27 21.60%
  • No, never

37 29.60%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Using your digital camera as a Video camera

Default Re: Using your digital camera as a Video camera

i take video of trains at night

if in the day, i take photos lor...
    The Railway Enthusiast. Keretapi Tanah Melayu. KTM Intercity. Click for my DeviantART page

Probably for a clip or two. It's not a camcorder!

First off I did not buy the camera for it's video.

Although still at its infancy, i certainly do not think it is murdering photography and vehemently rejects it. I don't think it is a must, but since it came with the camera i will make use for it when the opportunity arise

Ryan

Had started this thread a year ago, with the technology advancement over all these time. We have seen cinematic movie taken solely using a dslr.

Hence would like to ask the same question again, do you use your digtal camera as a video camera?

seriously i do not see why some ppl are so against a DSLR taking video.. it has the function, so using it will make u look not so pro thats why some laugh over it?

here's a few video made from Dslr (5d mkii and 500D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EUBYsbS_p8&fmt=22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C02yaa8OPV0&fmt=22

Yes, I will use the function for casual video shot. For impt stuff, I will use video cam.

I personally use my S5 IS for video and photo functions while my DSLR as a portrait camera.

Canon S5 IS series newer or later has very good at video recording quality as well as stereo sound, plus the ability to snap photo while video recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Had started this thread a year ago, with the technology advancement over all these time. We have seen cinematic movie taken solely using a dslr.

Hence would like to ask the same question again, do you use your digtal camera as a video camera?
    video yes...but audio is another thing entirely. imagine a shotgun mike from a boom pole connected to a video dslr..
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

also.. dont forget video in DSLR can hv very nice bokeh... something that the procams can do.. even a $1.7k Panasonic or Canon or Sony HD camcorder cannot hv effect to that extent..

Quote Originally Posted by TsQ View Post
    also.. dont forget video in DSLR can hv very nice bokeh... something that the procams can do.. even a $1.7k Panasonic or Canon or Sony HD camcorder cannot hv effect to that extent..
    But most of the time, shallow DOF is not what you want esp if you use it for travel. Moreover, it makes OOF more obvious, not to mention these DSLR do not have AF for video.

ya. i always wonder about AF in DLSR>. so means , after u AF ur subject, then the subject runs nearer or futher then u hv to constantly adjust focusing at ur subject while u video-ing?

ya. i always wonder about AF in DLSR>. so means , after u AF ur subject, then the subject runs nearer or futher then u hv to constantly adjust focusing at ur subject while u video-ing?
    Yup... manual focus. Those pro-videographers are not greatly affected since most of them prefer manual focus for video creativity.

500D and 5DMKII does offers AF, but 500D AF is lousier than 5DMKII.

when u say 500D AF is lousier is for video of normal still shots? ... as mentioned, video dont hv AF rite in either of those DSLR...

when u say 500D AF is lousier is for video of normal still shots? ... as mentioned, video dont hv AF rite in either of those DSLR...
    Have, you need to press the AF button for it to focus. Unlike digicam, they will auto focus as they record. For DSLR, u need to press the AF button to let it autofocus.

Google 500D movie mode for more information.
    FYI: 5DMKII and 500D can take pictures while movie recording.

The only reason some folks do not realise the potential of video on a DSLR is that they have not tried it nor do they see any advantage. Its like when film cameras first came out and the old paint brush artist would lament that its not art, etc, etc..... While those who master it will make use of these new tools to further their trade.

Yes, painters still exists, so does film, and so does digital sensors. Btw most photographers would have an eye for composition and so find the transition from stills to moving pictures quite easy. The 5Dmk2 demo videos were done by a still photog who has moved on to do videos as well as stills.

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post

I have a sony video cam but i think my 5DMII excel better than video cam because of the bokeh it can achieve and ability to control ISO, aperture, shutter speed.
    The only limitation is the noise when zooming but can be countered by dubbing or using an external mic. So i think its worth investing.
    Moreover i can use it as 2 in 1 when i travel overseas.

I am actually thinking to get 500D from 450D simply becos of the Video... i hv a Panasonic TM300 full HD cam.. top notch video cam, but sometimes u just dont want to : switch off dSLR, put back inside bag... then take out video cam... video for 2 mins then need to reverse the process again...

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus View Post
    The only reason some folks do not realise the potential of video on a DSLR is that they have not tried it nor do they see any advantage. Its like when film cameras first came out and the old paint brush artist would lament that its not art, etc, etc..... While those who master it will make use of these new tools to further their trade.

Yes, painters still exists, so does film, and so does digital sensors. Btw most photographers would have an eye for composition and so find the transition from stills to moving pictures quite easy. The 5Dmk2 demo videos were done by a still photog who has moved on to do videos as well as stills.
    very well said! agree 100%..the potential in DSLR video is endless as you are able to use different specialty lenses which you cannot do with camcorders, you just have to know how to fully utilize the cam's strong points and know how to deal with the weakness..in fact i find the 5 minute limitation of the d5000/d90 as a plus factor as it forces you to "not to be lazy" and take very long videos, this way, it makes editing easier and forces you to plan ahead of shooting..this is a trend that is scoffed at the start but if given time to mature, proves to be very useful, it's like the transition from manual focus to auto focus (purists at that time laughed off auto focus as being very noobish), viewfinder to live view (the idea of live view is laughed at but look at most modern dslr, they all have live view), still lcd to tild lcd and now video..

guys.. is the D90/D5000 video really a lot worst off then say the canon 500D ?? i know the blind effect thingy.. but does it really matters if u are not panning ur camera fast ? (i mean who video-ing family shots will pan their camera so fast anyway??)

Hi, With Gh1, videos for sports, racing cars, etc not for still subjects

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123