View Poll Results: should photographers be standing on steps / ladders?

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 20.38%
  • No

135 51.92%
  • doesn't bother

72 27.69%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Should photographers bring steps / ladders to events?

Default Re: Should photographers bring steps / ladders to events?

Quote Originally Posted by yumyum View Post
    would u be that blind or being a ku ku to come near me to be tripped over ???

watch ur words, i warn !!!

i dun think u ever shoot such an event before ... or u like to shoot with heads
    and hands holding their hp cameras and pns in ur photos ??
    So the public should keep a 2m radius from you when we see you on a ladder. At a public place? They are children running about too.

I tried shooting for 1 or 2 events like this.

Did I got shots with people heads in it? Yes

Did i lose sleep over it? No

Am I the official photographer? No
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I don't know about you but I think you live in a world where everyone around you is a klutz, and every photographer you know is hum sup. Your statements are all so far fetched they could reach Antarctica.
    I don't know about you as well. Maybe you live in a world where everyone is pure as lotus. Did i mention every photographer? I only mentioned those on ladder in a public place who might had ill intention.

In my Antarctica world, we don't have photographer on ladder blocking people in a public place.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    On a side note, by standing so tall on the ladder, ladies beside you must beware.
    such an insinuating remarks!

If the public want to go forward, passing you, they might trip.

If public in front of you decided to not see the performance anymore. They might trip while walking pass you.
    on the contrary, those on ladder are the one more easily fall over. saw a few incidents and encountered twice personally.
    Last edited by cryder; 1st July 2009 at 02:30 PM.
    Nothing2C
    Nikon [D300, MB-D10, D80, Trinity, 85/1.4, 50/1.4, 18-200, SB-800]

Quote Originally Posted by cryder View Post
    such an insinuating remarks!

on the contrary, those on ladder are the one more easily fall over. saw a few incidents and encountered twice personally.

Exactly. If you fall because you choose to climb high, then you pay for your action.

and the public around kena 池鱼之殃?

Last edited by Limsgp; 1st July 2009 at 03:28 PM.

Am I the official photographer? No
    Oh. Now we know what kind of experience you are speaking from.

I don't know about you as well. Maybe you live in a world where everyone is pure as lotus. Did i mention every photographer? I only mentioned those on ladder in a public place who might had ill intention.

In my Antarctica world, we don't have photographer on ladder blocking people in a public place.
    Well you better seal yourself in a bubble then. People bring ladders to events to get stage shots and get the leverage in order to do so without having compositional interference coming from other people being in the frame. And they are usually the paid photographer.

I don't know how you thought up the situation whereby people bring ladders to public places to shoot insinuating images. Perhaps it is out of your mind that the hand typeth.

Oh. Now we know what kind of experience you are speaking from.

Well you better seal yourself in a bubble then. People bring ladders to events to get stage shots and get the leverage in order to do so without having compositional interference coming from other people being in the frame. And they are usually the paid photographer.

I don't know how you thought up the situation whereby people bring ladders to public places to shoot insinuating images. Perhaps it is out of your mind that the hand typeth.
    I know why people are bringing ladder to event. Eye level shot and avoiding shooting people's head or hand etc.

If you are talking about the official photographer, then it is different.

As the paid photographer, you are paid to do the job. As the paid photographer, you are not considered the public and you should ask your employer (the organiser of the event) to setup an area just for you and your ladder. It is for your safety and the public.

Are you even following the discussion?

Xiao_shin;5225816]So the public should keep a 2m radius from you when we see you on a ladder. At a public place? They are children running about too.
    -children running ???? i dun think i ever see children can inside the crowd , wonder wat types of events are u shooting ...

- heads shots without ladder
    - NO heads shots with ladder ( that's wats my ladder come in handy .... )

- why should i lose my sleep if i can't get the photos
    because I'm not the
    official photographer?

IF ever u see a official PG on ladder , pls tell him to change a job. cos he should be able to more freely to shoot around and not be like us, have to come in early 1 or 2 hours before the show starts.............

Xiao_shin;5225816]So the public should keep a 2m radius from you when we see you on a ladder. At a public place? They are children running about too.
    -children running ???? i dun think i ever see children can inside the crowd , wonder wat types of events are u shooting ...

- heads shots without ladder
    - NO heads shots with ladder ( that's wats my ladder come in handy .... )

- why should i lose my sleep if i can't get the photos
    because I'm not the
    official photographer?

IF ever u see a official PG on ladder , pls tell him to change a job. cos he should be able to more freely to shoot around and not be like us, have to come in early 1 or 2 hours before the show starts.............
    Maybe I shot mickey mouse and friends event more.

Again... If you are the official photograher, please advise the organiser to setup an area for you and your ladder.

So, you are indeed one of the ladder using photographer. Are you the official one?
    Last edited by Xiao_shin; 1st July 2009 at 05:45 PM.

Personally, I quite dislike the ladder party as they tend to block alot of ppl. To me, I go event I would just try my best to take photo in any best possible position if really no have then LPPL.

Offical PG have the freedom to move around in the front area unblocked, their pictures have to be good cos the organisers paid for them. but public PG, we dont owe anyone our pictures but ourself and going to the extend of using a ladder to get unobstructed picture, in my own opinion is a little insensitive to the other member of the public.

even if i do get a front row during shoot, I do note other PG beside or behind me and try to stay low and allow others to shoot around or over me. and also try to keep my chicken wing in check when shooting portriat as I know how irriating it is when as a PG getting block by chicken wing.

but we each have our own opinions and own expectation of our own pictures. I would say I hate ladder party who are in the middle or front of the crowd, but I dont hate the PG in person using the ladder, its his choice to use it. I am only a public PG just LPPL and make the best of my position lor. I would really hate more that ladder party is PG that is totally inconsiderate and make it like the subject they are taking (not paid models but model in event) should pose for them just becos he want to shot them, squeeze among other PG just to be infront and directly block or hinder the PGs that are already in the area.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

1 question...
    what happens if he's a local PG who gets paid by a oversea mag based of the amt of useable shots he can get...

i guess most ppl dont know anything about this kind of assignments...

Quote Originally Posted by nixontkl View Post
    Personally, I quite dislike the ladder party as they tend to block alot of ppl. To me, I go event I would just try my best to take photo in any best possible position if really no have then LPPL.

Offical PG have the freedom to move around in the front area unblocked, their pictures have to be good cos the organisers paid for them. but public PG, we dont owe anyone our pictures but ourself and going to the extend of using a ladder to get unobstructed picture, in my own opinion is a little insensitive to the other member of the public.

even if i do get a front row during shoot, I do note other PG beside or behind me and try to stay low and allow others to shoot around or over me. and also try to keep my chicken wing in check when shooting portriat as I know how irriating it is when as a PG getting block by chicken wing.

but we each have our own opinions and own expectation of our own pictures. I would say I hate ladder party who are in the middle or front of the crowd, but I dont hate the PG in person using the ladder, its his choice to use it. I am only a public PG just LPPL and make the best of my position lor. I would really hate more that ladder party is PG that is totally inconsiderate and make it like the subject they are taking (not paid models but model in event) should pose for them just becos he want to shot them, squeeze among other PG just to be infront and directly block or hinder the PGs that are already in the area.
    Sums up the whole issue pretty well.

It's all about expectations, and frankly, most of the time, the consideration for others has gone down the drain when all we have is a me-first syndrome all around the place.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    Sums up the whole issue pretty well.

It's all about expectations, and frankly, most of the time, the consideration for others has gone down the drain when all we have is a me-first syndrome all around the place.
    yah...

me-first syndrome...

it gets rather scary if things move this way...
    "camcount" freeze, till Dec 2011

I guess the event organiser should put down a "No Ladder Zone" (Not outright banning) if they're expecting many PGs. Some events is bound to attract Picture taking(and ladders?).

The ladder gang should also invest in a reasonable tele-zoom(or prime) if they wanna shoot on a ladder at events so as to minimize inconvenience to other members of the public/photographic community.

At the end of the day.. Whatever reasons the PG might have that they use to justify to themselves the hassle of bring/setting up the ladder, it will never be enough to convince the public behind by a long stretch(literally too), why their views should be blocked by the figure on a ladder.

So, to the ladder gang, please be considerate and not hog the airspace above reasonable human height, in the front area, if there is any public that maybe blocked behind.

vince123123
    Guests

Lolz, thanks for conceding

Whatever.

vince123123
    Guests

Hehe I give you three thumbs up

I don't know about you but I think you live in a world where everyone around you is a klutz, and every photographer you know is hum sup. Your statements are all so far fetched they could reach Antarctica.

Exactly. If you fall because you choose to climb high, then you pay for your action.
    anyway, this mostly happened when the front is suddenly void and the behind rush to fill up the gaps or the public too 'gian' in grabbing the freebies thrown to them. almost can witness a stampede live.

Maybe I shot mickey mouse and friends event more.

Again... If you are the official photograher, please advise the organiser to setup an area for you and your ladder.

So, you are indeed one of the ladder using photographer. Are you the official one?
    have u ever seen the public "asking" the official pg to get out of their sight? moi wont "asked" him/her to cos i noe it's their job, at most juz grumbled.

Xiao_shin;5225816]
    i concurred to this statement. for moi, some events as early as 6hrs in advance, 2nd to none other than those ardent fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    The ladder gang should also invest in a reasonable tele-zoom(or prime) if they wanna shoot on a ladder at events so as to minimize inconvenience to other members of the public/photographic community.
    from what moi noticed, most have already got some sort of tele-zoom, so it's not an issue here; moi have a cheap tele too. if moi ever have either the 200-400, 500 or 600, i might consider shooting from far behind, but then doesnt mean i want to.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Hehe I give you three thumbs up

calebk;5225788
    anyone starting a new thread <Are all photographers hum sup?> in the kopitiam section?
    Nothing2C
    Nikon [D300, MB-D10, D80, Trinity, 85/1.4, 50/1.4, 18-200, SB-800]

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Lolz, thanks for conceding
    Not really. Just don't feel like wasting my time arguing with you. Wait you throw me lots of law and stuff, might cause me headaches.

anyway, this mostly happened when the front is suddenly void and the behind rush to fill up the gaps or the public too 'gian' in grabbing the freebies thrown to them. almost can witness a stampede live.
    Nah. Why will anyone be that blind?

anyone starting a new thread <Are all photographers hum sup?> in the kopitiam section?
    No required but no one is stopping you. Most member here are from Singapore not Antarctica.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast