Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the future of photography?

Default Re: What is the future of photography?

Quote Originally Posted by k9sparx View Post
    "Any Tom, Dick or Harry with a camera can take great photos, why hire a expensive photographer who gives you the same quality of work?" ] Don't agree. Not any TDH will do. One needs passion and dedication.

[The availability of many "free" freelance photographers (may not be professional) in the market also drive the cost of hiring a photographer down.Will it become only a hobby in the future or will there still be room for the market of professional photographers to grow?
    As in any industries, he who does things differently win the day. Cheap has no end. One has to find one's niche.

Professional photographers will be redundant as anyone can do their job.
    well.. if technology can be that good to replace professional photographers. i guess technology would have been advanced to a stage where it can replace engineers, doctors, lawyers, and humans would have been enslaved by technology.

personally. i find this quote funny.

words like "Redundant" and "Anyone"

personally.... really. if ANYONE can do it. why hasn't anyone replaced people like picasso with their art ? since technology is so advanced at present stage to have eliminated almost majority of the traditional artists in the world ?

I mean in the future... where technology reach a point that anyone can do that.

i hope i can live that long to see that happen. cause i would love to see anyone shoot and command $1000/hr and create heart stopping action , tear dropping moments and proud moments that last a lifetime.

I agree with you on this point. Its hard to make a comparison now as what i am indicating is technology in the future with unknown powers. Having the eye is surely an advantage, a indication that you are a photography, but is that all? Please enlighten me.
    having an eye for photography is given talent. it takes skills and knowledge and a passion and appreciation of not only the Arts, but photography itself.

Whats the purpose of loving photography, but just cant love the sophistication of Arts ?

and to appreciate photography as an artform, and to appreciate photography for the sake of commercial reasons is 2 totally different issues.

you question what future beholds photography with its rapid advancement in imaging technology. but do you have an answer or even a general perspective of your answer ?

The availability of many "free" freelance photographers (may not be professional) in the market also drive the cost of hiring a photographer down.
    it has happened, and it is happening now as we speak. but can we do anything about it ?

NO..

because technology has made dslr affordable, and any ah kow ah lian can own a dslr and go out and self proclaim.

but really. if such an problem can be contained and solved. i guess it would have happened long ago. why now ?

free photographers are everywhere. but lets put it this way. everyone need to have a starting point, and most would eventually start charging when they start to feel that their time and effort could be converted into something more useful for the benefit of themselves.

even when the camera can do all the proper adjustments for exposure... there are many factors left....

composition cant be learnt or replaced with technology.

technology moves fast, but how many here can use the technology to their advantage? no point telling a noob to achieve a Pro sport's shooter's image because the pro sport shooter will have experience, anticipation and other small tricks and knacks, small, untangible, but these ARE the important differences.

not to mention the noob might not even know how to utilise the camera( i didnt know how to operate the 1dMK2 menu layout the first time i got it)

tech replace man? not really, the art factor is just increasing in importance with every new break through that is starting to render the technical aspect obsolete.

cheers and happy shooting

There's a saying to this issue: "Never give you good things you complain. Now we give you good things still complain. Haiyaahhh.... how like that?"

The future of photography will be ocular implants, where you record exactly what you see with your normal eyes. Then later on you'll get to swap your eye with something more advanced like say a 70-300mm lens. What say you? =p My eye doesn't have enough DR!

Wow... What a nice and long reply!! In general, I just feel that photography may have a very bleak future due to technology advancement. Professional photographers will be redundant as anyone can do their job. Even if camera's are not that up to date, photoshop can do the rest that is if you have the skill. Photo editing softwares may reach a point where you do not even have to have the skills. You state that professional photographers in jobs such as reporters,etc. My point here is that they are not needed as cameras can do the what they can do.
    Sound like a primary school kid telling everyone, "I have a computer and able to access to internet, I have find all the knowledge in the world, why should I go to school? now schools can close down, since I don't need it anymore."
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Seriously, you look at the standard of pictures on ClubSnap, you might think they are quite good. But go to a real famous top class photog's exhibition and you'll realise that everyone here is just tiny prawns in comparison. Yet the people on CS make the average person on the street even more tiny prawns.

Hence, the future of photography is similar to any hobby or activity which used to have high start up costs but is now easy to gain access to. Ie a lot more hobbyists.
    Research Institute for Unicultural Visual Arts - Riuva.com

The future is bright.......
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

I am not replying to any comment but would like to view from another angle of photography. Some classic professionals said that they liked to keep traditions and hence maintained the value. I would like to bring Architecture profession as an example. Many years back, most architects said that they must keep all traditional methods to work on projects. It is to remain its own proud of profressional. They sketched the drawing of building design by hand and kept all hardcopy of drawing for work. But, today with computer graphic technology, they know that they cannot keep their proud of tradition and use hand-drawing anymore. Similar for photography professionals, all must accept the change and produce the modern ways of professional. I can give examples of today's photographers. They shoot, view and show their photos on the spot to their clients. If not satisfied, shoot again right away without another day of waiting processing. It is the value of Digital Photography today.

