Thread: Colour shift and deterioration switching between NX and CS3

Default Colour shift and deterioration switching between NX and CS3

Hi I just got a new LG L2000CP IPS monitor, and it is attached to a freshly formatted Vista x64 laptop. Monitor is calibrated with i1 Display LT to 6500k/2.2. I am now noticing a very obvious colour shift between capture NX 2 and other colour managed applications (namely CS3, firefox3, view NX). This is very noticable especially in the blues. As seen below:

The problem worsens after every round of print screen done as well. I should mention that the file opened in NX2 is the most accurate to what my eye perceives (shot using D300). The rest just displays blues as violet. Do note that i'm talking about JPGs here so there shouldn't be any problem with picture control settings.

The same problem is visible on the laptop screen, albeit even worse since the laptop LCD cannot display the violets properly ending up in blotchy patches of purple.

One interesting point to note is that non-colour managed applications like IE and google Chrome renders the picture the same as NX2 (more accurate), which makes me wonder if NX2 is even colour managed.

I am not a professional and is new to colour management. I bought into calibration just so that I could have more confidence editing my pictures, and now i feel like i've opened a can of worms.

Please advice on what i could do.

Default Re: Colour shift and deterioration switching between NX and CS3

After a lot of digging around the web, it seems that the root of the problem lies with the fact that the gamut of the blues of the monitor is not up to the blues of the sRGB space. (problem seen even in 2408wfp and cinema displays). At least that is what the colorimeter thinks after calibration. During the conversion, somehow photoshop (or any other CM software) just dumps in red to compensate. This is very apparent in a simple experiment i did.

Create 0,0,255 patch in sRGB space in photoshop. Convert it to prophotoRGB. The patch becomes 85,35,235. Not very blue indeed.

What struck me was that there was no solution to this problem as far as i seached, and either everyone else uses CRT monitors, or everyone else don't calibrate their monitors, it seems that i'm facing an isolated problem. If there is anyone here that uses calibrated LCD screens, please share your experience, your hardware used, and whether you just accept the problem, or just don't have the problem.

Thanks

go to this page, go to the specific page listed on the top left called "Profiles and Windows" and read the section titled "Why are IE and Photoshop Different?"

Wow.. that is some info. Really appreciate your help theRBK. I was wondering if there is a way to preview/proof my picture for web use (ie view the picture without XYZtristimulus values applied) within photoshop. Most or my pictures are posted online, so i need to know what it will roughly look like on other's computer, without having to open the picture in a 2nd, non CM application just to preview.

Thanks!

Paiseh i just realised i could just proof it by setting proof-> monitor RGB.

Quote Originally Posted by ahsosl1e8 View Post
    Paiseh i just realised i could just proof it by setting proof-> monitor RGB.
    that would only work for sure on your monitor... on someone else's monitor, it might still have a colour shift... to be sure of colour over the web, use a colour aware browser like Firefox 3...

that would only work for sure on your monitor... on someone else's monitor, it might still have a colour shift... to be sure of colour over the web, use a colour aware browser like Firefox 3...
    It's getting so ironic... this means that pictures posted online will only look good on calibrated monitors running CM aware firefox3, while the rest of the people will be seeing god-knows-what?

And most pictures i'm seeing using non-CM browsers online look more natural than using FF3. Feels like i'm taking a step back after all the trouble of calibration.