanda EXIF reader, if the shutter have reset 1 round, the Opanda will reflect as 15,000 clicks

[QUOTE=glennyong;4385795]

in singapore... pple will want to LOSE as LITTLE as they can....

QUOTE]

Why only in singapore? you mean, elsewhere, people want to lose more?

Quote Originally Posted by zj2000 View Post
    I'm not sure what is the point of this thread......
    the point of this thread is the same as the other 1,000,001 threads here in CS... if u think it is pointless, it is pointless....

and if u have missed my first post, I have mentioned that the agreed price will always be between the buyer and the seller. wat i am trying to find out is how much the majority of CSers are willing to fork out for used items. whether eventually they were sucessful in buying it used or new is not my intended interest to know.

at least from the result of the poll now, i kno i am in the majority.

and jus for the records, for items i have sold thru CS B&S, they were sold at less than 70% of a new set.
    Last edited by wf7850; 29th September 2008 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEnd View Post
    Ask for a latest shots and use Opanda EXIF reader, if the shutter have reset 1 round, the Opanda will reflect as 15,000 clicks
    So it's true that Nikon camera will reset the counter to 0 after 10,000 exposure.

Btw thank you very much for your info about opanda, but I dunno why my opanda after a while always start to not working until I uninsatll and then install it again.

Highest that I would pay for a 2nd hand goods is up till 70%, depending on the condition in real life. Anything higher, I would prefer to buy brand new...

Quote Originally Posted by shuttergal View Post
    Actually 70% of the items sold here are by 2nd or 3rd or even 4th owner. Only about 30% to 40% are really bought brand new and sold off here.

Question is if you were to buy an used item for 30% off new, 6 months down the road when you decided to sell... would you drop another 10% or 20%? It hardly happens in CS Most items are sold exactly at the price or even higher than 6 months ago. How much you are willing to pay for a used item very subjective

If a student were to ask for student discount saying just Sec 2 and blah blah blah... so you take off another $30.

2 weeks later, he would be selling here the very same item for $30-$50 dollars higher.

Personal experience Not once, not twice, not thrice but many times.
    i think student or no student should be the same price.
    besides if the student really no $$$ then this hobby can always wait since they have to manage their studies as well, or else they can always go work part-time then.

Quote Originally Posted by kennmail View Post
    This is so very true. Another kind of experience is the owner sellin old models' cams( mayb 3 yrs or older) n claims cam seldom used...gd condition..v well taken care of and also tt cam is a hot reviewed model back den. I noe 3 yrs back even prosumers can easily cost more(at 1000+) den a entry level DSLR w kit lens today. However, prices of today's technology for cams have r much cheaper for new models at the same time w surpassed technology. So I do think old cam sellers should take note of tt and nt expect to fetch a price for their old cams at which I can easily top up to get a new current model.

Just my 2 cents of opinion and no offence to anyone
    for sellers selling at high price, you can always chose to ignore, don't even bother to pm them saying your price too high, waste of your time.
    there's all kinds of funny deals over in the internet, not surprising at all.

my practice of selling stuff is to follow the 2nd-hand market value.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    i think student or no student should be the same price.
    besides if the student really no $$$ then this hobby can always wait since they have to manage their studies as well, or else they can always go work part-time then.
    got seller tell me they rather sell to another buyer cos the fella is a student, even though i offered higher!

Quote Originally Posted by clioboy View Post
    got seller tell me they rather sell to another buyer cos the fella is a student, even though i offered higher!
    well is known that some students here in CS, has a bad reputation as a buyer, i got 1 in my ignore list and is a lady bargain hunter as well...
    Last edited by Simon_84; 3rd October 2008 at 10:56 PM.

another thing to consider is what is the age of the used item?

like comparing a KM 7D and a Pentax K200D. The 7D used to be a pricier above-entry-level Dslr while a K200D is an entry level dslr, but one is launched in 2004 and the other in 2008. Considering the 4 yr difference, should they be sold about the same resale price?

Quote Originally Posted by shuttergal View Post
    Personal experience Not once, not twice, not thrice but many times.
    aiyoh, next time just don't give discount la. a bit mean, but..

even when i was younger, i never did ask for discounts unless the seller had already offered student prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    for sellers selling at high price, you can always chose to ignore, don't even bother to pm them saying your price too high, waste of your time......
    but the problem is the first 3 pages of B&S are cluttered with all these threads with no responses at all (excl TS own posts to UPZ the thread.... ). wan to ignore also need to take some time....

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Interesting to read this thread and the opinions. I noticed that here in SG people are very keen to have brand-new items and second-hand is only an option if the budget dictates so.
    In my home country (Germany) it is different. People don't really bother much about brand-new or not; as long as the item is working properly it's fine. There the question goes "Why spending 100% for an item if I can get the same for 80% or less?", thus resulting in a vibrant second-hand market with lots of people buying and selling stuffs (e.g. at eBay). And: nobody expects new items for 70% of the price. That would rather cause suspicion whether the item is a fake one.
    But its different over here..... they can drop the lens and have fungus and they will still try to sell it off as mint. People are abit more ambitious of getting the most out of their "unwanted" product. Whereas overseas, people tend to be open and honest about the products they are selling. This is just my experience and general opinion..........

FI, I am a Sinkapolean............
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12