Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a list of contaminated dairy product by AVA

Default Is there a list of contaminated dairy product by AVA

Ever since the news of contaminated dairy product hit the news, AVA had taken some samples of some products for testing and had found some to be unsafe.

http://www.ava.gov.sg/

Taken from AVA site

AVA had earlier issued a consumer advisory on 17 September 2008 about the recall of "Yili Brand" Choice Dairy Fruit Bar Yogurt Flavoured Ice Confection” based on Hong Kong’s findings of melamine contamination in such products. We had taken samples of the product for testing and subsequently found two samples to be contaminated with melamine. All stocks of "Yili Brand" Choice Dairy Fruit Bar Yogurt Flavoured Ice Confection” have been removed from market shelves since 17 September 2008 and will be destroyed.

Our tests also found that the “Dutch Lady” brand of strawberry flavoured milk manufactured in China to be contaminated with melamine. These products have also been recalled and will be destroyed. Other “Dutch Lady” brand milk products which are not manufactured in China are unaffected.

Consumers who have bought “Yili Brand” Choice Dairy Fruit Bar Yogurt Flavoured Ice Confection and “Dutch Lady” brand of strawberry flavoured milk (manufactured in China) are advised not to consume them.

Did AVA release a list of contaminated dairy product? There are lots of sms going round telling people AVA had stores remove more products from their shelf, but these product are not announced by the AVA.

Not sure are these sms info real of hoax.
    Last edited by denniskee; 21st September 2008 at 11:07 PM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Default Re: Is there a list of contaminated dairy product by AVA

There are many by products made with dairy. The bigger picture now may involve snacks and packed/canned food. The list can be huge given that most food manufacturing are from China.

Even if a product may say its from SEA, the diary source may be from China. Being part of the recipe, no one will know if part of the ingredients are from China. Eg, a cocoa drink may be from SEA, but the milk powder may be from China, tainted with the chemicals.

As it is, there is a huge list of things to test. What the testing agencies now is to take a few big nets and do random cast, hoping there is no trace of such chemicals in the food products sold locally.

Ever wonder why so many people have cancer these days? I am still trying to find out if the carcinogenic source is from natural ingredients and chemical laden foodstuff.

just in case:
    M&M
    Snickers
    mento's
    yoghurt
    dove choc
    oreo wafer sticks
    monmilk
    dutchlady sterilised milkwall's all natural mango
    mini poppers ice cream
    magnum ice cream
    moo sandwich ice cream
    mini cornetto
    youcan ice cream
    maybe advisable to stop taking these for a while(just to be safe)
    Last edited by dreaming; 21st September 2008 at 08:46 PM.

Personally, if the food I eat is contaminated with say pesticides or heavy metals (lead, mercury etc etc), it could be just that I was unlucky. Pollution is everywhere these days and it's hard to really contain it.

But what makes it unacceptable in this current fiasco, is that the contaminant is melamine. It's a poison that has been deliberately added, not a result of environmental pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
    Personally, if the food I eat is contaminated with say pesticides or heavy metals (lead, mercury etc etc), it could be just that I was unlucky. Pollution is everywhere these days and it's hard to really contain it.

But what makes it unacceptable in this current fiasco, is that the contaminant is melamine. It's a poison that has been deliberately added, not a result of environmental pollution.
    You will be surprised that the processes in large food factories or even fresh produce can have plenty of chemicals at times. Just remember, the greatest enemy in food stuff in supermarket is shelf life. It is always a big struggle how to make them look good and last long.

One simple example here: The fresh seafood on a bed of ice do look fresh and nice and do not stink much. The prawns, fishes are all dead for over three days, yet they dont rot! Do you believe that the bed of so called ice can make them stay fresh? How come there arent a multitude of houseflies hovering over the dead meat?

I heard from sources that frozen prawns has a deep freezer life of up to 5years!!

I know quite a fair bit about food and chemicals and sometimes, I hate myself for knowing too much.

My personal opinion is, live life to the fullest and spend time to love your close ones. Eat moderately and stay fit.

some times the simplest thing is the hardest to do. eat in moderation? wait till mega food fairs, & some foodie threads emerge. my tongue is wagging already!

latest news taken from AVA site

AVA’s latest laboratory findings show that the “White Rabbit Creamy Candy” (大白兔奶糖) from China is also contaminated with melamine. Consumers who have bought the affected products are advised not to consume them.
    Last edited by denniskee; 21st September 2008 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post

AVA’s latest laboratory findings show that the “White Rabbit Creamy Candy” (大白兔奶糖) from China is also contaminated with melamine. Consumers who have bought the affected products are advised not to consume them.
    That's nothing new though... Years ago it was banned in the Philippines for containing formaldehyde.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post

hmm, think most MIC stuff is under scrutiny, u might wanna use other sweets instead of shan zha for eye e city this year...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    hmm, think most MIC stuff is under scrutiny, u might wanna use other sweets instead of shan zha for eye e city this year...

Yesterday while shopping at a neighbourhood hypermart, I overheard a lady's conversation with son when he showed her a candy with toy (he wanted it). It went on like this:

Mother: Don't buy lah.... Made in China one. Eat already can die.

Son: Mmmm....But I like this toy.

Mother: Mama buy you Ricola sweets.

Son: Ricola sweets not nice one.

Mother: I say cannot buy means cannot buy. Put it back!

Son: ..... (placed the candy back onto the shelf).
    Last edited by photobum; 22nd September 2008 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    Yesterday while shopping at a neighbourhood hypermart, I overheard a lady's conversation with son when he showed her a candy with toy (he wanted it). It went on like this:

Mother: Don't buy lah.... Made in China one. Eat already can die.

