Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirror, Mirror

Default Re: Mirror, Mirror

Mirrors are a nightmare!

However, modern DSLRs also use flash-to-subject distance to calculate flash exposures, and are less likely to be affected by the reflectivity of a subject, provided direct flash is used.

If in the worst case scenario where everwhere also got mirror, including the ceiling, shoot direct, but from a slightly lower standpoint such that the subjects will block the mirror behind them. Make the subject fill the frame as much as possible.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Caleb, how would a movie director look at a problem like this?
    Given unlimited budget?

Remove all interior fitted lights, put his own lights in place, and shoot the film with ceiling lights of much higher intensity than the ballroom lights.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Given unlimited budget?

Remove all interior fitted lights, put his own lights in place, and shoot the film with ceiling lights of much higher intensity than the ballroom lights.
    No lah ... we talking reality here mah ... cannot remove existing fixtures ... but what kind of lights and any modifiers would you use ... and what's the span and pitch of the roof?

I already have something in mind ...

No lah ... we talking reality here mah ... cannot remove existing fixtures ... but what kind of lights and any modifiers would you use ... and what's the span and pitch of the roof?

I already have something in mind ...
    Go with Redheads (800W) bounced off the ceiling i guess...or get a lot of Kino-flos and C-stand them near the ceiling and be careful not to include the stands in the shots or reflections.

There's also the option of Lowel's Tota-light, as that is a small, unobtrusive light source with output strength of 800W. Lowel's system allows you to attach lighting umbrellas as well, so that's an option to modify your light. Tungsten lights have the advantage here, as most ballrooms are lit with tungsten balance lights (or close). One hotel I shot in, though, had very bad colour balance. Some lights were tungsten balanced, while the rest were old, aging fluorescents that were more yellow than the tungstens - a right headache to get the WB right.

If the photographer has light stands and remote flashes/constant lights, they'd definitely make his life easier (provided he has experience handling them proficiently and on the fly).
    Last edited by calebk; 27th September 2008 at 12:43 AM.

Go with Redheads (800W) bounced off the ceiling i guess...or get a lot of Kino-flos and C-stand them near the ceiling and be careful not to include the stands in the shots or reflections.

There's also the option of Lowel's Tota-light, as that is a small, unobtrusive light source with output strength of 800W. Lowel's system allows you to attach lighting umbrellas as well, so that's an option to modify your light. Tungsten lights have the advantage here, as most ballrooms are lit with tungsten balance lights (or close). One hotel I shot in, though, had very bad colour balance. Some lights were tungsten balanced, while the rest were old, aging fluorescents that were more yellow than the tungstens - a right headache to get the WB right.

If the photographer has light stands and remote flashes/constant lights, they'd definitely make his life easier (provided he has experience handling them proficiently and on the fly).
    Interesting, to say the least!

BTW, I'm partial to mounted suspended broad lights that's WBed to match the existing lights, or if like yr case of the problematic hotel, blow over the existing lights. Any kind of lights that are stand mounted poses potential problems in the case of a mirrored octagonal room. Bounced and diffused, since any sort of 'down' lights might aggravate the 'eye-bags' effect.

Hopefully, this helps the TS when discussing with the potential photographers.

Interesting, to say the least!

BTW, I'm partial to mounted suspended broad lights that's WBed to match the existing lights, or if like yr case of the problematic hotel, blow over the existing lights. Any kind of lights that are stand mounted poses potential problems in the case of a mirrored octagonal room. Bounced and diffused, since any sort of 'down' lights might aggravate the 'eye-bags' effect.

Hopefully, this helps the TS when discussing with the potential photographers.
    You won't be able to suspend lights unless there's existing light riggings on the ceiling of the hotel ballroom. Something to take note.

Chances are, most hotels don't have ceiling light mounts for additional lights; if they did, it would be at the sides, and they would only point to the stage. I was at Westin Stamford shooting a dinner event. The lights/sound company brought additional Cans for stage lights, but they had to bring their own stands and mount them high at the back.

no problem with eye-bags. lay the entire floor with white reflective material. haha!
    Last edited by reachme2003; 27th September 2008 at 09:04 PM.

You won't be able to suspend lights unless there's existing light riggings on the ceiling of the hotel ballroom. Something to take note.

Chances are, most hotels don't have ceiling light mounts for additional lights; if they did, it would be at the sides, and they would only point to the stage. I was at Westin Stamford shooting a dinner event. The lights/sound company brought additional Cans for stage lights, but they had to bring their own stands and mount them high at the back.
    For photographic purposes, rather than cinematic lights, there are possible avenues even without ceiling racks or tracks installed ... but it takes a bit of innovation and thinking outta box ... possibly. I haven't actually tried it ... yet, so it's all theoretical right now ...

Was just wondering if funhome and his or her fiancée found a photographer that worked out a good solution, and what that solution was?

Hehe think of it as a giant reflector on all sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    Haha let's be creative. Why not place 8 slave flash guns, each pointing towards 1 of the 8 mirrors? So when the photographer fire flash from his cam, the whole ballroom will be illuminated, no corner left dark

why not request the restorant to coverup all the mirror?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Maybe part of the attraction of the venue is the mirrors itself, besides the shape of the room?

Anyway, TS hasn't posted since June, so doubt if he/she will come back and see this.

Maybe part of the attraction of the venue is the mirrors itself, besides the shape of the room?

Anyway, TS hasn't posted since June, so doubt if he/she will come back and see this.
    Yes, the attraction is the mirrors itself and it is a double edged sword.
    We did ask around photography agencies and their answers are not really confident.
    We asked bridal forums and none could provide any pics or solutions (maybe few have had their wedding there since the ballroom was recently renovated)

I would really love to see sample pics but haven't had any luck, so we have been sourcing for alternative venues. We don't think its worth risking it until we are convinced.

Shot wedding dinner in the same ballroom a few years back, not sure how the present mirror wall look like...
    IIRC the ceiling or the ballroom is not very high, if just do a ceiling bounce, mirror won't be such a big issue, any experience photographers know how to handle this.
    anyway, if really really that bad, the hotel will received lots of complains from wedding couples about the photos of the ballroom all KNS.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Hi Funhome,

Really hope that you find a good venue, or a good photographer.

Catchlights, my idea was not very different from Caleb's - some kind of diffused light from the ceiling.

The only difference is that (speaking before seeing location) we were thinking of the origination of the light coming from the ceiling, instead of coming from ground level (to avoid any possibility of reflections or hot-spots).

Hi Funhome,

Really hope that you find a good venue, or a good photographer.

Catchlights, my idea was not very different from Caleb's - some kind of diffused light from the ceiling.

The only difference is that (speaking before seeing location) we were thinking of the origination of the light coming from the ceiling, instead of coming from ground level (to avoid any possibility of reflections or hot-spots).
    I remember some US wedding photographers did the lighting set up for reception (similar to our wedding dinner here but have a dance floor), is to set up studio lights in the hall like stadium lighting, all lights are trigger by radio trigger and set at different groups, so at one time is only two lights fired, depends on where the photographer position.

don't think it is practical here as most people don't dance during wedding dinner, but I do encounter some wedding dinner have Karaoke, some even held it like company D&D or ge tai.....
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12