Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6212629303132333641 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 620 of 1001

Thread: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

  1. #601
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    should be going home soon
    i am getting too old for this
    Hello...think I am older then you leh....so if I can still expect that kind of life at this job..I see my self doing this another 20-30 yrs...you need to "hunker down and grind with it" man heh.....

    also hey.... it could be worst....you could be sleeping at the office.

  2. #602
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Switch lines?

    Oh man ... all the over-nights and long-hauls of staying in the studio for days or weeks on end, going back on major pub hols, even working on Christmas and New Year, wedding anni, CNY eve ...

    My AD friend once spent an entire month staying in the office, but at least his Jap CD also stayed ... together, they brain-stormed every night at Studerbakers!
    That Jap CD better be a SHE then! heheheheh...and no I don't mean no brain dead XMM either!!!

  3. #603

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    That Jap CD better be a SHE then! heheheheh...and no I don't mean no brain dead XMM either!!!
    I'm not familiar with the scene now, but back then, I don't think you would ever find a female Jap CD around. You know, the glass ceiling thing ...

  4. #604
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Switch lines?

    Oh man ... all the over-nights and long-hauls of staying in the studio for days or weeks on end, going back on major pub hols, even working on Christmas and New Year, wedding anni, CNY eve ...

    My AD friend once spent an entire month staying in the office, but at least his Jap CD also stayed ... together, they brain-stormed every night at Studerbakers!
    Wah I remember in the early 80s with the AMIGA computer when I was doing some "basic" 3D animation modelling on the system. To do a 24bit single frame rendering was like a few hours and you need 24 frames to make one second worth of animation. I have to sleep under my computer desk and take regular peeps at the screen to see how far it got and if there was a glitch...cry man!! ...have to restart all over again heheh..ity would be days to put a simple animation onto U-matic and then edit for production.

  5. #605
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    I'm not familiar with the scene now, but back then, I don't think you would ever find a female Jap CD around. You know, the glass ceiling thing ...
    heheh.... finding even a asian MALE CD was almost next to impossible or a make believe one heheh...

  6. #606

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Wah I remember in the early 80s with the AMIGA computer when I was doing some "basic" 3D animation modelling on the system. To do a 24bit single frame rendering was like a few hours and you need 24 frames to make one second worth of animation. I have to sleep under my computer desk and take regular peeps at the screen to see how far it got and if there was a glitch...cry man!! ...have to restart all over again heheh..ity would be days to put a simple animation onto U-matic and then edit for production.
    We were smart. When we had to do any super intensive processes, if it was possible, we would execute it on multiple computers and then go for makan.

  7. #607

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    heheh.... finding even a asian MALE CD was almost next to impossible or a make believe one heheh...
    There were a few around. Not many, or not many that you hear of. The better ones went on to start their own agencies, or became partners of the biggies, or 'retire' from active agency life but still hold a director's position and get paid a humongous fee to do nothing.

  8. #608
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    We were smart. When we had to do any super intensive processes, if it was possible, we would execute it on multiple computers and then go for makan.
    Brudder in my days...a so called "souped up" Amiga with "4 mb of rams " already set you back more then 5,000 plus the animation s/w alone was like $6,000 and was on 5 3.5" diskettes!!! POWER man heheheheh

    So I only have two system and have to tie it to a frame recorded U-Matic recorder. So how to really set them up on mutli-system unless pocket very deep hehe.. I remember we were rejected by EDB to get fundings for buying one of the first Silicon Graphic computer ( $1.8 million) in stead they gave it to VHQ or what it was before it became Video Headquarters back then. I wonder how much difference my life and career would have been if we had gotten that grant as local singaporean guys. See skin colour and they open wallet to them more then us local creative guys. I might have stayed and go on to better animation stuff as an animator.
    Last edited by sammy888; 26th February 2009 at 01:49 AM.

  9. #609
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    There were a few around. Not many, or not many that you hear of. The better ones went on to start their own agencies, or became partners of the biggies, or 'retire' from active agency life but still hold a director's position and get paid a humongous fee to do nothing.
    heheh tat is what I mean about the old days...you have to be the owner of the agency to call yourself an CD...if you work for a US MNC Agency....good luck! heheh.... always playing second fiddles.

  10. #610

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Brudder in my days...a so called "souped up" Amiga with "4 mb of rams " already set you back more then 5,000 plus the animation s/w alone was like $6,000 and was on 5 3.5" diskettes!!! POWER man heheheheh

    So I only have two system and have to tie it to a frame recorded U-Matic recorder. So how to really set them up on mutli-system unless pocket very deep hehe.. I remember we were rejected by EDB to get fundings for buying one of the first Silicon Graphic computer ( $1.8 million) in stead they gave it to VHQ or what it was before it became Video Headquarters back then. I wonder how much difference my life and career would have been if we had gotten that grant as local singaporean guys. See skin colour and they open wallet to them more then us local creative guys. I might have stayed and go on to better animation stuff as an animator.
    Yup. Surprising isn't it?

    OMG! Silicon Gee and VHQ! Talk about old names man!

  11. #611

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    heheh tat is what I mean about the old days...you have to be the owner of the agency to call yourself an CD...if you work for a US MNC Agency....good luck! heheh.... always playing second fiddles.
    Yeah, but then, most agency owners were businessmen, and not CDs, but many secretly (and desperately) hungered for the title of ECD since they had to hire real CDs to do the job. Some titled themselvs such, BTW.

  12. #612
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Yup. Surprising isn't it?

    OMG! Silicon Gee and VHQ! Talk about old names man!
    ya...my era too. There were just starting out...can't recall that white dude's name now heheh my former biz partner knows him and we know he was wanting to start up a fully professional video production thingy in Singapore. So we thought we stood a chance since my partner was a local celebrity and have a established AV production and sound studio for radio commercials..etc. well I guess it is alot easier now. Kinda miss the scene man. Back then Gurmit was hanging about at our studio as a DJ still. Man...many of the old guards all gone liao heheh...

  13. #613
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Yeah, but then, most agency owners were businessmen, and not CDs, but many secretly (and desperately) hungered for the title of ECD since they had to hire real CDs to do the job. Some titled themselvs such, BTW.
    hahaha yalor yalor... I remember back then...I put my name card down as creative consultant and art director was hardcore enough..maybe company director ..but to use CD hehe.. I always get that funny feeling when a local guy gives me his name card and I see CD on it and he is a hair styler or some dinky local design studio in Middle road area ahahahah...

  14. #614

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    hahaha yalor yalor... I remember back then...I put my name card down as creative consultant and art director was hardcore enough..maybe company director ..but to use CD hehe.. I always get that funny feeling when a local guy gives me his name card and I see CD on it and he is a hair styler or some dinky local design studio in Middle road area ahahahah...
    faintz

  15. #615
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    heheh the "good old" days.....

  16. #616

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    heheh the "good old" days.....


    Dunno why this song came to mind immediately (though not connected)

  17. #617
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post


    Dunno why this song came to mind immediately (though not connected)
    wah...talk about timing...I used this for a video production for lady to do her hubby's birthday present which was a video of his life. Gave me 2 days to do it and loaded me with all the video and photos she had on her. Use that to begin and end the video.. I was like working non stop for 2 days and night to get it done and just a n hour after that hand it over to her. She loved it and we never settled on a payment to begin with so told her to pay me for what she feel is a good price for the work. heh.. 2 record turntables for mixing, went through tons of records and sound track and other visual aids, connected to a Computer for generating titling and computer animation effect and used 2 video recorders and one video cam to put it all together video and audio dubbing by myself. She handed me $2000. MOst money I ever made for less then 2 days work ...so it is funny how you brought up the one actual song that always without fail ties me to that period I was talking about and in my mind. oh ya...and 4 packets of smoke for company heheh.....
    Last edited by sammy888; 26th February 2009 at 02:55 AM.

  18. #618

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    wah...talk about timing...I used this for a video production for lady to do her hubby's birthday present which was a video of his life. Gave me 2 days to do it and loaded me with all the video and photos she had on her. Use that to begin and end the video.. I was like working non stop for 2 days and night to get it done and just a n hour after that hand it over to her. She loved it and we never settled on a payment to begin with so told her to pay me for what she feel is a good price for the work. heh.. 2 record turntables for mixing, went through tons of records and sound track and other visual aids, connected to a Computer for generating titling and computer animation effect and used 2 video recorders and one video cam to put it all together video and audio dubbing by myself. She handed me $2000. MOst money I ever made for less then 2 days work ...so it is funny how you brought up the one actual song that always without fail ties me to that period I was talking about and in my mind. oh ya...and 4 packets of smoke for company heheh.....
    Wow!

    That's quiet something!

    I guess sometimes you just get a certain vibe with certain songs or tunes...

    My ADs and CDs usually let me select the tracks/backgrounders for their commercials.

  19. #619
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Wow!

    That's quiet something!

    I guess sometimes you just get a certain vibe with certain songs or tunes...

    My ADs and CDs usually let me select the tracks/backgrounders for their commercials.
    heh well I had alot of fun with audio track laying and all that since I have a interest with music in my life and career. And as my partner was also the copyright owner of numerous sound tracks which is license out to Ad Agency, Audo Visual production companies..etc so I have a hell of a lot of soundtrack to play with plus since he also has a mobile disco business too so more tons of albums to choose from too. I have to say being a producer from concept to finish is fun. Sometime I wish I stay on with that but then again I was involve in so many creative interest and field I was spreading out too thin and have to choose. Sometime I feel I should have stick to being a creative more then a suit.

    The only one thing I normally would not do is copywriting heh.. Dyslexia and "word smithing" does not go too well heheh... I do know a good copy but I leave it to the professional. Some how I usually think copywriters makes or at least have a better path toward becoming a CD. You never took that path?

  20. #620
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Photoaid XXVI: Keep on Lubbing.. and Shooting!

    Wah...that 24th Feb2009 Obama speech to the Congress is something else!.. .... Just catching it on YouTube.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •