Thread: Does anyone get lens for their digital cam?

Default Does anyone get lens for their digital cam?

Hi all,

I just discovered that my Canon Powershot A60 can be fitted with telescope and wide-angle lens but the idea of fitting on those huge lens onto my rather small camera seems funny. My camera is only 2 megapixels, isit worth it? I've also not heard of anyone who buy digital lens to fix onto their digi cam. is this common? What other lens can i buy besides telescope and wide angle? Other factors that didnt really encourage me to invest is what if i switch to a convectional SLR camera next time and all my digi lens wont be able to use?

Anyone like to give any advice?

Regards,
    Tan

I guess to get those lens will really depends on individual needs... for eg. some of the more popular ones would be wide angle to capture more scenics, teleconvertor for extra zoom, macro lens for better close up shots etc....

Besides that, filters are also extremely popular among digi cams users, for protection of lens(UV filters, skylight etc), special effects(star, ND etc).

Of course all of the above have to come in relevant thread size of your camera adaptor. eg. my S602 has a step down from 55mm - 52mm adaptor (you need this to attach lens or filters) reason being 52mm are more widely available, so all lens and filters I own are of 52mm size.

I would recommend you to get at least a UV filter (+ an adaptor of course) as it is cheap and act as a "shield" for your vulnerable lens.

me relatively new in photography too
    hope it helps... hee

Default Re: Does anyone get lens for their digital cam?

Originally posted by ordinaryless
    Hi all,

I just discovered that my Canon Powershot A60 can be fitted with telescope and wide-angle lens but the idea of fitting on those huge lens onto my rather small camera seems funny. My camera is only 2 megapixels, isit worth it? I've also not heard of anyone who buy digital lens to fix onto their digi cam. is this common? What other lens can i buy besides telescope and wide angle? Other factors that didnt really encourage me to invest is what if i switch to a convectional SLR camera next time and all my digi lens wont be able to use?

Anyone like to give any advice?

Regards,
    Tan
    it is common to buy Teleconverters (or TC for short) and Wide Angle converters (or WA) for digital cameras.

Since most digital cameras do not have a very high optical zoom, mostly 3x optical only. adding a TC will extend the zoom range.

Most digital cameras have a wide of 38mm and it is not wide enough to cover landscapes and such.

Adding a wide angle will increase the angle of coverage and allow them to "get more objects" in the picture.

The TC and WA cannot be used on a SLR and can be costly depending on the brand. maybe a hundred over for a TC or WA is common. (Some SONY WA are like 3-4 hundreds)

I would rather use the money on a starter film SLR like a EOS 66 or F55, but then again it's up to individual preference.