View Poll Results: should photographers be standing on steps / ladders?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 20.38%
  • No

135 51.92%
  • doesn't bother

72 27.69%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 256789 LastLast

Thread: Should photographers bring steps / ladders to events?

Default Re: Should photographers bring steps / ladders to events?

can the Mods kindly close this thread till the next toon creates YET ANOTHER ladder thread for anti ladder fans to whine in?

Thanks~!

A ladder is a tool.. it can do no wrong. A tool in the hands of some who is knows how to do the work helps produces quality in hands that are clueless creates a mess. Where to place is ladder is not an any how can thing. Been using a ladder since the first Singapore Fashion week, never subscribed to the stand right in front use a 50mm and whack idealogy. Suggest using common sense and common manner in using them. However some places the security are quite firm about how you can use your ladder.

As long as it does not endanger public safety or cause a nusance, I'm fine with that, even though I personally won't bother bringing along one because of the hassle.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Actually, If the PG on a ladder is standing mid-distance.. well, it's not too bad. At least there is standing space in front, and there is a fair number of pple in front of the ladders.

The disgusting thing is PGs on ladders right at the very first row! It totally deprived other PGs and public the chance to watch the event from the front view. Maybe got chance we can put up some of these pictures, then even those who use ladders can judge whether it is really necessary for these PGs to stand right at the very first row, when using a ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by cryder View Post

from what moi noticed, most have already got some sort of tele-zoom, so it's not an issue here; moi have a cheap tele too. if moi ever have either the 200-400, 500 or 600, i might consider shooting from far behind, but then doesnt mean i want to.
    Last edited by Limsgp; 2nd July 2009 at 01:09 PM.

If you are behind the crowd, or you are too short to see the event stage it is ok for anyone to be on a ladder, if he/she is not blocking anyone behind them.

But if you are already in the front or are of enough height to take shots, then why they hell are you on a ladder?? Do you want to get an even better arial view of the performance or what.

But still if your skin is so thick and don't care for other, may god deal with your attitude.

vince123123
    Guests

No issue; whichever reason you gave, the end result does not change. Better to throw laws and facts, than to throw fluff, conjecture and useless assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    Not really. Just don't feel like wasting my time arguing with you. Wait you throw me lots of law and stuff, might cause me headaches.

Lets be more considerate perhaps? I suspect someone here has a phobia of ladders.

Infact there are people with phobias of peaches, cotton, pickles and other assortment of everyday objects!

Phobia of balloons too

vince123123
    Guests

Finally, someone who shares the same view as I do Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by ellery View Post
    A ladder is a tool.. it can do no wrong. A tool in the hands of some who is knows how to do the work helps produces quality in hands that are clueless creates a mess. Where to place is ladder is not an any how can thing. Been using a ladder since the first Singapore Fashion week, never subscribed to the stand right in front use a 50mm and whack idealogy. Suggest using common sense and common manner in using them. However some places the security are quite firm about how you can use your ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by syc77 View Post
    can the Mods kindly close this thread till the next toon creates YET ANOTHER ladder thread for anti ladder fans to whine in?

Thanks~!
    I think its fair game if both sides come in and bring across their views in a civil manner, being anti-ladder is not neccessary whining.

For me, there are considerate ladder users and inconsiderate ones. It is just that it is more likely that we speak about the latter rather than the former.

Considerate, in my view is
    1) not to stand on the ladder for the whole event
    2) not to come late and squeeze into the crowd and setup your ladder in the middle.
    3) not to have the mentality that "I take the trouble to buy and bring the ladder why shouldn't I use it anyway I like", resulting in cases 1) and 2)

Ladder users or not, there are so many other cases of inconsideration from photographers. In the end, its all about civic mindedness.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    I think its fair game if both sides come in and bring across their views in a civil manner, being anti-ladder is not neccessary whining.

For me, there are considerate ladder users and inconsiderate ones. It is just that it is more likely that we speak about the latter rather than the former.

Ladder users or not, there are so many other cases of inconsideration from photographers. In the end, its all about civic mindedness.
    Agree with the viewpoint above. I am kinda neutral about this issue, since some time in the long-gone past I also did try using ladder to shoot at events (not any more though), and it does help one take better shots above those pesky hands raising handphones, fan banners, and the like. It is just unfortunate that majority of ladder users do not exercise civic-mindedness in public arena and do not give a thought to those whom they may end up blocking. This applies to those who indiscrimnately set up ladders wherever they like, even at the inconvenience of others. Even if you come early, and at the front row, doesn't mean you "suka suka" set up ladder there also.

Actually at almost any events especially where celebrity or pop star appearance is concerned, any form of politeness and civic-mindedness gets thrown out the window - and the ugly side of photographers shows up.
    Last edited by Garion; 6th July 2009 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    The disgusting thing is PGs on ladders right at the very first row! It totally deprived other PGs and public the chance to watch the event from the front view.
    I, too will frowned on this behaviour. Unless the stage is so high and above my head.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Considerate, in my view is
    1) not to stand on the ladder for the whole event depending on event
    2) not to come late and squeeze into the crowd and setup your ladder in the middle. definitely agree! if one is late, just stand behind and inch forward when the crowds thinned.
    3) not to have the mentality that "I take the trouble to buy and bring the ladder why shouldn't I use it anyway I like", resulting in cases 1) and 2) partially or totally disagree
    Nothing2C
    Nikon [D300, MB-D10, D80, Trinity, 85/1.4, 50/1.4, 18-200, SB-800]

Any comments on this..?

Recent event.

On the ladder, is it necessary to stand at the first, 2nd row..?

However, got to note that there are PG who more considerate and are stationed further back
    Last edited by Limsgp; 12th July 2009 at 03:13 PM.

Any comments on this..?

Recent event.

On the ladder, is it necessary to stand at the first, 2nd row..?

However, got to note that there are PG who more considerate and are stationed further back
    always the case and its the same faces most of the time...
    "camcount" freeze, till Dec 2011

wow... like that also can recognise.. muz be very famous..

So.. during breaks, shooters can have 1 more thing to shoot at while the stars are resting.. easy target somemore..

Quote Originally Posted by harper View Post

yup so many familiar faces...esp. the "greyhound"

lucky me not inside... and i neber brought ladder that day.
    Nothing2C

Haha.. how about throwing some papers at them..

hmm.. then you muz be 1 of the good ones.. even with ladder, by just standing 2m back (which wouldn't make much difference to the picture with a telezoom), no one will be blocked, and everyone will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by cryder View Post
    yup so many familiar faces...esp. the "greyhound"
    greyhound?

lucky me not inside... and i neber brought ladder that day.
    Last edited by Limsgp; 14th July 2009 at 12:36 PM.

Actually standing on the ladder is very dangerous. In the heat of sexcitment, the photographer may misplace his footing or suddenly feel dizzy due to the sudden gush of blood to the organ, and feel down and smash his equipments and nuts. Therefore the organiser should bar such acts.

Just curious of views if photographers should be standing on steps / ladders?

As was at various events and saw some of the photographers standing at the front middle infront of the stage and in the process blocking the view of people attending the event behind.

hmm.. then you muz be 1 of the good ones.. even with ladder, by just standing 2m back (which wouldn't make much difference to the picture with a telezoom), no one will be blocked, and everyone will be happy.

greyhound?
    i would presumed that you know what is a greyhound. in this case/analogy, it's refer to someone(dunno name) that chased after models for photos.

i'm almost always the good one! though this weekend one event i might not be, hehehe....
    Nothing2C

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 256789 LastLast