Thread: Which camera would you bring to Tibet? Pls advise

Cool Which camera would you bring to Tibet? Pls advise

Any kind soul out there,

I'm going to Tibet for the first time but don't know which gear to bring. I have a EOS 5 + 19-35mm & 28-300mm lens, and a Fuji 602Z. I can only bring one because confirm will carry a Sony camcorder + light tripod along too. I can't bring all because if gears too heavy then I won't be able to enjoy the trip already. No trekking, only sightseeing.

EOS 5 + lens / 602Z??? Please advise. Thanks in advance

i think 602z will be more portable. With SLR still need to lug along yr lenses and cam bag.

btw, i m very interested in going tibet too. may i know how much will it cost, including flight/accom/food etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo
    Any kind soul out there,

I'm going to Tibet for the first time but don't know which gear to bring. I have a EOS 5 + 19-35mm & 28-300mm lens, and a Fuji 602Z. I can only bring one because confirm will carry a Sony camcorder + light tripod along too. I can't bring all because if gears too heavy then I won't be able to enjoy the trip already. No trekking, only sightseeing.

the 19-35 would be good for scenary shots that the 602 wun be able to do..

if i have the same gear as u, i will leave the fuji 602 behind. bring the eos 5 and lot of ASA 100 Films. as for my style of photography i wil;l bring the 17-35 zoom. But will bring along 28 to 200 as spare.

option two is bring eos with 17-35 and 602, and leave the video at home.

Deregistered

Any kind soul out there,

Was there about 2 years ago. Spend most of my time in remote areas, so battery was a major problem. Many areas out of the city & big town may have limited electricity, so I think the EOS 5 might be a better idea if you plan to goto remote locations. Plenty of chance to use your wide angle lens, bring it!!

BTW, in case you are not aware, high altitute sickness is a real issue
    there. Prepare to spend some time just to sit it out.

How is your itenary like?

andylee
    Guests

tink it will be better to bring slr & your 19-35 lens with 28-300 lens. don't think the 602z is wide enough loh.

depends on a coupla things:
    1) length of stay
    2) access to electricity
    3) what you intend to take (landscape vs portraits vs wildlife)
    4) where you intend to go (mountain vs plains vs lhasa only)

personally i'll bring an FM2 with three lens. wide angle, mid zoom, telephoto + sturdy tripod for those beautiful long exposures at night.

I was there about 3 months ago. I had a Canon G1 with me while my friend uses an Oly DSLR.
    Power availability is generally not a problem. Only places that will be a prob are the lakes and base camps. Hence if you are heading to NamTso and/or YamdrokTso, and Qomolongma, you will have issues. I had a spare battery and that works fine.
    The real prob is not really charging of batteries but that the batteries do not work well in the cold environment. I found that my batteries seem to run out of power very, very fast. That applies to the battery of the X-drive as well. It is advisable that you put your unused battery behind the windscreen of your vehicle when travelling so that it is in the sun.
    The pictures that you might want to take consists mainly of landscape and (lots of) people shots. So you may want to decide on the lens to carry if you are bringing a conventional camera. I find a good zoom to be rather useful esp "stealing" those portrait shots.
    The plateau is generally (esp at this time) bright & sunny. So, if you are bringing films/slides, I recommend more of 100's.

BTW aside from photographic matters, a few pointers generally about health and well being while in Tibet.

-take it easy for the first day or 2 esp if you are not the regular trekking type used to higher attitudes. Lhasa itself is already over 3000m.
    - advisable to drink lots of water.
    - bring warm clothing. It can get VERY cold. One of the nights at Namtso, with 5 in a tent, a bottle of water left standing on the table was frozen the next morning!
    - you will likely to find difficulty in breathing while sleeping even if you are fine during the day. Don't panic -sleep sitting up, then.
    - you will be able to get more photo opportunities with people - old and young- with a digicam. Reason is that you can show them the result immediately and they are really thrill with that & so more likely to allow or want you to photo them.

Have fun.

Dear folks,

Thanks for all the input and they're really helpful

Quote Originally Posted by horizoner
    i m very interested in going tibet too. may i know how much will it cost, including flight/accom/food etc?
    Horizoner,
    It's a tour package, 8 days at $1560 with meals + round trip air ticket + hotel. There's a buddist festival (I don't know the English name of it)on the 27th this month which is one of the most important festival for the Tibetans.

Because of this festival so that's why must bring camcorder to capture performances. Will go to those tourist sightseeing places but not to the Mountain because if go for the 10D with mountain tour costs me $2.6K+, out of budget.

horizoner, djchris, howie, frisky, andylee, rochkoh, block306, thanks for all of your replies and tips. The sales lady of the tour agency mentioned that I'll definitely have headache at night and it's normal. Guess have to bring tons of Panadxx, flu and control diarrea medicine along

Then the next question is: what brand of 100 is good that can both capture people and scenery? I guess my movement there will be quite slow and am not good at changing film half way. Will shoot in film. Another advise?
    Last edited by Amigo; 15th August 2003 at 01:12 AM.

Deregistered

8 days on a tour package means you'll probably stick to the main
    tourist areas, which electricity aren't much of an issue.

To be realistic, if you stay at a level close to lhasa (3700m), the first 2 days will be sort of spend resting + some light sightseeing.

As much as you want to get out and make the best use of your time
    there, you do need to reduce strenuous activity as much as you can, so that you can adapt quickly and be able make good use of the later days.

You might not get headache, or facing other discomfort. It really
    depends on individual. However, don't exert just because you are ok,
    or you'll find yourself feeling unwell. Even simple things like carrying your backpack up to 2nd or 3rd floor should be avoided if possible.

Potala palace with its huge array of stairs is a bad idea until at least the 3rd day, and locations that are higher (even 4000m) should be reserved for the last days of the trip.

Flim is very much a personal preference, I use Fuji 400/800 and Provia 100. You'll likely to be shooting a lot of buildings, temples, people and some scenary, so slides can be a good choice too.

Be forewarn that many halls within temples might require you to pay additional fees to bring your camera in (legally) and these fees can be very substancial, with the fees for videocam way higher.

You might want to bring it in discretely, and these will be low light photography. The halls are generally big enough that flash will not be useful.

Thanks frisky for your tips. Just now after confirmed the trip and paid, the sale lady said must bring a lot of medicine, last time there was a Japanese there couldn't make it!

She also told me not to bring so many things because I may not have the strength to carry them around.

Anyway, thanks for your advise

Hi everyone,

I am the tour organiser for a small group to Nepal in the coming Oct.
    Of course, Tibet will be top of the list for our next destination.

There are 2 popular ways to land on Tibet.

1) Take a flight to Chengdu and take Lhasa Airline to Lhasa or fly to Kathmandu and take Lhasa Airline to Lhasa. The fatest way but give u no time to acclimatize the hight altitude.

2) Take a flight to Kathmandu. And take a land tour with Nepalese agent to Tibet. They will drive a 4WD, cut through the Himalayan Range and head up to Lhasa. The secenary along the journey is extremely beautiful. THe journey will take 3D2N. U will stop by more places, and u have more time to get your body to adapt to the altitude.

I would strongly recommend the 2nd option and of course, next year when my group is heading to Tibet, we will go for this route.

Ideally, a person should go 1000m above sea level per day without having to suffer severe altitude sickness. Lhasa is around 4500m above sea level (for becnhmarking, peak of Mt Kinabalu, highest peak in SEA, is 4083m).

Imagine if u hike, u take 5 days to reach this level. Taking a flilght, u are a sudden change within 2hours to reach such a level. It could be a bit risky. If one can;t tahan anymore, u need to leave Lhasa immediately. Any delay could result severe sickness, and it could be life threatening and brain damage. Though this is rare.

My advice is, when u are there, move slowly, especially climbing up the stairs. Drink lots of water, and dun shower during your first day there.

Though kissing is allowed by the Tibetian government, I am doubt u are fit enough to do a 5min French kiss. And aggressive sex is not recommended.

Deregistered

Er, just a few things to point out :

The route 2 that was mentioned, I believe that is the friendship highway route. There is a common misconception that it is going to be easier, but in fact it might be worse : the vehicle will quickly bring you up to 5000+m high pass, before you even got use to 3000+m level.

The road condition is quite bad, and there have been stories that it took
    them 10 days to do the journey when things don't go smooth instead of 3days.

Both are what I heard and have no personal experience with the stories.
    But I have been to 5000m high pass, and I think it is not to be taken lightly.

Also Lhasa's altitude is 3700m, the airport is 3600m. That is about as high as you can reasonably safety land at without getting used to higher altitude.

With 2 fully day's rest and I move up to 4300m. Leisurely walk 100m without bag and I am panting worse than running 2.4km.

And laugh you might at wong_se recommendation, do take it seriously, it is certainly not a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se
    Though kissing is allowed by the Tibetian government, I am doubt u are fit enough to do a 5min French kiss. And aggressive sex is not recommended.
    Oh damn, it's my honeymoon trip!

Deregistered

Cool

Oh damn, it's my honeymoon trip!
    Oh my, I hope you are joking.

But if not, don't worry, towards the end of the trip you should be in much better shape !!

No, I'm not kidding! Thought the place is so beautiful and special, that's why we chose it. Now I'm starting to worry about it, hope things turn out ok

Deregistered

It is very beautiful and special. But conditions are a bit harsh, esp so if you hang out in the wild. where some of the very spectacular views are.

Anyway, just be mentally prepared that you would need to rough it out a little, take it easy (in every way *grin*), be prepared for the cold,
    and you should be fine.

Do some read up on high altitude sickness, and prepare some medicine
    for it (and for diarrea). You don't need a ton of medicine for everything though.

You really don't want to carry more than you need, it is not about stength, that won't be the problem. The problem is exertion, which often aggravate the high altitude sickness.

BTW, if you decide to do some free and easy travel there, note that
    the costly things there is transport, not accommodation, which is cheap.

Stay for a long time won't cost you much, moving around a lot will.
    And somethings some funny delays might pop up, so have a 'open' mind.

Have fun.

Thanks a lot frisky.