In summary, accept the change of environment and find ways to move on for modern professionals.

By the way, I am not pro.

I agree with you on this point. Its hard to make a comparison now as what i am indicating is technology in the future with unknown powers. Having the eye is surely an advantage, a indication that you are a photography, but is that all? Please enlighten me.
    I know what you mean... I know many friends who don't even need a camera! Its amazing what they can do with just Photoshop!

BUT!

No matter how advance the technology becomes, no matter how "Smile Friendly" the cameras get! It will never be able to match a personal judgment / timing to shoot and be creative at the same time!

Not any one can do the job! I have been shooting for the past 5 years with Digital / film but still cannot dare to shoot an Event on my own! Not even my brother's wedding

Simply put, agree with others 100%, and 100% disagree with your statement "Any body can do their job"

Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post

“As of now, photography can be considered into two aspects, as a job or a hobby.(or both) rapid advancements in technology”

Alike any activities birthed ages ago, evolution takes place. We see sporting events grow from pure recreation to careers along the years-how soccer derived as a form of leisure to a profit-driven business. So it is undeniable that the distinct line between these two aspects is seemingly blurred. We have to understand that most or even all who crossed over to making this sport a professional career derived from the passion and zest for the sport in the first place.

“The value of a photographer may drop as everyone finds it so easy to shoot.”

Having said that, do you think with the advancements in technology or in this case of exposure and incentives for sporting talents, everyone will be a soccer star? Or everyone will have the outstanding talent to break thru to be the next Pele? Okay, I shall not digress.
    Easy to shoot does not equate to having ease in producing a quality portfolio. That theory you made is very vague. There’s so much more to both the technicalities and artistry/conceptualism to photography than just spot-on exposures. I suggest you expose yourself more to various kinds of photography to really immerse yourself to the wonders and limitless of photography.Likewise, not everyone who finds it so easy to snap will have the interest to render their services. Camwh*r*s, anyone?( is that allowed here? :/)

"Any Tom, Dick or Harry with a camera can take great photos, why hire a expensive photographer who gives you the same quality of work?" Even without a great camera or the necessary skills, photoshop will enable a person to manipulate the photo until it becomes "prefect".

I don’t see Tom Cruise, Dick Cheney or Harry Potter have any interest in photography as of now. Perhaps, they will once they pick up a camera, enthralled by the ease to shoot and decide to become the paparazzi themselves. Fine fine, lame but can’t blame me, the “lame aura” commenced as soon as the thread began. HOHO, no offense mate! Moving on, you contradicted yourself there, mister. Photoshopping is a skill, at least I believe so.
    Next, I don’t think any of my photographs want to be “prefects”, that’s some tough responsibility. Okay, I’m mean. To some extent, post processing helps to enhance the image but like the countless discussions we had on this, it is not unlawful to do so and to each his own I guess. I recently sparked a heated, I mean healthy discussion on this notion so perhaps I’ll direct you there (click here) since I’m one of those guilty of post-processing addiction.

Hmm, I can’t seem to recall clinching the perfect result, cause sadly, friend, perfectness is non-existent.

“The availability of many "free" freelance photographers (may not be professional) in the market also drive the cost of hiring a photographer down.”

I don’t see why freelance photographers want to offer free services for the rest of their lives and I don’t see how this will decrease the cost of hiring a photographer. Perhaps, you thought with higher quantity of supply, price of supply will drop since everyone will be waging price wars and slash down prices of their services. This is theoretically correct to a limited extent but
    we have to note the elasticity of the demand and supply factors.
    Do people trust or want free freelance photographer for their lavish weddings and ministrial affairs?Maybe we should hire free freelance photographers for the upcoming F1! Is the hoard of supplies superior enough to influence a change in taste and preferences?
    Customer sovereignty/loyalty is essential in business. If you have established a reputable position in the business, I don’t see how these incumbents will deter you from making profits. More so, setting the price based on the quality results you produced is the right thing to do. I also believe in the notion of luck. Sometimes if you don’t get scouted or be exposed, you don’t get the deal. Getting into the scene means you have to prove yourself over and over again. Top-notch magazines and publications won’t hire a Tom, Dick & Harry just because they offer free services. Just because you are a decent looking model who offers free runway services does not mean Vera Wang would want you to model her outfit.

“Will it become only a hobby in the future or will there still be room for the market of professional photographers to grow?”