Son: Mmmm....But I like this toy.

Mother: Mama buy you Ricola sweets.

Son: Ricola sweets not nice one.

Mother: I say cannot buy means cannot buy. Put it back!

Son: ..... (placed the candy back onto the shelf).
    sweet got toy, made in china... hmm...
    Last edited by Del_CtrlnoAlt; 22nd September 2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: edited to suit the above post
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Arrow Re: Is there a list of contaminated dairy product by AVA

After milk scandal then AVA do 100% check.

Tainted milk items in S'pore
    With melamine found in candy, Singapore halts sale of all products that may contain China milk

WHITE Rabbit Creamy Candy, a milk-based treat popular with children and adults here, has been found to be contaminated with melamine.

The candy joins two other brands - Dutch Lady strawberry-flavoured milk and Yili Choice Dairy Fruit Bar Yoghurt Flavoured Ice Confection - on the list of dairy products from China which the authorities here say are adulterated by the chemical normally found in plastics.

The tainted-milk scandal that originated in China is turning into a global food scare, as governments ban imports and retailers unilaterally take China milk products off the shelves (see list).

In China, four children have died from taking contaminated milk and another 12,892 warded for kidney problems.

Yesterday, a Hong Kong girl found with a kidney stone became the first suspected victim outside mainland China.

Farmers are said to add melamine to diluted milk to artificially raise its protein content.
    Coming after a string of scares and general approbation over its safety standards, Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao vowed in a state television broadcast to put an end to such scandals.

But the World Health Organisation (WHO) said yesterday that a quick reaction to the problem by Beijing had been hampered by delays in releasing critical information about the contamination of milk supplies.

WHO's Western Pacific director Shigeru Omi said his group had been helping China to deal with the scandal's fallout and advised Beijing to improve its safety checking and information disclosure systems.

In Singapore, the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) here is taking no chances:

Last night, it made it clear that it was suspending the import and sale of any product containing milk from China.

Besides milk and milk products such as ice-cream and yogurt, confectionery items such as chocolate, biscuits, sweets and anything that could contain milk from China came under its latest advisory.

The Straits Times found on Saturday that a 7-Eleven outlet in Braddell had pulled a list of products from its shelves. The list included Snickers bars, M&Ms, Nabisco Chicken In A Biskit, Dove chocolate bars, Mentos yogurt balls, Oreo wafer sticks, and Want Want Take One Baby Bites.

For consumers, reading labels seems advised: A check by The Straits Times last night found that the Snickers and Dove chocolates sold at a 7-Eleven convenience store in Toa Payoh were made in the United States, but those same chocolate brands sold at a neighbouring minimart were labelled 'Product of China'.

The attendant at the minimart said he had not been told anything about chocolates from China, but the shop had stopped selling White Rabbit sweets and Dutch Lady milk last Friday.

FairPrice, the biggest supermarket chain here, said it will be removing confectioneries made with China milk from their outlets from today.

Food science and technology lecturer Dr Leong Lai Peng from the National University of Singapore suggested that consumers buy only food that may contain milk from countries that are major producers of milk, such as Australia.

Avoiding cheap products is also another way. 'With cheap products, there is a chance it is made with milk from a country that sells milk cheaply, such as China,' she said.
    Consumers are already wary about processed foods or medicines from China.

Mr Andrew Oh, 38, who works in teleommunications, said: 'That's really scary, it really leads to a confidence loss. We've already been careful about canned food from China after the luncheon meat food scare, now this.'

Meanwhile, a new mother in Chengdu, Sichuan province, sensing a business opportunity amid the tainted-milk scandal has raised controversy by offering in an online advertisement to breast-feed other children - for a price. The 32-year-old said she has more milk than her three-month-old son can consume and is willing to sell the surplus in a 'breastfeeding service' for 300 yuan (S$63) a day.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_281262.html
    Last edited by xtemujin; 22nd September 2008 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    just in case:
    M&M
    Snickers
    mento's
    yoghurt
    dove choc
    oreo wafer sticks
    monmilk
    mini poppers ice cream
    magnum ice cream
    moo sandwich ice cream
    mini cornetto
    youcan ice cream
    Mmmmmm seems to me to be more like hysterical and a smear campaign. Better not forward those msgs unless you are dead sure it is the truth. It is not unlike spreading a bomb hoax....

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    just in case:
    M&M
    Snickers
    mento's
    yoghurt
    dove choc
    oreo wafer sticks
    monmilk
    mini poppers ice cream
    magnum ice cream
    moo sandwich ice cream
    mini cornetto
    youcan ice cream
    where u get the list from? i dont see it in ava. dont anyhow put, wait they sue you.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    Mmmmmm seems to me to be more like hysterical and a smear campaign. Better not forward those msgs unless you are dead sure it is the truth. It is not unlike spreading a bomb hoax....
    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    where u get the list from? i dont see it in ava. dont anyhow put, wait they sue you.
    guys look at #13 highlighted in red.

when i received that sms. i too was concern it might be and smear campaign and may get into trouble later. but seems not.

rea;;y hope AVA can give us a list soon.
    Last edited by denniskee; 22nd September 2008 at 11:52 PM.

Dennis, it was announced on TV just now in the news highlights that the list of possible products was too extensive to compile. Reason being that products may not be manufactured in China, but that it was difficult to determine IF any of the raw materials like milk/milk powder used in a product was sourced from China.

somehow my maid received the sms, and the exact list of products from her agent too.

Had to clear out nearly my entire pantry =.="
    Meow!

I heard or recalled...advise about not buying the cheaper biscuits and products, because the cheaper products would more likely have raw materials sourced from cheaper places like China.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast