Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Non-dSLR user Considering a switch. Any pointers on what to get?

Default Re: Non-dSLR user Considering a switch. Any pointers on what to get?

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingIdol View Post
    How about considering Oly - E3.
    Get your self 14-54mm lens and you can get this...

or this, shot with ISO 1600..

Cheers...!
    Thanks lots, I always enjoy people posting sample pictures!

I'd say a tad bit much noise with the ISO1600. But not something I can't live with entirely.

How much is the price of those? The E3 body I mean. 2nd handed.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

Default Re: Non-dSLR user Considering a switch. Any pointers on what to get?

Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    Hi fellow CSers,

I was just wondering what kind of body and lens I should be getting. Also I don't have an extreme budget, below 1000 (further the better), and don't really mind second hand either.

I know what kind of pictures I want, but don't know what lens/body to get. I've tried looking through the lists and end up a little confused really.

Body: Seriously I don't understand the different formats, and what differences there are in the body. What is a standard body that accommodates most lens? Not too pricey one too. I assume the sensor affects the ISO? (My current camera ISO noise isnt quite optimal)

Lens: I love the shallow DoF effect, and a lot of times take low light pictures too. (Not that low, but maybe like a warmly lit hotel lounge at night.) Though the common belief is bigger the better, I understand that too shallow DoF is extremely hard to focus. So how much is enough really? F/2? Is F2.8 too little? As for the focal length... (clueless). Say if I set up an ideal, 28-200mm F/2 Lens. Are there any real lens in the market that comes close to this? How much are they?

Really really appreciate all the help you can give me! Thanks
    If you are still new, maybe try to get a Sony Alpha 100, the first DSLR which Sony produced. I'm currently using it. It takes good photos. Price ranges form $800 onwards.
    Photography & Audiophile Addict :lovegrin:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234