Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Formula 1 Singtel Singapore Grand Prix

Default Re: 2008 Formula 1 Singtel Singapore Grand Prix

really disappointed with the uncalled for comments by Luca Di'Montezemelo. instead of blaming the circuit, he should look into the pit-stop fracas.

whatever it is, i'm still a Ferrari fan and always will be. sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. that's all part and parcel of racing.

looking forward to a Ferrari 1-2 for the remaining races.

FORZA FERRARI!!!
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

I am sorry for the OT, but would anyone be able to enlighten me on what the front caps are for on their front wheels? Would it be for reducing drag, better steering, or is it some advertising gimmick/space?
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

when the safety car is out, and the cars are all lined up behind the safety car, i notice that the cars like to zig zag about even though they are travelling down a straight straight road
    why is that?
    Regards, Mark Pang
    www.markpangphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by haagen_dazs View Post
    when the safety car is out, and the cars are all lined up behind the safety car, i notice that the cars like to zig zag about even though they are travelling down a straight straight road
    why is that?
    i think that's to keep the tyres warm?

Brilliant race.. even as a non-F1-fan moaning about how he had to be at work (weekend kanna burn for F1 duty) I enjoyed it

And so bright that even my relatively slow 100-400 lens would have done the job

i kind of want to know
    WHY would Messa drive ALL the way to the end of the pit before stopping
    1) I am sure he can see the huge 20feet long gas line hanging from his side via his side view mirrors and
    2) his team would have radioed him that he should stop

Alot of time was lost when the crew had to run all the way down to him .. a good 15 - 20 seconds

another question about strategy
    why did they get two F1 cars to pit at the same time? I thought that was a really bad strategy . Its slowing the 2nd car down.

it might have been too late by the time he saw the hose. he might have already gone past the next team so he had to proceed to the end of the pit lane so that he doesnt impede the other teams which would probably incur an even heavier penalty.

this is not the first time a car has run off with a hose attached. it has happened to teams who had lollipop men as well but at least with a lollipop man such incidents would be minimal. ferrari really should bring back the lollipop man

anyway...next 3 races will be a

FERRARI ONE-TWO WIN!!!!

bloody optimistic bunch we are

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    it might have been too late by the time he saw the hose. he might have already gone past the next team so he had to proceed to the end of the pit lane so that he doesnt impede the other teams which would probably incur an even heavier penalty.

this is not the first time a car has run off with a hose attached. it has happened to teams who had lollipop men as well but at least with a lollipop man such incidents would be minimal. ferrari really should bring back the lollipop man

anyway...next 3 races will be a

FERRARI ONE-TWO WIN!!!!

bloody optimistic bunch we are
    They are using the lollipop man for the last 3 races.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenscapes View Post
    i think that's to keep the tyres warm?
    Yup...keep the temperature on the wheel up so that the rubber compound remains sticky to the track. When car os stationary for too long that is why you see them place a "jacket" over the tires ....it is actually line with heating wires that keeps the tire at a warm temperature for maximum sticky traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji77 View Post
    I am sorry for the OT, but would anyone be able to enlighten me on what the front caps are for on their front wheels? Would it be for reducing drag, better steering, or is it some advertising gimmick/space?
    It is all about aerodynamics...how to smoothen the air flow over the top of the car, sides of the car, over the wheels's rotation axis and sides, directing them into the two side air intake radiator and also how air is directed to travel under the car. All the cap and fins you see help to get the car moving through air as smooth as possible and with as little drag created and to get a good down force on the car to the track.

That is why they say...at the speed this racing cars can get up to, the down force exerted o the car is so great that it can drive upside down and not fall off. That is how much downward force is exerted on the car by those fins, wings..etc.

A F1 car's air flown concept is the same as an airplane wing BUT UP SIDE DOWN. With planes the wings lifts the plane..with the car, it keeps it down so that contact between tires and road is always at maximum traction. Hope that is the answer you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    really disappointed with the uncalled for comments by Luca Di'Montezemelo. instead of blaming the circuit, he should look into the pit-stop fracas.

whatever it is, i'm still a Ferrari fan and always will be. sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. that's all part and parcel of racing.

looking forward to a Ferrari 1-2 for the remaining races.

FORZA FERRARI!!!
    hehehe There are Ferrari Fans and there are Ferrari Fans... If you really are a Ferrari fan and specially an Italian Ferrari Fan...then you will understand where he is coming from. His outburst is not for your sake .....outside the greater Italy. It is for his own countrymen he is expressing this and for the fact he is an Italian and Number One Honcho of Ferrari corporation. The fans expects nothing less from jhis remark.

The Italian Ferrari fan is nothing if not VERY PASSIONATE and well...bias. An Italian not Passionate is not Italian hehehe... so as outsider, it is crazy their reaction. heh. There is also another saying I recall where they say if you cut off the hands of an Italian, he will have a speech impediment or handicap in communication heheheh...

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    They are using the lollipop man for the last 3 races.
    they better be

It is all about aerodynamics...how to smoothen the air flow over the top of the car, sides of the car, over the wheels's rotation axis and sides, directing them into the two side air intake radiator and also how air is directed to travel under the car.
    Yup, I understand about the downforce required and its relation to an airplane wing.
    But wont the plates in this context cause the opposite of the downforce? I mean,during their cornering (which is fast!) wont air be pushing against the axle/tire?
    Or would this be exactly what they want? To generate force on the tires?

Any engineers have any comments on this whole concept/theory?
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

hehehe There are Ferrari Fans and there are Ferrari Fans... If you really are a Ferrari fan and specially an Italian Ferrari Fan...then you will understand where he is coming from. His outburst is not for your sake .....outside the greater Italy. It is for his own countrymen he is expressing this and for the fact he is an Italian and Number One Honcho of Ferrari corporation. The fans expects nothing less from jhis remark.

The Italian Ferrari fan is nothing if not VERY PASSIONATE and well...bias. An Italian not Passionate is not Italian hehehe... so as outsider, it is crazy their reaction. heh. There is also another saying I recall where they say if you cut off the hands of an Italian, he will have a speech impediment or handicap in communication heheheh...
    Actually, that is a good perspective and understanding of where he comes from. I would say that the majority of passionate Singaporeans would jump to defend our track as well. But since he is the only person making this comment and has a domestic audience to please, we can be gracious hosts too and laugh off his comment. Everybody else took it like a man..

I am not offended either. Our track is tough? Sure.. let them earn their $$ to race. Ooooooei.. they all should know hor, LTA specially go dig the road for you leh!! Welcome to Singapore, we every month must at least dig the road once!!

Quote Originally Posted by seankyh View Post
    Great caption

Frankly, it really started only getting amusing after they ran off with the 'snake' in tow.

Yup...keep the temperature on the wheel up so that the rubber compound remains sticky to the track. When car os stationary for too long that is why you see them place a "jacket" over the tires ....it is actually line with heating wires that keeps the tire at a warm temperature for maximum sticky traction.
    however the cars have already been driving around for many laps
    when the safety car is out and the cars congregate in a line, they still zig zag to wear their tyres and generate heat ??!?

how slow (or fast) does the safety car drive at to maintain minimum speed that is safe and yet enough to keep the cars running at optimal conditions?
    Regards, Mark Pang
    www.markpangphotography.com

when the safety car is out and the cars congregate in a line, they still zig zag to wear their tyres and generate heat ??!?

how slow (or fast) does the safety car drive at to maintain minimum speed that is safe and yet enough to keep the cars running at optimal conditions?
    Bro, these are high performance stuff. Temperature is critical for it to work at peak performance. F1 tyres have a peak performance at about 80-90 deg C if i'm not wrong and to keep the tyres at these temp, the cars need to be running as fast as possible. Once they slow down behind the safety car, the tyre temp drop and the cars will lose grip, esp impt after the restart. No one wants to be left in the dust.

Safety cars run at its max performance it can on the circuit. Anywhere from 180-200+++ km/h. At such speeds, its like a jog for the F1 cars.

The front caps are to reduce drag I guess. Think Alex Yooung said it before.

Very slow....."just"160km/h if I recall correctly. heheheh..

Additional: Actually there is no indication as to what is the speed the safety car will have to be traveling or maintained at BUT...the choosen car designated a safety car will travel to it's best possible speed for a street legal sports car.

Mercedes Benz has that honor for a long time now. Since street legal sportscar can never reach speeds as fast as the F1 racers ( even after it is stripped down of all unnecessary weight)...it is safe to say it is traveling at at speed that is fast enough to ensure the racer's engine don't suffer from overheat and also keep the tires at optimum temperature.
    Last edited by sammy888; 2nd October 2008 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sloth View Post
    Actually, that is a good perspective and understanding of where he comes from. I would say that the majority of passionate Singaporeans would jump to defend our track as well. But since he is the only person making this comment and has a domestic audience to please, we can be gracious hosts too and laugh off his comment. Everybody else took it like a man..

I am not offended either. Our track is tough? Sure.. let them earn their $$ to race. Ooooooei.. they all should know hor, LTA specially go dig the road for you leh!! Welcome to Singapore, we every month must at least dig the road once!!
    Yeah I agree. Ferrari is an influential racer in F1 but ultimately, the guy that must be pleased it Bernie and the rest. 1 boss not happy can consider very good already when there are so many F1 stakeholders. Somemore he is unhappy because his team score no pts.

Yeah according to Hamster, SGGP is twice as tough as Monoco. He said 1 lap at SGGP can do 2 at Monoco.
    Last edited by afbug; 2nd October 2008 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sloth View Post
    Great caption

Frankly, it really started only getting amusing after they ran off with the 'snake' in tow.
    hehe..sh-it happens sometimes

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 ... LastLast