View Poll Results: should photographers be standing on steps / ladders?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 20.38%
  • No

135 51.92%
  • doesn't bother

72 27.69%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast

Thread: Should photographers bring steps / ladders to events?

Default Re: Should photographers bring steps / ladders to events?

err.. I'm not too familiar with those terms.. sounds like a breed of canine.. is it a species of dog?

hmm.. so where is your weekend event? If same event muz go earlier and find a place to stand in front.. hehe..

Quote Originally Posted by cryder View Post
    i would presumed that you know what is a greyhound. in this case/analogy, it's refer to someone(dunno name) that chased after models for photos.

i'm almost always the good one! though this weekend one event i might not be, hehehe....

Sometimes going earlier n get a place to stand in front also got complain even if not on ladder cuz u're taller than them ...

That aside, I got complains from photographers behind (on ladder) when I'm standing on the ground (in front) ...
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post

...That aside, I got complains from photographers behind (on ladder) when I'm standing on the ground (in front) ...
    Totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post
    Sometimes going earlier n get a place to stand in front also got complain even if not on ladder cuz u're taller than them ...

That aside, I got complains from photographers behind (on ladder) when I'm standing on the ground (in front) ...
    of cos la. u so tall! but then they cant complained oso; next time they come even earlier lor.

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    err.. I'm not too familiar with those terms.. sounds like a breed of canine.. is it a species of dog?

hmm.. so where is your weekend event? If same event muz go earlier and find a place to stand in front.. hehe..
    how early u go? got at least 3hrs in advance boh? if no, then wait bah... still hv to "fight" placing with the fans.
    Nothing2C
    Nikon [D300, MB-D10, D80, Trinity, 85/1.4, 50/1.4, 18-200, SB-800]

for those thinking of getting ladders, fairprice xtra is selling for $21.90 now... those 2 step ones...
    "camcount" freeze, till Dec 2011

I cant imagine during Marina Bay countdown someone will setup ladder in mid of the crowd to get better anlge and no obstruction...COPS will go mad and make him mad too
    flickr|Nikon D7000|Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 OS|Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

If you're not hired, don't. Have a thought for the audience.

went to some recent events and seems like there are more joining the ladder gang...

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Any comments on this..?

Recent event.

On the ladder, is it necessary to stand at the first, 2nd row..?

However, got to note that there are PG who more considerate and are stationed further back
    Ok, I see this uncle again in the pic who elbowed me right in my face and my camera and didn't apologize at all when I was at a recent event.
    Last edited by kkvolution; 29th June 2010 at 12:34 AM.

ladder gang strikes again at Square 2, 王力宏 Autograph Session. very inconsiderate of them.
    eat. drink. shoot

If its a paid shoot, no blaming the photographer, his livelihood depends on it afterall

If those camera holders (who are not official photographers) are standing behind the lines and constantly blocking the view of the spectators, then they're no more than a pest and annoyance...and for what? Get recognized for those 'stunning shots'?

Quote Originally Posted by cryder View Post
    oyay! small fly meet BIG FLY(whoever they are). fashion show shooters can form the great wall(ladder) of pg/sg; moi seldom shoot these, more on celebrities where hv to deal with raising hands taking photos, banners etc.

ya, dunno why. maybe dun want to shoot nostril hair(if any). there was 1 celebrity event that i reached so early that no one has arrived yet and so by right occupied the best possible front location but the stage was so near that in the end i stand at the last barricade and letting others to occupy my location.

yup. recently i was late for an event, so was standing quite far behind. when it's about to start, saw someone directly in front of me on a ladder but it was a bit too late to relocate. i cant complain anything since i still 'shamingly' noe the phrase 己所不欲,勿施于人. but then i wont tolerate someone later than me and then squeezing in in front of me.

moi strive to be an "ethical ladder-er" by
    1) on 1st step instead of 2nd step of ladder(not sure will help)
    2) step down from ladder for a while(if got space to come down)
    3) helping my surrounding ppl to take photo
    4) letting my surrounding ppl used my ladder for a while
    5) if standing ard the middle of the crowds, and if the crowd thinned, maintained at current position, provided hv a good view.
    I would think this phenomenon is similar trying to get a cab on the roadside... people just drop in from nowhere and steal the cab that you flagged down, or else purposefully walk ahead of your position so they get the cab instead. Courtesy and ethical behaviour unfortunately only prevail if everyone (or at least the majority of people in any given group) agree to the same standards. That's why Singapore isn't Switzerland, where litterbugs are despised by society.

Since these kinds of principles are not in force in Singapore, I guess every photographer has to deal with the situation on the ground or else avoid such events completely, which is what I do. Even with ladders, there are seldom people as gracious as our Mr. Cryder... it would of course be much easier to shoot at an event filled with even a hundred clones of him... but that'll be the day

I also wonder why the so-called "official photographers" are outside the barriers instead of within... doesn't make much sense right? Either the event organisers are stupid or the shooters have little sense of self-dignity when taking up such assignments..

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    ladder gang strikes again at Square 2, 王力宏 Autograph Session. very inconsiderate of them.
    Photographers? Calling them photographers just gives other photographers a bad name. I'll not lump them in with other responsible photographers, these are just some GWC who have no life and nothing better to do than to piss others off for their own selfish reasons
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Has somebody mentioned that if every photography brings steps / ladders, wouldn't it be the same result?

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    Has somebody mentioned that if every photography brings steps / ladders, wouldn't it be the same result?
    What about those who are not photographers but just want to watch the show?
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    erm... always see them there... think most of the ladder gang didn't come this time round...

but maybe not too good to show their faces here?

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    If those camera holders (who are not official photographers) are standing behind the lines and constantly blocking the view of the spectators, then they're no more than a pest and annoyance...and for what? Get recognized for those 'stunning shots'?
    A while ago a CSer coined a term.. guess he passionately called it "lonelytime material".....

ps: coining the term has nothing to do with being part of the action.. in case there's any misunderstanding..

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    What about those who are not photographers but just want to watch the show?
    exactly. soon you'll realise the fans and photographers are building their own 'stadium'

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    Then they will just bring taller ladders
    I wonder if anyone tried like, kicking their ladder. Okay, I didn't suggest that. Nope, you didn't hear anything like that from me

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast