Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    It is about foreign workers littering.
    Perhaps.

But not when people say things like:

"Frankly speaking, count us lucky that they didn't invade our public facilities. What is Trash as compared to a damn bus loaded with FT during rush hour!!!!"
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by Jukon View Post
    Oh they are from poor countries earning $$$ to provide their families a better life, so MUST we say "Please throw your where you like". Once, I drive past & saw 5 NEA officers got surrounded & threatened by them. A contractor told me, every Monday he collects 3 truckload of rubbish.
    As in my HDB lifts, I alway XXXX and scream at the FT maids & workers when they left the rubbish in the lifts. They simply say this is the best way as the chute is too small for the items they throw, and nobody is so Kaypoh to scold them in their countries. Lastly, not all locals are TRUE local. Indeed, there are good FTs, but only the nunber is too small until cannot see.
    why you always XXXX and scream at them? who are you to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Was the issue about littering, or about foreign workers? Littering is bad, no doubt about that, but I am starting to think there are some xenophobic undertones going on here. You're basically saying that all the rubbish is left behind by foreigners and that TRUE locals aren't capable of doing so?
    yah, i see the xenophobic undertones too.

Perhaps.

But not when people say things like:

"Frankly speaking, count us lucky that they didn't invade our public facilities. What is Trash as compared to a damn bus loaded with FT during rush hour!!!!"
    This is what I mean when I say that a problem is created when they are not educated about our social norms.

It sounds disciminatory when we describe the irks, but the experiences may not be far from the obvious. We are not known to have a culture for being polite, so sensitive issues will more often than not be described as we perceive them to be and not how we will be perceived.

Agree with you. My block are all local and yet there are rubbish strewn everywhere. From the top floor got flying rubbish. NEar the lift landing strewn with rubbish . Even near my air con ledge there are rubbish.

If I am interpreting your posts correctly, I think many of you are anti-Foreign Worker?

These people come from poor conditions and most of them have come here just to work and earn money and then go home to provide their families a better life. There may have been incidents, but by and large, they have kept to themselves (probably also because they are aware of the discrimination levelled against them). I think that we as S'poreans are generally affluent and therefore getting a bit too arrogant for our own good. Maybe that's why our neighbours don't like us? Don't forget, that room that you're sitting in now was most likely built up by foreign workers.

In my HDB block, there's always some fella who uses the lift as his personal rubbish bin. And there are others who can't even be bothered to step on the damn footpedal to open the rubbish chute door to throw in their rubbish. But I think this foreign worker who cleans this area does a GREAT job in making OUR own backyards clean. And this trend is set to continue as our kids leave their rubbish behind for their maids to clean up after them, and then look down at these people as beneath them.

Quote Originally Posted by hellrock View Post
    Agree with you. My block are all local and yet there are rubbish strewn everywhere. From the top floor got flying rubbish. NEar the lift landing strewn with rubbish . Even near my air con ledge there are rubbish.
    Ah, but how can you be sure that they are TRUE locals?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

the oni difference how such article come to being is that there is enough cleaners to pick up after us (percieved as locals). making the situation look like "foreign workers" were indeed more prone to littering.

i think the finger pointing has to stop, they're not the root of the problem, for a start put more bins where they congregate, hire people to encourage them to dispose of trash thoughtfully.

i have worked with them (native Indians, Chinese & Thai) before, a softer approach works far more effective than breathing down their necks. they view hardnosed tactics as a form of snobbery (sentiment echoed by those who returned unscathed but complained about flight delays as an example). follow local "rules" & social norms? 1st lead by example.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    the oni difference how such article come to being is that there is enough cleaners to pick up after us (percieved as locals). making the situation look like "foreign workers" were indeed more prone to littering.

i think the finger pointing has to stop, they're not the root of the problem, for a start put more bins where they congregate, hire people to encourage them to dispose of trash thoughtfully.

i have worked with them (native Indians, Chinese & Thai) before, a softer approach works far more effective than breathing down their necks. they view hardnosed tactics as a form of snobbery (sentiment echoed by those who returned unscathed but complained about flight delays as an example). follow local "rules" & social norms? 1st lead by example.
    Let me be blunt about this particular example of foreign workers littering. They are the culprits, there isn't anyone else to blame, the root of the perception problems highlighted in the press recently is due mainly to their behaviour and not ours. We don't have to lead by example. They need to learn that they will be looked down upon if they insist on behaving in this manner, just like how we will look down on fellow Singaporeans if they do likewise. They should not be defended like little children, they are adults and they can learn to assimilate.

Other than the rubbish, we should also worry about the safety of our residents in the area.
    I'm here to learn.:flame:

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    Let me be blunt about this particular example of foreign workers littering. They are the culprits, there isn't anyone else to blame, the root of the perception problems highlighted in the press recently is due mainly to their behaviour and not ours. We don't have to lead by example. They need to learn that they will be looked down upon if they insist on behaving in this manner, just like how we will look down on fellow Singaporeans if they do likewise. They should not be defended like little children, they are adults and they can learn to assimilate.
    if you don't walk the talk, your words don't carry weight = not worth listening to. they may likely be the 1s who littered, but judging from all the pics posted by the TS alone, i also do not see litter bins except 1 across the road in pic #3 & another in the last pic. if littering has been an issue for some time already least that can be done is to provide enough bins.

littering is always an issue where there is a crowd, not having proper ways to dispose of thrash is the end result. its unfortunate that the report chose to focus on a place where blue collar workers congregate. they are not being defended like little children, thats your personal view.

from the pics i see...north south east west, i see no litter bins...

maybe a suggestion is that if the town council knew about this place where the foreign workers can relax and gather together to meetup on their weekends/rest days, they probably think of a solution by putting big rubbish bins around them...

at least, they are good ones who set examples by throwing their stuff into the bins.

these crowds are normally the regulars..,
    maybe some of time, do employ their own pple, make rounds and to educate them..in a nice way...they may listen ...afterall, they come from a different culture background, they need time to adapt too..

蓮花仙子

Quote Originally Posted by Jukon View Post
    Oh they are from poor countries earning $$$ to provide their families a better life, so MUST we say "Please throw your where you like". Once, I drive past & saw 5 NEA officers got surrounded & threatened by them. A contractor told me, every Monday he collects 3 truckload of rubbish.
    As in my HDB lifts, I alway XXXX and scream at the FT maids & workers when they left the rubbish in the lifts. They simply say this is the best way as the chute is too small for the items they throw, and nobody is so Kaypoh to scold them in their countries. Lastly, not all locals are TRUE local. Indeed, there are good FTs, but only the nunber is too small until cannot see.
    synapse man has pretty mcuh said all i'd want to say about your post, so i'll just say this.

not all FT's are blue collar/domestic workers as you imply and assume. and even then, not all of them litter and pee in lifts and threaten NEA officers. While i do agree that SOME foreigners (and a bloody lot of locals too) do litter and give stupid excuses when caught, what you're saying implies a large amount of xenophobia on your part. intentional or not, i can't say.
    Last edited by vonlichenstein; 22nd September 2008 at 01:51 PM.
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

when I was studying in Australia, I encounter Aussies that said things like

"you chink should go back to China"
    "You chinks bring your dirty food to our great country"
    "You Asian scum dirty our land"
    "you Asians are like a vermin, spreading and taking our space"
    "Stay at home you chinks"

Now back in Singapore, we Singaporeans use the same terms on FTs.... Hah it shows we have been learning from Racists Caucasians on how to properly treat people that are deemed as lower class. After all we Singaporeans are so superior as compared to these "Trash".

(Disclaimer: Please read between the lines....)

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    when I was studying in Australia, I encounter Aussies that said things like

"you chink should go back to China"
    "You chinks bring your dirty food to our great country"
    "You Asian scum dirty our land"
    "you Asians are like a vermin, spreading and taking our space"
    "Stay at home you chinks"

Now back in Singapore, we Singaporeans use the same terms on FTs.... Hah it shows we have been learning from Racists Caucasians on how to properly treat people that are deemed as lower class. After all we Singaporeans are so superior as compared to these "Trash".

(Disclaimer: Please read between the lines....)
    o.O which part of australia were you at? my mother was there many years ago, it was just as bad, if not worse then.

its amusing how we "superior singaporeans" (aliteration!) can be so inferior.

Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    o.O which part of australia were you at? my mother was there many years ago, it was just as bad, if not worse then.

its amusing how we "superior singaporeans" (aliteration!) can be so inferior.
    Melbourne in 1998. Things are alot better now... but then again not all Aussies are like that. Just some "superior" ones. Just as not all Singaporeans are like that... just some "superior" ones.

well normally things like this shd be prevented with lotsa green bins actually.

have you check out little india station? especially friday, saturday nights.
    i felt pity to them. some slept besides my dad's car.
    Nikon D300s|D80|11-16 f2.8|17-50 f2.8|70-200 f2.8|35 f1.8|SB800|

shooting this photos is worth the shutter lifespan?

Arrow Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

Yes, it's worth the shutter lifespan of my camera if it brings about changes rather than folding my arms doing nothing and become a fence sitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    shooting this photos is worth the shutter lifespan?

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    Yes, it's worth the shutter lifespan of my camera if it brings about changes rather than folding my arms doing nothing and become a fence sitter.
    Post it to STOMP, will have a wider reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    Post it to STOMP, will have a wider reach.
    I've come to believe that alot of stompers are trolls/louts who flame and flame and flame, and then move on to a new target. at least, thats what i've noticed so far. maybe i just see the wrong articles.

oh gosh...i can't believe some people actually singled out foreigners as 'trouble-makers'

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast