Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789
Results 161 to 172 of 172

Thread: Gracious society...

  1. #161

    Default Re: Gracious society...

    Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    not taking a swipe at you... but you do flush after going to the loo, yah?

    I don't see why it's so hard to clear up after one's own mess. you did create that mess after all, unless somebody tripped into your table full of food whilst trying to check a sheila out (yes. it has happened. to me. I was the one checking the sheila out. )
    Not taking a swipe at you, but do you even bother to understand anything other than what happens to pop into your head? Have you actually lived in singapore long enough to have gone to the fast food restaurants when they appeared? Or is cultural relativism all about replicating your own views?

    Unless you've paid 6.95sgd for someone to give you a tray of your own poop, the loo analogy doesn't quite stand, yah?!

  2. #162
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Gracious society...

    gee, wh ydo food trays get so much attention? wad about clothing stores during a sale?

    when store open all the clothes neat & nice, few peps actually bothered folding them back as before after pulling it up for a glance. its oni a matter of time before a heap is made of the clothes when it dumped backed in a haphazard matter...
    have u seen the "light" yet?

  3. #163
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Gracious society...

    Quote Originally Posted by shojibake View Post
    Not taking a swipe at you, but do you even bother to understand anything other than what happens to pop into your head? Have you actually lived in singapore long enough to have gone to the fast food restaurants when they appeared? Or is cultural relativism all about replicating your own views?

    Unless you've paid 6.95sgd for someone to give you a tray of your own poop, the loo analogy doesn't quite stand, yah?!
    hmm. let me see. I've lived in Singapore for the first 23 years of my life. in those 23 years, I've always been clearing my own trays (okay that's a lie. since I can't be holding trays when I'm a toddler. but you get my drift). I don't see an issue there. it's my mess, I clear it up.

    and fyi, I've been a bus boy before. so yes, I do know what it means to be clearing up after people. and yes, I am thankful (and even verbally acknowledge such actions) to customers who clear up after me.

    so... honestly. unless clearing one's mess is the equivalent of having ants festering in your body... I'll still do it. is it that hard to walk, with a tray in hand, to the dustbin to empty it? considering how most dustbins are stationed just before you walk out of the outlet anyway? I wouldn't blame you if to clear the trash, you'd have to charter a bus to Timbuktu, cross 5 mountains and beat the living crap out of skeletal warriors who impede on your path. honestly, I'd be quite put off by the skeletal warriors. but the last I check, things haven't evolved (or de-evolved) to such a scary state of affairs yet, no?
    chicken fight!

  4. #164
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Gracious society...

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    gee, wh ydo food trays get so much attention? wad about clothing stores during a sale?

    when store open all the clothes neat & nice, few peps actually bothered folding them back as before after pulling it up for a glance. its oni a matter of time before a heap is made of the clothes when it dumped backed in a haphazard matter...
    I used to work part time at Guess? a few years back.

    I nearly cried whenever we had to clear the mountain of clothing in the clearance pile, only to see our hard work go up to smoke two seconds later.

    I must admit, at times I will just chuck the clothes to one side. more often than not, I just wouldn't bother going into that pile (seeing how all common sizes will be out. although my addition in bulk might push me past the common size bit. )

    but yes, I do put back clothing onto a hanger if I've taken it out for an inspection. I try to return it to the correct aisle, in fact.


    maybe it's just me, or maybe it's knowing how the person working to clear the mess up will feel, which drives me to not be like the herd, and to help out in my own way. anybody who has worked in customer service/relations would know not to give a fellow customer service rep a hard time (unless it is called for. like you're dealing with a token idiot. or worse).
    chicken fight!

  5. #165
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Gracious society...

    Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    I used to work part time at Guess? a few years back.

    I nearly cried whenever we had to clear the mountain of clothing in the clearance pile, only to see our hard work go up to smoke two seconds later.

