Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photography Rules/Laws in Singapore

Default Re: Photography Rules/Laws in Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    Now that you mentioned it, someone posted in another thread saying they were asked by security at a MRT station to delete their photos. I don't recall seeing any signs at the station stating that though.
    due to terrorists attacks on public ammenities in overseas in the recent years, SMRT and SBS are more caution with ppl taking photos in their stations.

They will assume that u r the scouting the place for an attack. The Yishun MRT Station was a good example.

Thanks for the information everyone. This is exactly the information I was looking for. I'm a bit disappointed to find you can't take photos at MRT stations. I find them quite interesting and wish I could take photos there.

Quote Originally Posted by thrasherlife View Post
    Thanks for the information everyone. This is exactly the information I was looking for. I'm a bit disappointed to find you can't take photos at MRT stations. I find them quite interesting and wish I could take photos there.
    Around 3 years back I took lots of pictures of the MRT stations in Chinatown, Little India and others. It was Sunday morning 8am and nobody stopped me or even gave me strange looks. Not sure if there was any new instruction to the underground staff but I'd say you should give it a try. MRT staff is not police and the stations are not private property.

Interesting. I too recall people posting that they were barred from taking photos in the MRT.

My question is, though, do the security personnel have the right to do that? Afterall, if it is an *official* restriction, why is there absolutely NO warning sign anywhere in the station to say photography is banned? There are warning signs for No food and such, so there shouldn't be an excuse.

IMHO, if you wanna bar people from doing something, at least make it obvious. It seems silly and inefficient to tell people that they aren't allowed to do something after that act has been committed.

my only concern would be if they ask me to "delete" the pictures I would have to throw away a whole roll of MF film which isn't cheap.

How about taking pictures FROM the mrt platform? As in not taking pictures of the mrt itself but the scenery around it.
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

I suppose to delete or not its up to the discretion of the staff/security officer.

Smile Re: Photography Rules/Laws in Singapore

As a general guideline, if you want to take pictures within any buildings (especially private property) in Singapore, we should seek permission first as basic courtesy unless you are in a tourist attraction like Underwater World at Sentosa or Singapore Flyer unless otherwise specified.

When in doubt, trust your gut feeling. Normally if you start to wonder whether you can take pictures or not allowed to, likelihood is that you need to ask for permission. Just approach the staff or security guard and ask politely. It is normal for people to get a bit edgy when we want to take photographs within their compound since they do not know who we are and where we come from.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    big smile and pretend to be a tourist

and you can get away with most things
    TS is not a singaporean, so no need to pretend lar.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Well, they like tourists to shoot photographs of our world class MRT transportation system and tell the world about.

For locals, you should know that SMRT is already a "world class transportation system", as it is said in the newspapers, so it must be the truth. So locals not allowed to photograph ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
    Interesting. I too recall people posting that they were barred from taking photos in the MRT.

My question is, though, do the security personnel have the right to do that? Afterall, if it is an *official* restriction, why is there absolutely NO warning sign anywhere in the station to say photography is banned? There are warning signs for No food and such, so there shouldn't be an excuse.

IMHO, if you wanna bar people from doing something, at least make it obvious. It seems silly and inefficient to tell people that they aren't allowed to do something after that act has been committed.
    [ Flickr ]

Hey, then again, just wondering. Are you allowed to take any pictures of strangers? Like candids. That against the law?

I just recently saw a youtube video caught by a bystander, someone in vivo was assaulted by a guy, and the attacker claims that the photographer was taking pictures of girls.

I mean, if such a situation was true, is it legal? Assuming you're not using a spycam taking pictures of private areas.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    TS is not a singaporean, so no need to pretend lar.
    there is a difference

come here to work and come here to play

loud shirts, camera around neck, being along free map
    ask directions from mrt staff and then ask them to pose for you

see if they will oblige, i am 99% sure they would

walk around looking like a professional photographer and try to do the same...

The bloke objecting to being photographed might attempt to sue under the tort of battery if snaps were taken and flash was involved, objection notwithstanding. Probably would involved lotsa time, money and a fairly creative ambulance chaser too.
    A new toy?! Yippee!!

Singaporean law is very simple. You can do whatever you want, just don't get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    Hey, then again, just wondering. Are you allowed to take any pictures of strangers? Like candids. That against the law?

I just recently saw a youtube video caught by a bystander, someone in vivo was assaulted by a guy, and the attacker claims that the photographer was taking pictures of girls.

I mean, if such a situation was true, is it legal? Assuming you're not using a spycam taking pictures of private areas.
    Got to question the intention of this guy taking pics WITHIN Vivo City and how were the pics taken.

it is never legal to assault someone, but it is not illegal per se to be taking photos in vivo either.
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    In a public location, it's got to be legal, or a lot of CSers are breaking the law. As long as you're not trying to emulate Samuel Ong, you're not breaking the law.

In fact, according to vince123123 in another thread, you don't even need the consent of the subject to use the photos for commercial purpose in Singapore.

(and in anticipation of "who is samuel ong" : http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Sa...Changi-Airport )
    Last edited by lennyl; 24th September 2008 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sircheezeball View Post
    Hey, you're also not allowed to take photos in public transport facilities (mrt, buses, mrt stations, bus interchange etc). I sent an email to SMRT to confirm this.
    Really? I frequently press my dslr against bus windows to snap random stuff in clear view of the Bus captain too!

Generally, not all of these rules are heavily enforced...but i must stress, taking photos in an MRT station are one of those that are

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    In a public location, it's got to be legal, or a lot of CSers are breaking the law. As long as you're not trying to emulate Samuel Ong, you're not breaking the law.

In fact, according to vince123123 in another thread, you don't even need the consent of the subject to use the photos for commercial purpose in Singapore.

(and in anticipation of "who is samuel ong" : http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Sa...Changi-Airport )
    "he pleaded guilty to charges of trespassing."
    so it is not illegal to take photos

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    "he pleaded guilty to charges of trespassing."
    so it is not illegal to take photos
    Interesting observation

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast