Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

  1. #1

    Default are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    they are light and strong and expensive compared to the aluminium ones ?
    The aluminum ones are heavier and hence I think will be more stable, vis a vis the carbon fibre ones. In windy conditions, the carbon fibre, given it's light weight might not be as stable as the aluminium ones.
    If the camera is lens heavy, it is front heavy and a heavier tripod is needed to stablize it.
    So, is the carbon fibre tripod worth the expense ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    Lightweight and stiffness for a good traveling CF tripod. Why not

    Ryan

  3. #3

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    Definitely. The weight saved will make carrying it so much easier... especially when you go on holidays!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,304

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    Just the weight reduction alone is worth every penny. I had carried an aluminium tripod on a trip and sold it immediately after I got back. Most CF tripods have a hook on the center column for you to hang stuff. Use that to hang something heavy for added stability.
    RICOH GRD I / II / III / IV / GR / GXR

  5. #5
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    a nice heavy tripod in the storeroom
    is as good as snowshoes in sunny singapore

  6. #6

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    They are worth their weight (reduction) in GOLD.

    Get a gitzo and you're all set for life. I learnt that the hard way.

  7. #7

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    i am still slogging w a 055.

    recently bought a tripod bag. made carrything it around much easier.

    promised myself to change to CF when it spoils (something i doubt will ever happen in my lifetime).

    but i dun tink all CF are created equal. there are different grades eg, benro, manfrotto, gitzo.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    I guess it depends on how often you use a tripod. For me, for every 20 outings (w-i-d-e-l-y spaced apart), maybe only 1 time I bring my tripod out. Probably less than 5x a year. When I travel, it's my Canon G7 and a cheapo table-top tripod. So for me, the extra cost isn't worth it.

    But if your style of photography needs you to use a tripod often, then I say go for it.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  9. #9

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    My super-steady aluminum Manfrotto tripod makes great cloth hanger.

  10. #10

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    I'm using the aluminium Velbon Ultra Luxi L. Tall, light and stable. Of course, it isn't designed to take really heavy equipment. Suits my needs, but you'll really have to consider what suits you best.

  11. #11
    Senior Member egnaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boon Lay, Singapore
    Posts
    2,989

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    go for basalt material from Gitzo. it actually between Alu and CF in term of weight and price.

    This shd solve the problem. heehee
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,785

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    Quote Originally Posted by golfeak View Post
    Definitely. The weight saved will make carrying it so much easier... especially when you go on holidays!
    You bring your tripod on holidays? Wow.

  13. #13
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,841
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    You bring your tripod on holidays? Wow.
    heh.. some people do actually. this is where CF travel tripods come in.

    i just came back from sydney. it is not surprising to see people carrying their dry cabinet worth of equipment and tripods at the airport now during checkin.

    dat said, i dun even use my manfrotto 190b aluminum tripod enuf cos it is heavy to lug ard... but never had the need to buy a CF tripod. if one can justify the costs, it is worth it.
    Last edited by nightwolf75; 18th September 2008 at 09:42 AM.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  14. #14
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    You bring your tripod on holidays? Wow.
    There are actually quite a number of us who bring our tripods for holidays.
    It depends on individual shooting needs.

    For me i cannot imagine lugging a heavier tripod for all my trips.

    Ryan

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,304

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    You bring your tripod on holidays? Wow.
    Why not? I did once with an aluminium tripod and once with the new CF tripod. Now I am more willing to bring tripod on trips because of the lightweight of CF.
    RICOH GRD I / II / III / IV / GR / GXR

  16. #16

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    My carbon fiber tripod sees daylight only when I am on a trip. I got on of the lightest one around. That said, other than the weight, I don't see any differences. However when compared to my Manfrotto Neotec, which is an aluminum monster, the Neotec wins hands down in east of use, ergonomics, and stability.

    I love shooting with a tripod. I shoot with a tripod over 80% of the time. Most of the time, it's either the Neotec or the old Manfrotto, which is even sturdier. On trips where photography is the reason to go, the Neotec came with me, and when photography is not the reason, the lightweight carbon fiber tripod's turn.

    Weight is always a concern. At the end of the day, it's the total weight of all your gears, not just the weight of the tripod, that are stressing your back and everything else. So, it all depends on what is your priority.

    The reason I love the heavy Neotec is the ease of use. It's amazingly simple. Again, it's a trade off in priorities.
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 18th September 2008 at 01:47 PM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  17. #17

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    How much do you value your back?

  18. #18
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    I guess it depends on how often you use a tripod. For me, for every 20 outings (w-i-d-e-l-y spaced apart), maybe only 1 time I bring my tripod out. Probably less than 5x a year. When I travel, it's my Canon G7 and a cheapo table-top tripod. So for me, the extra cost isn't worth it.

    But if your style of photography needs you to use a tripod often, then I say go for it.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  19. #19

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    My super-steady aluminum Manfrotto tripod makes great cloth hanger.
    ha. ha... I like that. I agree if it's too heavy, it just becomes an ornament. However, the Gitzo is so $$$$$$....., heart is willing, but wallet is weak....

  20. #20

    Default Re: are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    My carbon fiber tripod sees daylight only when I am on a trip. I got on of the lightest one around. That said, other than the weight, I don't see any differences. However when compared to my Manfrotto Neotec, which is an aluminum monster, the Neotec wins hands down in east of use, ergonomics, and stability.

    I love shooting with a tripod. I shoot with a tripod over 80% of the time. Most of the time, it's either the Neotec or the old Manfrotto, which is even sturdier. On trips where photography is the reason to go, the Neotec came with me, and when photography is not the reason, the lightweight carbon fiber tripod's turn.

    Weight is always a concern. At the end of the day, it's the total weight of all your gears, not just the weight of the tripod, that are stressing your back and everything else. So, it all depends on what is your priority.

    The reason I love the heavy Neotec is the ease of use. It's amazingly simple. Again, it's a trade off in priorities.
    I agree with the overall weight concept. Have to take into account the camera body, lenses, maybe flash, extra batteries, and then the tripod plus the head. If the tripod weighs 2kg, it's going to be a strain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •