Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Mini Studio Set Up Queries

  1. #1

    Default Mini Studio Set Up Queries

    Hey guys, got a query here.. hope its the right place to ask..

    been toying with the idea of converting one of my spare unused bedroom into a small studio.. for potraiture shots.

    equipment wise, such as lighting, backdrop and stands could be obtained easily, however, is there any other factors I should consider for the physical room itself?

    for eg..
    -will the color of the walls/flooring have any effects?
    -windows: facing backdrop? or bacdrop cover the windows?

    any other considerations I should factor in?

    not looking at a professional setup though.. just a basic one..

    thanks in advance..
    You Need Some Madness In Life To Stay Sane
    http://emuted.multiply.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Mini Studio Set Up Queries

    Quote Originally Posted by reaper3075 View Post
    Hey guys, got a query here.. hope its the right place to ask..

    been toying with the idea of converting one of my spare unused bedroom into a small studio.. for potraiture shots.

    equipment wise, such as lighting, backdrop and stands could be obtained easily, however, is there any other factors I should consider for the physical room itself?

    for eg..
    -will the color of the walls/flooring have any effects?
    -windows: facing backdrop? or bacdrop cover the windows?

    any other considerations I should factor in?

    not looking at a professional setup though.. just a basic one..

    thanks in advance..
    Size of the room is a big factor. If you use light stands to hold your backdrop then the backdrop will be around 1 ft away form the back wall. The model will have to be 3 to 5 feet minimum away from the backdrop. If you have a 10-foot long room that leaves you about 4 to 6 feet of working space, which is pretty tight. Just enough for 1 or 2 person half body shots. Full body shots will be challenging, as you probably want to stay away from using wide angle lenses.

    For the background stand consider Manfrotto Autopoles. These can be set up right against the wall and then use 2 pairs of super clamps (Manfrotto also) to hold the cross bar. That will save you 1 foot of space.

    If you have a 15-ft or larger room then that's a different story.

    If you are using strobes the colour of the walls will have negligible effects. Also, if you are using portable backdrop setup then you don't have to worry about the location of the window that much. Just have thick curtains for the window so you can block out external lights when necessary, unless you want to use window light.

    In Singapore, I suppose having air conditioning is a must. When using strobes with the windows covered and having 2 or more people in the room it can get a little too cozy.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  3. #3

    Smile Re: Mini Studio Set Up Queries

    if i were you, i will blacken the walls and ceiling of my studio room.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Mini Studio Set Up Queries

    Quote Originally Posted by roygoh View Post
    Size of the room is a big factor. If you use light stands to hold your backdrop then the backdrop will be around 1 ft away form the back wall. The model will have to be 3 to 5 feet minimum away from the backdrop. If you have a 10-foot long room that leaves you about 4 to 6 feet of working space, which is pretty tight. Just enough for 1 or 2 person half body shots. Full body shots will be challenging, as you probably want to stay away from using wide angle lenses.

    For the background stand consider Manfrotto Autopoles. These can be set up right against the wall and then use 2 pairs of super clamps (Manfrotto also) to hold the cross bar. That will save you 1 foot of space.

    If you have a 15-ft or larger room then that's a different story.

    If you are using strobes the colour of the walls will have negligible effects. Also, if you are using portable backdrop setup then you don't have to worry about the location of the window that much. Just have thick curtains for the window so you can block out external lights when necessary, unless you want to use window light.

    In Singapore, I suppose having air conditioning is a must. When using strobes with the windows covered and having 2 or more people in the room it can get a little too cozy.

    thanks for ur valuable pointers.

    size of the room is about 15-16ft long, about 7ft wide. so i guess the space would be fine..

    so i guess its not a neccessity to darken the walls of my room?
    You Need Some Madness In Life To Stay Sane
    http://emuted.multiply.com

  5. #5

    Default Re: Mini Studio Set Up Queries

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    if i were you, i will blacken the walls and ceiling of my studio room.
    care to explain why? coz i get that alot from some people i asked, but they failed to explain why.

    thanks.
    You Need Some Madness In Life To Stay Sane
    http://emuted.multiply.com

  6. #6

    Default Re: Mini Studio Set Up Queries

    Quote Originally Posted by reaper3075 View Post
    care to explain why? coz i get that alot from some people i asked, but they failed to explain why.

    thanks.
    White rooms reflect light.. A room is like a box.. Light reflects all over the place
    Meow!

  7. #7

    Smile Re: Mini Studio Set Up Queries

    yeap. black absorbs light. so, you do without unwanted lights from reflections.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •