Thread: Lightroom2 Lagginess

Default Lightroom2 Lagginess

Hey guys. Here's my situation. I have lightroom2 trial, and I don't suppose the retail LR2 is any much different.

I have somewhere around 30,000 pictures on my 2 HDDS, both still have ample space (at least 5-10% of 150gb), one is internal, the other is external, with the power USB plugged in as well.

Whenever I load up lightroom2, after the initial startup sequence where they load the layout and everything, I realise that at the left, the folders are at first all grey. Then it starts to lag up, and bit by bit, the text start to turn from grey to white. I'm thinking this signifies that LR2 "has confirmed that x number of photos are in the folder and are in working order". This is the part that lags, and it can take up to 5min for it to complete it and cooldown.

I don't want that to happen. I don't want lag at all. Photoshop CS 1/2/3 doesn't do this, so I do not want LR2 to do it either.

What are my solutions? My computer, even though it's 2.5 years old, is still alive and kicking. 2gig ram, 256mb 7800gt, amd dual core 2ghz processor. I don't see why it can't handle LR2. Whenever I load up LR2 to export a couple of photos (ie convert RAW format to JPG) I have to load it up because I don't like the Canon DPP software and like to work with one software alone.

Any help would be good.

Cheers
    Zexun
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Default Re: Lightroom2 Lagginess

How about optimising the catalog?
    Edit > Preferences > Catalog settings > Relaunch and Optimise

your processor is too slow. it makes a lot of difference. i use LR both at my workplace and home. my office uses a pentium D, its like so much faster already than mine which is a amd 3800+ (2ghz)
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    Whenever I load up lightroom2, after the initial startup sequence where they load the layout and everything, I realise that at the left, the folders are at first all grey. Then it starts to lag up, and bit by bit, the text start to turn from grey to white. I'm thinking this signifies that LR2 "has confirmed that x number of photos are in the folder and are in working order". This is the part that lags, and it can take up to 5min for it to complete it and cooldown.

I don't want that to happen. I don't want lag at all. Photoshop CS 1/2/3 doesn't do this, so I do not want LR2 to do it either.
    Keep in mind how LR works and what the purpose of this program is. I also have LR2, 7500 pictures via network share from server and an AthlonXP 2000+ with enough RAM. It shows exactly the same behaviour as you describe it. But that's not really a lag because I can start working already although the folders are still in processing.
    LR2 has a database where the location of each picture is stored. That's the catalog of the Library Module. When a database is started up a consistency check is performed, that's normal and also essential to maintain data integrity. LR2 checks if the file location is still the same as stored in the metadata. Nothing wrong about it.
    To shorten this process you can start separating your files into smaller catalogs. Once you have created a collection of files you can export them as catalog. That will create a very small catalog and the amount of files to be checked upon start is much smaller.
    The processor is only one component, there are many other factors that affect the system performance. Does Photoshop has a database-like system to organize pictures? I don't think so.

@ Ah Pao - LR2 now works a bit faster, but it's just a slight bit faster. Better than nothing, thanks!
    @Wanzw - I'll think about upgrading my comp after I complete my lens lineups =) Cheers
    @ Octarine Oh damn.. now I have to catalogue 30k shots. Why didn't I do that earlier =(

Thanks for the info guys.

Cheers
    Zexun
    Last edited by Headshotzx; 21st September 2008 at 07:44 PM.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
    @ Octarine Oh damn.. now I have to catalogue 30k shots. Why didn't I do that earlier =(
    You can do this already when importing. on the import dialog where you see the thumbnails already you can apply already keywords. It's the lower part of left column. You can define standard import settings e.g. for copyright information. In addition you can add keywords which you can later use for sorting and exporting.
    I have spent a weekend just to get my pictures tagged. But now it works like a charm to search for certain shoots. Don't want to miss this anymore! Maybe Adobe will integrate full DB support one fine day? MySQL is free and powerful