Thread: How to create GND effect using Photoshop?

Default How to create GND effect using Photoshop?

Hi

If I take a landscape shot which has the sky included without any GND filter attached, is it possible to use Photoshop to do PP to achieve a GND effect? Must we take the picture in RAW format? Hope to learn the technique if anyone knows how to do it.

Default Re: How to create GND effect using Photoshop?

photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Thanks for the article.

However I am very weak in Photoshop software. Perhaps a step-by-step tutorial would be more useful to a noob like me.

very easy.

1. duplicate the layer
    2. use gradient tool on the duplicated layer
    3. set blending mode of the duplicated layer to overlay

Does this affect the picture quality? Would doing PP on RAW files instead of JPEG files make any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Genie In A Lightbox View Post
    Does this affect the picture quality? Would doing PP on RAW files instead of JPEG files make any difference?
    If it is just purely applying a gradient to simulate that of a GND it should not make too much difference. ( Providing all else equal and you are not intending to do other stuffs like changing white balance )

However if you are intending to salvage more details lost from a highlight over the part that you are intending to have the GND effect, a RAW might help pull abit more details.

Ryan

I enquired at MS Color about Cokin P series GND filters but was told they no longer sell them. I used to own Cokin P series filters and filter holder during my film days. Recently when I am trying to try pano, I realized I needed GND filter to get details in the sky - 2 stops at least. I was quite disappointed they don't sell the filters anymore.

That's why I thought of using PS to simulate the effect of GND. Of course, if possible I would want to get the effect I want straight out of the camera rather than do PP.

I enquired at MS Color about Cokin P series GND filters but was told they no longer sell them. I used to own Cokin P series filters and filter holder during my film days. Recently when I am trying to try pano, I realized I needed GND filter to get details in the sky - 2 stops at least. I was quite disappointed they don't sell the filters anymore.

That's why I thought of using PS to simulate the effect of GND. Of course, if possible I would want to get the effect I want straight out of the camera rather than do PP.
    Not sure of orient photo still sells them, but you probably can find people doing mass order here on clubsnap.

For pano you can try to fix it with a Cokin holder for more accurate placement especially the hard stop ones for easier stitching.

All the best!

Ryan

You can also try to look for similar alternatives like the Tianya holder.

I still have the Cokin P-series holder. Just need the attachment ring to suit the diameter of my lens - they are hard to find. I shall scout for a few places.

Ryan - I saw on your website that you use Singh-Ray filters. Are they good? Are they expensive?

using a gnd > photoshopping

why? when highlights are blown, details are lost.. and these details, you photoshop 8000 years also cannot get back

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    using a gnd > photoshopping

why? when highlights are blown, details are lost.. and these details, you photoshop 8000 years also cannot get back
    Good reminder. I am sure lots of people are aware of this.

Having brought up this point, there have been few instances where darkening is applied to skies post processing when highlights are lost as an attempt to mask the flaw. Because of the overwhelming unnatural darkening, Some might want it to be seen as different and "arty" to the point where the idea of preserving details seem no longer the aim of making the shot.

Ryan

maybe can try this

take the photo with different exposures, eg 1 stop under and 1 stop higher.. after that, stack the photos you got in photoshop.. use mask tool (is that correct? im not sure about the name, its located in the layers box) and play with the opacity.. hope this help..

Interesting ideas! Thanks guys!

Can take a picture of the skys properly exposed and then another with the ground properly exposed and then layer them in PS also can right?

But as mentioned, nothing beats getting the effect we want straight out of the camera if possible.

I still have the Cokin P-series holder. Just need the attachment ring to suit the diameter of my lens - they are hard to find. I shall scout for a few places.
    Orient Photo, Sim Lim, 6th floor. They have lots of step-up rings.
    Regarding GND from MS Color: Florence told me that they don't keep stock on them any more but it's possible to order.

Ryan - I saw on your website that you use Singh-Ray filters. Are they good? Are they expensive?
    Here is their website, you can check out their products. Can only make order from online. Very color neutral, tried stacking their VariND against another GND and colors still looks good.

Can take a picture of the skys properly exposed and then another with the ground properly exposed and then layer them in PS also can right?
    But as mentioned, nothing beats getting the effect we want straight out of the camera if possible.
    There is a limit to the dynamic range of film / digital sensor to match the human eyes, and hence a role for exposure blending/hdr and a role for GND where applicable. The only issue is when overzealous hdr makes the picture so unreal, that sometimes the original shot from the camera is more believable.

Ryan

Taking bracketed multiple exposures and HDR-ing the images would help.

Since I guess we are talking about preserving details.

I feel thats the only way to achieve the GND effect

I believe that the tianya filters will fit on the Cokin P-series holder.

It depends on how discerning you are on the quality of your photos, the fact that they are very much cheaper than the Singh-Ray filters will mean some (maybe unnoticeable?) tradeoff in the image and colour quality.