Thread: how to shoot good event pic?

Default how to shoot good event pic?

like today, i went to elva's autograph session, haiz... i stand very far behind... and i dun like my outcome

i used d80,
    nikon 70-300mm f4.5,
    sb600 Manual 1/1,
    M mode,
    iso 640,
    aperture f5.6

most of my pic like this, i satisfied with the exposure but i always think of this type of outcome is out focus, actually isnt it? or dof not enough or noise is the issue?

the pic look ok with smaller size but noise at 100%, acutally i dun really know how to use flashgun , with flash on (even built in), our shutter will limited at 200, can anyone explain a bit to me about the relation between flashgun and that shutter limit?

http://www.sadhuism.com/pic/fine.JPG

one more thing, i did try to use A mode with auto iso where max sensitivity set at 800 and max shutter at 1/80, then original iso at 100, but i dun find any good points as a lot pp said this is very smart function in d80... i still get underexposore shots...

here you go...
    http://www.sadhuism.com/pic/autoiso1.JPG
    http://www.sadhuism.com/pic/autoiso2.JPG

can anyone let me kow my prob?
    thanks...

Default Re: how to shoot good event pic?

You're shooting wide open on your lens and your lens is more of a budget piece.

I'd suggest that you try stopping it down to f8 and use ISO 400 - 800 with iTTL mode on your flash. Noise is always an issue if you have underexposed shots.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

iTTL and iTTL BL always prob to me also, coz always, yeah, it is, always underexposore, thats y i used to use Manual... even camera's A mode and S mode, always not accurative and cant predict the outcome, thats y i always use M mode...

Are you planning to blow up these event pics to poster size? Or you just gonna store them in your site? If it's the latter, dun worry so much about the noise. You wouldn't see it. Main thing is the exposure and WB. Shoot RAW. Exposure and WB also can be adjusted in Lightroom or other programs. I normally shoot using f5.6, ISO 800, 1/50s for more background ambient lightings.

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    Are you planning to blow up these event pics to poster size? Or you just gonna store them in your site? If it's the latter, dun worry so much about the noise. You wouldn't see it. Main thing is the exposure and WB. Shoot RAW. Exposure and WB also can be adjusted in Lightroom or other programs. I normally shoot using f5.6, ISO 800, 1/50s for more background ambient lightings.
    just for my own.. haha.. keep in my hdd... but i still hate noise... @.@
    Last edited by averynkh; 22nd September 2008 at 01:21 PM.

then remove them using noise removal software?

maybe you can try using noise removal programs
    They'll help

The softness of the photo is probably to a combination of hand shake, lens quality and high ISO noise issues.

Flash is limited by cross-sync speed to 1/200s if the flash head is tilt/turn, so can only use direct flash to achieve high speed synch of faster than 1/200s.

Either a monopod, tripod will help. Higher ISO will help too, but at the expend of increasing noise, nothing beat a better optic and faster lens (e.g. 300mm f/4) but it more costly and heavy, if the lens itself is soft, nothing much you can do to gain much sharpness, although stopping down to f/8 and with strong flash will only help a bit, but you lose the atmosphere ambient lighting.
    Last edited by zcf; 22nd September 2008 at 04:11 PM.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

um.. thanks for the comments guys...