    I must admit, at times I will just chuck the clothes to one side. more often than not, I just wouldn't bother going into that pile (seeing how all common sizes will be out. although my addition in bulk might push me past the common size bit. )

    but yes, I do put back clothing onto a hanger if I've taken it out for an inspection. I try to return it to the correct aisle, in fact.

    maybe it's just me, or maybe it's knowing how the person working to clear the mess up will feel, which drives me to not be like the herd, and to help out in my own way. anybody who has worked in customer service/relations would know not to give a fellow customer service rep a hard time (unless it is called for. like you're dealing with a token idiot. or worse).
    life is so unfair isn't it. oni foodcourt staff get all the attention, for other profession- "it's a customer service" attitude.

    some greedy corps take this "gracious society" movement way too far in an attempt to cut costs. who wouldn't like a helping hand? especially those that will help reduce business costs, in good times or bad.

    retail staff do get it real bad during peak season sales. the end of the day the store will look like its been bombed! good to know there are nice peps like u around, just that those ugly 1s stand out like a sore thumb. & insist its their right as customers. these days i would be rather embarrassed if a retail staff went an extra mile during my window shopping outings...
    have u seen the "light" yet?

  6. #166
    Member terryansimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Quahog, Rhode Island
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Gracious society...

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post

    some greedy corps take this "gracious society" movement way too far in an attempt to cut costs. who wouldn't like a helping hand? especially those that will help reduce business costs, in good times or bad.
    precisely! it's just all about being that extra helpful, which doesn't cost much to the person who offers the help. maybe I'm just too used to being in a helpful environment. but since helpfulness is a form of graciousness, I think it's a fair point to be brought up within the context of this thread.
    chicken fight!

  7. #167
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Gracious society...

    Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    precisely! it's just all about being that extra helpful, which doesn't cost much to the person who offers the help. maybe I'm just too used to being in a helpful environment. but since helpfulness is a form of graciousness, I think it's a fair point to be brought up within the context of this thread.
    just dun let those greedy businesses use this reason to hire less staff...

    its a fine line...
    have u seen the "light" yet?

  8. #168

    Default Re: Gracious society...

    Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    precisely. I've had friends who tell me that that is what the staff at Maccas are paid for. I told them that the cops are paid to do their jobs too, so if we see a crime being committed, let's not bother running after them or calling the cops. coz afterall, they are the cops and they will know when crime happens coz they are paid to do their job. that is, solving crime and what not!

    seriously. the words lazy can be masked in so many ways, shape, mean or form. at the end of the day, these people just can't be bothered to clear up after themselves, and expect the trays to magically disappear from their table. either that, or the finger points to the cleaner, a grunting sound along the lines of "eh" is produced by the person's nasal passages, and the finger points back towards the table covered in mess, and that weird grunting sound is produced via the nasal passages again. for fecks sake, even if you do not want to clear the trays on your own, is it that hard to ask POLITELY and not do it like how you'd signal to a dog for attention?
    I dont know where you come from. It is obvious from your text 'for FECKs sake' are common words to use.

    Would you like to elaborate?

  9. #169

    Default Re: Gracious society...

    singapore still far from it..
    Last edited by davidtkl76; 1st February 2009 at 05:16 PM.

  10. #170

    Default Re: Gracious society...

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtkl76 View Post
    singapore still far from it..
    Agreed. We hope to reach our destiny one day!

  11. #171

    Default Re: Gracious society...

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    gee, wh ydo food trays get so much attention? wad about clothing stores during a sale?

    when store open all the clothes neat & nice, few peps actually bothered folding them back as before after pulling it up for a glance. its oni a matter of time before a heap is made of the clothes when it dumped backed in a haphazard matter...
    It made it look like ... flea market sale!

  12. #172

    Default Re: Gracious society...

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    As far as can tell, not in Singapore.

    Over several years in Singapore, I've seen dozens of cases of littering, serious traffic violations, smoking in non-smoking zones, electricity/water theft, serious violations of basic workplace safety/public safety (e.g. unsecured gas cylinders, failure to wear PPE), etc. etc. every single day I got out of the house, almost always openly with impunity. Except for some sparse traffic police activity, I don't remember seeing a single act of enforcement.
    I dont know the percentage of the offenders. 5% of 6 millions(including every mother's child)?

    Any data? say year 2007 or 2008?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •