Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 97

Thread: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

  1. #1
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    This problem has been up in the open through the newspaper and Stomp and it seems that nothing is being done.

    NEA officers don't work during the weekend and night time when the foreign workers congregate and in the morning the vacant plot of land becomes rubbish central.

    Morning sunrise greeted with rubbish strewn on the vacant plot of land.



    Fly robin fly up up in the sky.







    Peanuts.


  2. #2
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    White balance.



    Kingfisher and Carlsberg FTW.





    Packets of drink.



    One for the road.

    Last edited by xtemujin; 21st September 2008 at 05:21 PM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    Firstly, allow me to THANK you for highlighting this issue. Everytime I go reach my home mrt stop, which is boon lay, ESPECIALLY on a sunday night....the above scene is what i always see. I can even see the rubbish from my room window...

    I was tempted to take a long exposure shot with the rubbish and post it here myself but TS beaten my to it ... haha!

    I think its downright irresponsible for the "owners" of the rubbish to leave it there just like dat...helloooo.....this is Singapore....Clean and Green leh. Pls don't bring your hometown habits and culture to boon lay pls...

    Actually if you think about it, after they strewn their rubbish there after a night of merrymaking, their friends from their hometown will have to clean it up the next morning...tch tch...
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    Actually if you want...i can go down tonight to shoot. I can already see a small throng of ppl gathering on those grass patches, leaving their unwanted hansel and gretel trail...
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    Foreign workers!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    The culprits are the FTs ?
    always the Light, .... always.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    Foreign workers!

    be more specific!!! or the Chinese / Indian / Thia / Myan.. will be very angry

  8. #8

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    Frankly speaking, count us lucky that they didn't invade our public facilities. What is Trash as compared to a damn bus loaded with FT during rush hour!!!!

    Luckily, most of them dun like to swim.. or else swimming complex also no need to go alrdy

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    Quote Originally Posted by tkbonz View Post
    Firstly, allow me to THANK you for highlighting this issue. Everytime I go reach my home mrt stop, which is boon lay, ESPECIALLY on a sunday night....the above scene is what i always see. I can even see the rubbish from my room window...

    I was tempted to take a long exposure shot with the rubbish and post it here myself but TS beaten my to it ... haha!

    I think its downright irresponsible for the "owners" of the rubbish to leave it there just like dat...helloooo.....this is Singapore....Clean and Green leh. Pls don't bring your hometown habits and culture to boon lay pls...

    Actually if you think about it, after they strewn their rubbish there after a night of merrymaking, their friends from their hometown will have to clean it up the next morning...tch tch...
    Do you honestly think that S'poreans are any better? The only reason why S'pore is perceived to be so clean is because we have an army of cleaners picking up after us. If we reduce the number of rubbish bins in town by half, and have all cleaners go on strike for the weekend, do you think we'd be as "clean and green"?

    At the park near my HDB estate, there was recently a major Mooncake fest celebration. While the celebrations were going on, I could already see a lot of trash everywhere, burnt lanterns and candle wax on the rubberised playground surfaces. The next morning, everything was all clean again.

    How do you think that happened?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  10. #10

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    I kinda agree with synapseman. Rubbish will always be seen after a large crowd, be it foreigners or locals. Putting things into perspective, just look at the aftermath of countdown parties and NDPs, or just after CNY (2 days PH for the contractors). It's just that this time the offending party happens to the foreign workers.

    So what's the real point of this thread?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    If I am interpreting your posts correctly, I think many of you are anti-Foreign Worker?

    These people come from poor conditions and most of them have come here just to work and earn money and then go home to provide their families a better life. There may have been incidents, but by and large, they have kept to themselves (probably also because they are aware of the discrimination levelled against them). I think that we as S'poreans are generally affluent and therefore getting a bit too arrogant for our own good. Maybe that's why our neighbours don't like us? Don't forget, that room that you're sitting in now was most likely built up by foreign workers.

    In my HDB block, there's always some fella who uses the lift as his personal rubbish bin. And there are others who can't even be bothered to step on the damn footpedal to open the rubbish chute door to throw in their rubbish. But I think this foreign worker who cleans this area does a GREAT job in making OUR own backyards clean. And this trend is set to continue as our kids leave their rubbish behind for their maids to clean up after them, and then look down at these people as beneath them.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  12. #12

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    Objection!

    ya lor, my house lift always got people pee one, sometime everyday ! Local or FT? Dont ask me, ask OCBC.
    Last edited by ninelives; 21st September 2008 at 07:36 PM.
    Objection !!!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    Pardon me for my outburst. Realized on looking back at my post that i wasn't tactful/sensitive enough.

    Anyway I have nothing against FT. I just feel that somewhere along the line, they might not understand our local norms well enough; mainly due to the lack of communication to them. There was this news article recently discussing about a similar issue and the solution is to get the supervisors to brief to them about local norms and to work out a system whereby seasoned FT will go around advising those newbie FT. Just that somehow in boon lay's grass patch, this was not applied.

    Yes, its undeniable locals aren't exactly "clean" ourselves. I've seen the aftermath of NDP and the uphill task of clearing up the trash.
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    The fact is that the rubbish is left there by foreign workers. It does not occur only at Boon Lay but at most places where they congregate. I wonder if these people ever get served with CWOs like Singaporeans. Litterbugs do not need others defending them, Singaporeans or not, they are all the same.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao View Post
    I kinda agree with synapseman. Rubbish will always be seen after a large crowd, be it foreigners or locals. Putting things into perspective, just look at the aftermath of countdown parties and NDPs, or just after CNY (2 days PH for the contractors). It's just that this time the offending party happens to the foreign workers.

    So what's the real point of this thread?
    This is a very good example of why foreign workers get stereotyped and subsequently disliked.

    When they live here in Singapore, there are rules and other social norms that they need to learn and abide with. The problem with many of them is that they never get educated about these rules or social norms, as such create situations that makes them look like as if flouting the law is part and parcel of them.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    May i suggest that in any events held here, the MC should at least announce regularly to remind people not to leave rubbish behind, or dirty the places after an events, unless you are paying $10,000 per ticket (like the F1)....
    always the Light, .... always.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao View Post
    I kinda agree with synapseman. Rubbish will always be seen after a large crowd, be it foreigners or locals. Putting things into perspective, just look at the aftermath of countdown parties and NDPs, or just after CNY (2 days PH for the contractors). It's just that this time the offending party happens to the foreign workers.

    So what's the real point of this thread?
    witch hunt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    Litterbugs do not need others defending them, Singaporeans or not, they are all the same.
    true. just that som elaws have no teeth, or is some laws just scare tactics?

    Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    This is a very good example of why foreign workers get stereotyped and subsequently disliked.

    When they live here in Singapore, there are rules and other social norms that they need to learn and abide with. The problem with many of them is that they never get educated about these rules or social norms, as such create situations that makes them look like as if flouting the law is part and parcel of them.
    local & PRs oso know our social norms but oso litter. any1 seen these fraction of foreign workers go our local cinemas? but recent reports cite littering as a problem too.


    in the end our gahmen would have a huge reserve if most who litter get fined $500. just NDP alone can liao.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    If I am interpreting your posts correctly, I think many of you are anti-Foreign Worker?

    These people come from poor conditions and most of them have come here just to work and earn money and then go home to provide their families a better life. There may have been incidents, but by and large, they have kept to themselves (probably also because they are aware of the discrimination levelled against them). I think that we as S'poreans are generally affluent and therefore getting a bit too arrogant for our own good. Maybe that's why our neighbours don't like us? Don't forget, that room that you're sitting in now was most likely built up by foreign workers.

    In my HDB block, there's always some fella who uses the lift as his personal rubbish bin. And there are others who can't even be bothered to step on the damn footpedal to open the rubbish chute door to throw in their rubbish. But I think this foreign worker who cleans this area does a GREAT job in making OUR own backyards clean. And this trend is set to continue as our kids leave their rubbish behind for their maids to clean up after them, and then look down at these people as beneath them.
    Oh they are from poor countries earning $$$ to provide their families a better life, so MUST we say "Please throw your where you like". Once, I drive past & saw 5 NEA officers got surrounded & threatened by them. A contractor told me, every Monday he collects 3 truckload of rubbish.
    As in my HDB lifts, I alway XXXX and scream at the FT maids & workers when they left the rubbish in the lifts. They simply say this is the best way as the chute is too small for the items they throw, and nobody is so Kaypoh to scold them in their countries. Lastly, not all locals are TRUE local. Indeed, there are good FTs, but only the nunber is too small until cannot see.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukon View Post
    Oh they are from poor countries earning $$$ to provide their families a better life, so MUST we say "Please throw your where you like". Once, I drive past & saw 5 NEA officers got surrounded & threatened by them. A contractor told me, every Monday he collects 3 truckload of rubbish.
    As in my HDB lifts, I alway XXXX and scream at the FT maids & workers when they left the rubbish in the lifts. They simply say this is the best way as the chute is too small for the items they throw, and nobody is so Kaypoh to scold them in their countries. Lastly, not all locals are TRUE local. Indeed, there are good FTs, but only the nunber is too small until cannot see.
    Was the issue about littering, or about foreign workers? Littering is bad, no doubt about that, but I am starting to think there are some xenophobic undertones going on here. You're basically saying that all the rubbish is left behind by foreigners and that TRUE locals aren't capable of doing so?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  20. #20

    Default Re: Rubbish @ Boon Lay Interchange.

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Was the issue about littering, or about foreign workers? Littering is bad, no doubt about that, but I am starting to think there are some xenophobic undertones going on here. You're basically saying that all the rubbish is left behind by foreigners and that TRUE locals aren't capable of doing so?
    It is about foreign workers littering.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •