Thread: Please recommend ...tripod, and flash

Default Please recommend ...tripod, and flash

I would like to add the following to my arsenal of cameras:

i) a good tripod. The "free" tripod that came with my cameras are light, but not steady, off balance (one leg always slips; two of these free tripod behaved similarly). Head for the camera is so tight that when I try to set focus, it's off target most of the time.
    ...Please recommend: not the top range, but medium range and good (easy to set tripod for shooting).

ii) a good flash, that I can use either on Nikon, Canon or Olympus. This is to save cost, so that I don't have to have 3 types of flash. Please recommend : not the top range, but medium range but good brand.

Thanks.

Default Re: Please recommend ...tripod, and flash

Quote Originally Posted by achanth View Post
    I would like to add the following to my arsenal of cameras:

i) a good tripod. The "free" tripod that came with my cameras are light, but not steady, off balance (one leg always slips; two of these free tripod behaved similarly). Head for the camera is so tight that when I try to set focus, it's off target most of the time.
    ...Please recommend: not the top range, but medium range and good (easy to set tripod for shooting).

ii) a good flash, that I can use either on Nikon, Canon or Olympus. This is to save cost, so that I don't have to have 3 types of flash. Please recommend : not the top range, but medium range but good brand.

Thanks.
    Wat's your budget on the tripod?

I'd suggest you consider a Manfrotto or Benro. Approx the range of say Manfrotto 190 series and a 486 or 488 ball head.

As for flash, you'd need to change the controller as each brand uses a different flash control system if you opt for a 3rd party flash such as Metz. But I'd reccomend that you choose one good one from one of the original makers.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

wow why on earth do you have 3 different brands?

the manfrotto 190 range and 486/488 head range would be good. the price for both tripod and head would be approximately 350.
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

u can try benro, they r not too ex. since u mention that your free tripod, everytime u lock the position but the positino always run off correct? then when u buy your tripod and the head pls check the weight of your camera and lens setup, dont get a head that support the weight of your setup nicely, alway give it more.

I had a giotto head that was rated at 3kg load, and my setup approx 2kg+. the ball head tend to shift a little even after i locked it down as the ball head is alittle too small. yes it can hold the camera position but still shift a little after i lock the tightening nut and lift my hands off the camera and tripod. now i am using a no brand replicated benro head which is able to hold 8kg which, now my camera position dont shift after i locked and hands off.

as for flash gun, there is no known flash unit that any brand camera can use less those simple manual flash, u cant escape the need to buy a brand dedicated flash, if you want ttl
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

Thanks for your input. I will check with Cathay today and see physically which one I need. I like to take photos at high zoom, and the current tripod is always difficult to set with the correct zoom target. Moreover, when I set it up, always one of the legs will retract, making it even more frustrating.

Looks like I need to do more searching for flash.

Thanks, guys.

Blog Entries

what you need to do is save save save
    and buy a better tripod as it will last you at least a decade (if you don't abuse it)

pardon me for asking but why do you own 3 systems?

With regard to your qns on flashes, i can tell you that a 3rd-party brand may not compliment a camera from another brand well.