I don’t understand why you question if photography has the probability to be purely a hobby after you rant on how everyone is going or have the potential to be professional someday. If services are rendered whether free or not, I personally would not see that as a hobby. I find it virtually impossible for photography to revert back to being just a hobby. Photography is a form of hobby, but it is not just confined to being a hobby. Think photojournalists, reporters and forensics! There is a room for everything, so there will definitely be one vast space for professional photographers to stretch their horizons.

Okay, thats fun! Just dropping my 72 cents!

im still with my stand, dear TS. ponder on

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    it has happened, and it is happening now as we speak. but can we do anything about it ?

NO..

because technology has made dslr affordable, and any ah kow ah lian can own a dslr and go out and self proclaim.

but really. if such an problem can be contained and solved. i guess it would have happened long ago. why now ?

free photographers are everywhere. but lets put it this way. everyone need to have a starting point, and most would eventually start charging when they start to feel that their time and effort could be converted into something more useful for the benefit of themselves.

Wow... What a nice and long reply!! In general, I just feel that photography may have a very bleak future due to technology advancement. Professional photographers will be redundant as anyone can do their job. Even if camera's are not that up to date, photoshop can do the rest that is if you have the skill. Photo editing softwares may reach a point where you do not even have to have the skills. You state that professional photographers in jobs such as reporters,etc. My point here is that they are not needed as cameras can do the what they can do.
    I mean in the future... where technology reach a point that anyone can do that.
    the future of photography bleak............

if everybody only need to take one photo in their life, during when there are still in baby, so all they need to do is photoshop everything from kindergarten class photo to IC making to graduation photo to 21st birthday party to wedding photo to family photo to 70th birthday dinner untill sumit IC and up the lorry.

or everybody are very happy with thier photos taken by any ah huay ah lian ah beng ah seng.... that including those photos you see in magazine and newpaper, advertisments on the road, TV, movies, also including your Nikon or Canon camera catalogue.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by gregsz View Post
    I am not replying to any comment but would like to view from another angle of photography. Some classic professionals said that they liked to keep traditions and hence maintained the value. I would like to bring Architecture profession as an example. Many years back, most architects said that they must keep all traditional methods to work on projects. It is to remain its own proud of profressional. They sketched the drawing of building design by hand and kept all hardcopy of drawing for work. But, today with computer graphic technology, they know that they cannot keep their proud of tradition and use hand-drawing anymore. Similar for photography professionals, all must accept the change and produce the modern ways of professional. I can give examples of today's photographers. They shoot, view and show their photos on the spot to their clients. If not satisfied, shoot again right away without another day of waiting processing. It is the value of Digital Photography today.

In summary, accept the change of environment and find ways to move on for modern professionals.

By the way, I am not pro.
    Since you mentioned architecture......

You know, I used to think like you do in uni. Being educated in an technology savvy environment, I'm used to think that clutch pencils and t-squares were things of the past...... until I started working. You can drop 30k on a rendered perspective but if the client doesn't get it, he's not going to wait for another 3 days for you to generate another perspective for him. This is where effective sketching skills comes in useful and that's a life saver time and again. If you could sketch out another perspective within 10 mins, your chances of getting the job done is instantly increased many folds because there and then, you proved that you can provide what the clients needed. Never under estimate the potential of manual drawings even if 99% of the work are done with computers. You don't know when your life is going to depend on it.

By the way, I'm a practising architect and a working photographer.

he totally went mia.. prolly went to change register a new name after getting so many rebuking...
    Canon - Exhilaration Of Sight 450

Well, as long as he learnt something......

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisN View Post
    IMO, photography is an Art. a professional photographer is an Artist.

80% of my friends own a camera (including dslr, etc), but I'll still 'invite' an 'artist' for my wedding (someday, hopefully).
    So true my friend

As I mentioned, I have been shooting for many years but we got a Pro to shoot my brother's wedding

Thanks everyone for their input though alot of rebuking here and there but at least I know more about what you guys feel about photography.

Seems like technology will never get rid of photography. Maybe I can make it my job in the future? Well, lets see..... ....

the future of photography is exciting!

i foresee that one day in the not too distant future ALL digital cameras , including DSLRs and p&s, will be at least 12mp, full frame sensor, live view, image stabilised, can shoot HD video, and can shoot up to iso 12800 cleanly. with a wallet friendly price tag to match.

all this means is that everyone can soon get their hands on very good photographic equipment.

but, it does not mean that technology can replace the photographer's skill.

the realm of artificial intelligence is progressing, but very slowly in terms of replicating human creativity. we can successfully program a computer to beat the human world chess champion, but we cannot yet program a computer to create the music of bach, the art of van gogh, the sonnets of shakespeare, or even the adventures of harry potter.

why is this so? i believe it is simply because the computer, and technology, has no soul, no emotion, and no passion: three ingredients essential to the creative and artistic process.

maybe ken rockwell was right after all: your camera doesn't matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12