Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Pentax Stuff: a new dSLR camera and several lenses

Default Re: New Pentax Stuff: a new dSLR camera and several lenses

Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    Also, I hope the new K-M would have lesser features so that its cost will be attractive to first time buyers. For example, it can forego the weather sealing and SDM.
    Making it too crippled in feature set will actually be a put off to would-be buyers. It makes no sense to leave out SDM when there are current SDM lenses in production.

A little disappointed Pentax did not choose to introduce a shorter focal length. The 15mm seems a tad too close to the 18mm kit lens range even though it will have much less distortion.
    The 3mm difference between 15mm and 18mm is HUGE in terms of angle of view.

btw, seems their road map is running out of road! Time to plan in some more delicious lenses for the future...?
    Still got plenty of gaps in their roadmap. 85mm and 135mm fast teles for one...

The original 18-55 is already made of plastic mostly!
    In anycase, if I was smart in marketing, the "L" series is probably yhe original 18-55 rebranded to differentiate from the 18-55 II.
    Also, I hope the new K-M would have lesser features so that its cost will be attractive to first time buyers. For example, it can forego the weather sealing and SDM. In return, the price can be made to be cheapest amongst the entry level cameras, yet offering 10MP and a range of useful features for taking great shots. To me, a new entrant would be more focussed on this. A killer price would be $800 for the K-M including 18-55 lens. (retail, maybe OP will let it go at the usual discount)
    A little disappointed Pentax did not choose to introduce a shorter focal length. The 15mm seems a tad too close to the 18mm kit lens range even though it will have much less distortion. A 10mm f/3.2 limited would have been ideal! Myabe make it a pancake too

btw, seems their road map is running out of road! Time to plan in some more delicious lenses for the future...?
    We don't know the new L lens is the first or the second kit modified yet. But the new camera definitely will support both SDM and screw driven lenses.

15mm vs 18mm that's a big difference, much bigger than the numbers indicate

Looking at the pictures of the new Pentax L kit lenses, there is no mistaking the cost cutting involved when they don't even bother to put distance scales on the focusing ring.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Looking at the pictures of the new Pentax L kit lenses, there is no mistaking the cost cutting involved when they don't even bother to put distance scales on the focusing ring.
    Nice finding. Never saw a lens w/o distance scale

Now we have two new sets of prime line up, the true pancakes:

Not really pancakes but pretty compact combo:

Which one you'd prefer? I myself prefer the DA15+DA35+FA77 combo. These three lenses look quite alike too

Quote Originally Posted by macrob View Post
    the 1.4X SDM converter is what I need, turn my 50-135/2.8 to 70-200/4, haha.
    Hahaha Same here bro Same here
    Will wait for that Yahooooooo
    Canon 5D2, 1dmk2n, 24-70 L, 70-200 L, 50 1.8

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    Which one you'd prefer? I myself prefer the DA15+DA35+FA77 combo. These three lenses look quite alike too
    Considering I already have 2/3 of the series, I would more likely follow the pancake series.
    But I have not need/motivation to get the DA21 now or anytime in the near future.

The DA* 60-250 looks really interesting though...
    Think it will compliment my lens collection pretty well...
    Hope it's affordable...

Aero Bright Coating on new DA* 55

So Pentax follows in the footsteps of Nikon (Crystal Clear Coat) and Canon (Sub Wavelength Coating). It seems that only the front lens gets this special coating and that it results in extremely low flare. The new 55 mm is developed by legend lens developer Jun Hirakawa, the man behind such lenses as:
    FA* 80-200 mm, 24 mm, 85 mm, 600 mm
    FA Limited 43 mm, 77 mm
    DA 14 mm, 50-200 mm, 10-17 mm
    DA Limited 40 mm

According to Hirakawa the new lens will be creamier than *85 mm and offer more punch than the FA77 mm. He also said that it had been really challenging to develop the focusing mechanism on this lens to achieve the right feel. For me at least this lens is a must buy. Bokeh lovers around the world will be pleased.
    Some specs:

lenses/elements 9/8
    format APS-C
    closest focus 45 cm
    9 rounded aperture blades
    SDM

I thought I wouldn't buy any more lens from now on, but this DA*55 looks really tempting

I completed the first combo. The second combo i have 1/3 of it. Will probably just get the DA15mm to complete a DA Limited combo.

I have the first combo as well. For the 2nd combo I might get the DA15 and DA35 only.
    Pentaxian for life ! My Webby
    K-X, DA70mm F2.4. DA 35mm F2.4, DA 18-135 WR

Me also aiming the da15. But in the future when i have some cash to burn and itch for lens purchase, I would get the FA77. But that would probably be years later, hopefully its not EOL by then. Else I'll get it earlier. Ha.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Aero Bright Coating on new DA* 55

So Pentax follows in the footsteps of Nikon (Crystal Clear Coat) and Canon (Sub Wavelength Coating). It seems that only the front lens gets this special coating and that it results in extremely low flare. The new 55 mm is developed by legend lens developer Jun Hirakawa, the man behind such lenses as:
    FA* 80-200 mm, 24 mm, 85 mm, 600 mm
    FA Limited 43 mm, 77 mm
    DA 14 mm, 50-200 mm, 10-17 mm
    DA Limited 40 mm

According to Hirakawa the new lens will be creamier than *85 mm and offer more punch than the FA77 mm. He also said that it had been really challenging to develop the focusing mechanism on this lens to achieve the right feel. For me at least this lens is a must buy. Bokeh lovers around the world will be pleased.
    Some specs:

lenses/elements 9/8
    format APS-C
    closest focus 45 cm
    9 rounded aperture blades
    SDM
    the new lens will be creamier than *85 mm and offer more punch than the FA77 mm
    who wants to pre order...

will he be redesigning the 80-200mm... that would be the ultimate lens
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

I may be suaku here be first time I see a non-petal like lens hood. I think this one looks nicer!

As for the L lenses, although the photos did not show it, the bayonet which is usually chrome metal is black plastic! So if you take the lens out too often, will that wear down the mechanical flange faster?

Thanks dennis/fengwei on the clarification for the 15mm and 18mm difference. We already have a 14mm f/2.8, so I wonder what need does this 15mm f/4 satisfy, it being longer and slower too.
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

Thanks dennis/fengwei on the clarification for the 15mm and 18mm difference. We already have a 14mm f/2.8, so I wonder what need does this 15mm f/4 satisfy, it being longer and slower too.
    It's much smaller I can foresee that some DA14 owners would change to this smaller and cuter DA15 limited when it comes to the market

Here's the Press Releases and specs:

K-m
    http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2008/200819.html

Japanese site (some interesting screenshots)
    http://www.pentax.jp/japan/imaging/d...m/feature.html

The 2 new DA* lenses announced
    http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2008/200818.html

The AF160C Ring flash
    http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2008/200817.html

From Dpreview
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08...starlenses.asp
    The smc PENTAX-DA* 60-250mm F4ED[IF] SDM will retail at around 899.99. Price to be confirmed on the smc PENTAX-DA★*55mm F1.4 SDM Lens.

That comes out to be SG$2300+ according to the current exchange rate of SG$2.6 to the .
    Very expensive.
    D7000 + MB-D11, AF-S 18-105 VR, AF-S 70-300 VR, AF-S 50/1.8G, Tamron 90 Macro, Metz 50 AF-1.

Ringflash is really tempting
    60-250 also omg BBB Strikes again hehehe
    Canon 5D2, 1dmk2n, 24-70 L, 70-200 L, 50 1.8

It's much smaller I can foresee that some DA14 owners would change to this smaller and cuter DA15 limited when it comes to the market
    Does the 1mm make a diff here? hope the price of the da15 is in the range of $6-700. If it's about 1k, probably more worthwhile getting the da*16-50.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    Does the 1mm make a diff here? hope the price of the da15 is in the range of $6-700. If it's about 1k, probably more worthwhile getting the da*16-50.
    I don't think that 1mm difference would a big deal for most users, but the size/weight will be a deal-break You can't find any 15mm lens that is so small and compact

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast