Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: It takes all sorts...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    437

    Default It takes all sorts...

    I've been a member here with the Clubsnap community for a few years now. Not a long time, but in that time I've had the chance to learn from some of the rest here at CS who are willing to share their skills and insights into photography, as well as get some advice about equipment.

    I've also had the many occasions to sell off some equipment I no longer wanted - which was useful as I could trade up.

    Over the course of years I've met many 'gentlemen' but today was not such a day.

    I spotted an ad yesterday for someone who wanted to buy a Nikon D300 - goes by the name designer***** and I answered his post through a PM. He responded almost immediately, and after many SMS's he agreed to buy my D300 at the stated price. We were to meet today at 5pm originally.

    He contacted me again today, and we agreed on a 4pm time instead. He said that his girlfriend was going to be present, and he had told his GF that he was going to pay me a lower price (1.75k), and said he would meet me in the toilet to settle the difference of $100. So I agreed to his little plan to hide the real figure from his GF.

    At ten mins to 4pm (the arranged time) I get an SMS saying "sorry... but he got a better offer... that he had to take up". I replied by saying how lame he was if that was how he operates... good luck to him! I was almost there... well that's life - it takes all sorts!


    Thankfully I have not had the opportunity to meet many like him - of course poor guy had his equipment stolen recently, or so it says in his post. Well I guess what goes around comes around... no wonder he lost his stuff - when a person's word is not their bond... and honesty (to the people around you) doesn't count for much....

    I'm not sure what he got in the end - but if birds of a feather flock together then by some stroke of luck he may have met some guy with the same integrity (or lack of) and he might have got lucky with the cheaper buy...

    On hindsight I'm glad we didn't deal... he doesn't desserve my camera at any price... I'd far rather sell my stuff to a gentleman at a lower price than someone like him....

    joe
    Last edited by JoePro; 16th September 2008 at 11:39 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    behind my camera
    Posts
    2,734

    Default Re: It takes all sorts...

    Just by suggesting to you about concealing the actual selling price from his gf already goes to show how much integrity he has got. That will certainly sound an alert in me and I would be hesitant to deal with such person.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: It takes all sorts...

    yeah I guess you're right... if this guy is willing to lie to his GF (for 100 bucks) then he can't be too straight a guy...

  4. #4

    Default Re: It takes all sorts...

    That's the unpredictability of transacting through the internet now. You meet some good buyers/sellers and of course you'll encounter some nasty ones.

    Thanks for bringing that up though, good luck in your sale!

  5. #5

    Default Re: It takes all sorts...

    Discovering Clubsnap earlier this year was a heaven sent. I have to admit to being a bit of an impulse buyer and the marketplace at Clubsnap has allowed me to trim my burgeoning collection which in turn has facilitated upgrading my gear. Like you, my experience so far has been very pleasant with genuine buyers turning up as scheduled and transacting over a cup of coffee/tea and a pleasant chat on a common topic - photography.

    However there were a couple of exceptions when it became quite apparent to me that the buyers were bottom feeders with little intention to transact at the agreed price. Usual tactic is to disparage the item being sold. Very unpleasant and a waste of time.

    I've taken an approach which seems to work to weed out such bottom feeders. First, I'd give as thorough a description of the item for sale - warts and all, listing out any scratches, dinks, spots, signs of wear etc etc if there are any. Second, I will make it quite clear up front but politely, to people who respond that I won't entertain bargaining and that I will take their best offer and get back to them after a week or two if its the nearest to my asking price. I have found that knowing this, in most cases, bottom feeders will back off ie won't make an offer. Or they won't respond at all when they are informed that their offer has been accepted. This is fine with me as I won't have to waste any further time with them.

    Looking forward to more dealings on this forum's marketplace.
    Last edited by Alliance; 17th September 2008 at 10:20 AM.

  6. #6
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: It takes all sorts...

    i adopt roughly the same tactic as you

  7. #7

    Default Re: It takes all sorts...

    A lot of funny ppl. as the chinese says...one type of rice feeding many kinds of ppl.

    Dun take it too hard. I believe we will meet these ppl sooner or later.

    This happen many years ago: (So now meet at my place or somewhere on my way, no special trip only if i am the buyer)
    I met some who make me wait and did bother to sms when not coming at all. I called 30min later to know he have better offer and will not turn up only if i sell him a bit cheaper than what the other seller offer him. in the end have to carry the lens as i go shopping.

    Side track a bit: (i cannot remember word by word in the SMS...roughly is like that)

    A guy PM to buy a bag (asking for $10) with Hp no.

    So i sms him:
    " Bro $10 for the bag and bundle a bit low leh. Die die must $10 for everything meh. Can $10 for the bag if $10 for bag and bundle i cannot. Anyway thanks for viewing the thread."

    So he reply me:
    "Not interested to buy"

    So i SMS:
    Not interested why PM me?

    He reply:
    When PM you interested but see your SMS not interested. I not die die one. $10 for the bag not a lot. What i dun like is you attitude (mean i said die die) and rude.

    So i reply Him:
    Die die is a local slang (In Teo Chew: Die Die). I dun see i have a attitude here. I have explained myself. If you still think i rude suits you.

    So you see some ppl have different way of seeing thing (Maybe my fault of sms style, too teo chew). To seller is ok but buyer think otherwise. To buyer ok to go for cheaper source and fly you kite (of course not nice to do that if seller come all the way to meet you).

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: It takes all sorts...

    Thanks Alliance for the advice - will take heed.

    Mine was kinda unusual as I am normally selling - in this case he was buying and I responded.

    Price and all agreed - condtion was mint as described but he backed out for whatever reason ten mins prior to meeting, after less than 1.5 hours earlier contacting me to confirm our sale/meet. Which was agreed the day before (also by him)

    Clubsnap is great!


    Quote Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
    Discovering Clubsnap earlier this year was a heaven sent. I have to admit to being a bit of an impulse buyer and the marketplace at Clubsnap has allowed me to trim my burgeoning collection which in turn has facilitated upgrading my gear. Like you, my experience so far has been very pleasant with genuine buyers turning up as scheduled and transacting over a cup of coffee/tea and a pleasant chat on a common topic - photography.

    However there were a couple of exceptions when it became quite apparent to me that the buyers were bottom feeders with little intention to transact at the agreed price. Usual tactic is to disparage the item being sold. Very unpleasant and a waste of time.

    I've taken an approach which seems to work to weed out such bottom feeders. First, I'd give as thorough a description of the item for sale - warts and all, listing out any scratches, dinks, spots, signs of wear etc etc if there are any. Second, I will make it quite clear up front but politely, to people who respond that I won't entertain bargaining and that I will take their best offer and get back to them after a week or two if its the nearest to my asking price. I have found that knowing this, in most cases, bottom feeders will back off ie won't make an offer. Or they won't respond at all when they are informed that their offer has been accepted. This is fine with me as I won't have to waste any further time with them.

    Looking forward to more dealings on this forum's marketplace.

  9. #9

    Default Re: It takes all sorts...

    bro no offence ah, i know you didn't mean it when you replied to the guy but "die die" sometimes really can be read in the wrong way..people can take it that you're implying they're hard up and desperate...which in this case is not what you meant...very hard to express ourselves properly over the internet without the context of body language and voice tones....best solution is to type formally and well...tactfully

    Quote Originally Posted by paesyl View Post
    A lot of funny ppl. as the chinese says...one type of rice feeding many kinds of ppl.

    Dun take it too hard. I believe we will meet these ppl sooner or later.

    This happen many years ago: (So now meet at my place or somewhere on my way, no special trip only if i am the buyer)
    I met some who make me wait and did bother to sms when not coming at all. I called 30min later to know he have better offer and will not turn up only if i sell him a bit cheaper than what the other seller offer him. in the end have to carry the lens as i go shopping.

    Side track a bit: (i cannot remember word by word in the SMS...roughly is like that)

    A guy PM to buy a bag (asking for $10) with Hp no.

    So i sms him:
    " Bro $10 for the bag and bundle a bit low leh. Die die must $10 for everything meh. Can $10 for the bag if $10 for bag and bundle i cannot. Anyway thanks for viewing the thread."

    So he reply me:
    "Not interested to buy"

    So i SMS:
    Not interested why PM me?

    He reply:
    When PM you interested but see your SMS not interested. I not die die one. $10 for the bag not a lot. What i dun like is you attitude (mean i said die die) and rude.

    So i reply Him:
    Die die is a local slang (In Teo Chew: Die Die). I dun see i have a attitude here. I have explained myself. If you still think i rude suits you.

    So you see some ppl have different way of seeing thing (Maybe my fault of sms style, too teo chew). To seller is ok but buyer think otherwise. To buyer ok to go for cheaper source and fly you kite (of course not nice to do that if seller come all the way to meet you).

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: It takes all sorts...

    be careful, some of these "fly kite" ppl are from hwz i suspect.
    normally i prefer not to deal with single or double digit posters.
    just a search of their post count can tell you that they may be here to do b&s only.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 17th September 2008 at 09:19 PM.

  11. #11
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    north
    Posts
    1,178

    Default Re: It takes all sorts...

    Quote Originally Posted by ray_stinger View Post
    Just by suggesting to you about concealing the actual selling price from his gf already goes to show how much integrity he has got. That will certainly sound an alert in me and I would be hesitant to deal with such person.
    i thought hiding the figures from his gf was quite sweet. maybe she wants to get it not him? well, i had one guy jim** who bargain like mad with me for my 1870 and we confirm deal tmr but today he sms me say he got a better deal and bye bye!! :S Sh*t happens i also suck thumb. nothing much we can do. if it was you i guess you be tempted by the cheaper price too maybe.

    not defending him or anything but just feel such things do happen. take it with a pinch of salt yeah?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •