Thread: Flash + high ISO, or Flash + low ISO

Default Flash + high ISO, or Flash + low ISO

Hi everyone, as above....

I am using 450D +580EX.
    I was taking some night picture during the mooncake festival (children playing with candles/lanteen)

My question is, if we use ISO 1600, and flash, i believe that there will be more background details right? Is it true?

Cos that day, I was using ISO 100-200 + flash. I find the background a bit dark. (the subject lighten up by flash)

Therefore, will like to ask you experts, if u using flash, whats ur ISO setting...

another eg, if you are walking around Chinatown, or Malacca's Jonker walk, what will be your setting? ISO ? + flash.

Last question, understand that using ISO 1600, there will be more noise. Question is, if the subject is wearing TOTAL black, and flash is use, will the subject still be noisy, since light had brighten the subject.

Thanks.

Default Re: Flash + high ISO, or Flash + low ISO

Quote Originally Posted by magic1980 View Post
    Hi everyone, as above....

I am using 450D +580EX.
    I was taking some night picture during the mooncake festival (children playing with candles/lanteen)

My question is, if we use ISO 1600, and flash, i believe that there will be more background details right? Is it true?

Cos that day, I was using ISO 100-200 + flash. I find the background a bit dark. (the subject lighten up by flash)

Therefore, will like to ask you experts, if u using flash, whats ur ISO setting...

another eg, if you are walking around Chinatown, or Malacca's Jonker walk, what will be your setting? ISO ? + flash.

Last question, understand that using ISO 1600, there will be more noise. Question is, if the subject is wearing TOTAL black, and flash is use, will the subject still be noisy, since light had brighten the subject.

Thanks.
    Depends on the effect you need and wish to create.

If you wish to isolate your subject against a wall of black, then use low ISO, but your flash will be working harder.

If you wish for a balanced BG and subject, then consider using high ISO, slower shutter speeds and also a larger aperture.

Noise occurs normally when the picture is under-exposed. So if the exposure is correct, it should not bother u tat much. Use Noise ninja if u need to clean it up.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Blog Entries

jonker's walk at night?

no flash + hi iso

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...hlight=malacca

Yes, the background will be further lighted up due to the high iso. Your flash will take care of the foreground subjects.

Well, there is no magic formula. It really depends on the lighting situation then. Rear sync flash? front sync flash? What you want to shoot, you adjust accordingly. Now with digital, its so much easier.

[/QUOTE]

Depends on what im shooting. Landscape? Portrait? If I'm shooting portrait, maybe a 35mm/50mm + flash? depending on the situation

Hmm, if you're using flash on subject, why need iso 1600? The flash will light your subject up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokka View Post
    Hmm, if you're using flash on subject, why need iso 1600? The flash will light your subject up.
    cos i dont want the background to be dark dark and subj to be bright bright. not nice...

cos i dont want the background to be dark dark and subj to be bright bright. not nice...
    Try a slow sync flash on ur camera.

hi what is a slow sync flash? could u kindly explain to me?

Quote Originally Posted by nlghtxx View Post
    hi what is a slow sync flash? could u kindly explain to me?
    SLow sync flash - Shutter opens to capture ambient light (In this case the background), after which before the shutter closes, the flash comes on to light the foreground (In this case the subject).

Do note the difference between rear sync flash and front sync flash. 1 fires the flash and then continues with the exposure whereas the other does the opposite.

Try googling to see example shots.

CHeers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokka View Post
    SLow sync flash - Shutter opens to capture ambient light (In this case the background), after which before the shutter closes, the flash comes on to light the foreground (In this case the subject).

Do note the difference between rear sync flash and front sync flash. 1 fires the flash and then continues with the exposure whereas the other does the opposite.

Try googling to see example shots.

CHeers!
    The scenario you mentioned is called rear sync flash, not slow sync flash. Slow sync flash is the general term for using your flash with a slightly longer exposure, also known as 'dragging the shutter'.

Here is something for you to read http://planetneil.com/tangents/flash...hy-techniques/

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    The scenario you mentioned is called rear sync flash, not slow sync flash. Slow sync flash is the general term for using your flash with a slightly longer exposure, also known as 'dragging the shutter'.
    Alamak typo...

Blog Entries

actually slow sync flash is the same as rear curtain sync flash except the flash goes off upon shutter open for slow sync flash
    and for rear curtain sync flash the flash goes off just before the shutter closes

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Flash_sync

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    actually slow sync flash is the same as rear curtain sync flash except the flash goes off upon shutter open for slow sync flash
    and for rear curtain sync flash the flash goes off just before the shutter closes

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Flash_sync
    So slow sync flash, in general, can also be referred to as first curtain sync flash/front sync flash?

Flash + Low ISO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    So slow sync flash, in general, can also be referred to as first curtain sync flash/front sync flash?
    technically, slow sync flash is flash used with a slow shutter speed
    it can be either front/1st curtain sync or rear/2nd curtain sync