Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to use a CPL Filter?

Default how to use a CPL Filter?

i understand that a CPL Filter has a head that is able to rotate. may i ask what effect does the rotation create?

i also know that a CPL filter does do away with unwanted reflections when shooting @ reflective surfaces and it does gives some shots greater saturation. how do i acheive that?

and the most important question of all, HOW TO USE?

Default Re: how to use a CPL Filter?

Google is your best friend. Buy a CPL filter and learn.
    The best things in life are free.

Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    Google is your best friend. Buy a CPL filter and learn.
    ok, google helps. regarding buying and it learn, i will consider that if i am rich enough. i dont own any money printer fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    ok, google helps. regarding buying and it learn, i will consider that if i am rich enough. i dont own any money printer fyi.
    actually...its not that expensive anyway

Actually dun really have to read from anywhere. Put on one, go to an open space and turn to see it's effect on the sky. You will see that the tone of the blue will change. The effect is stronger if the sun is 90 on your side. Same procedure for reflective surface, though the 90 has no effect on reflective surface.

Deregistered

My CPL filter rotate 1/4 round it change from one extreme to the other, and the expose time will also take longer. see the differences of each pic.

this advice will probably help you the most

" give a man fish, he will survive for 3 days. teach a man how to fish, and he survives for life."
    (until the fish run out, anyways)

learning how to discover photography for yourself, when it can be done - makes the experience a lot more profound and interesting and personalised than just whacking the question out on the internet and waiting for a shovelling of information down your throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    ya, this is helpful to me. thanks for your help.!!

Quote Originally Posted by andylausk View Post
    My CPL filter rotate 1/4 round it change from one extreme to the other, and the expose time will also take longer. see the differences of each pic.

ok, i roughly get it. perhaps i should rent it 1st before buying it. but i read that it's a strongly recommended filter for landscape shooters. thanks for helping!

Quote Originally Posted by KY1977 View Post
    Actually dun really have to read from anywhere. Put on one, go to an open space and turn to see it's effect on the sky. You will see that the tone of the blue will change. The effect is stronger if the sun is 90 on your side. Same procedure for reflective surface, though the 90 has no effect on reflective surface.
    ok, i shall figure it out after i rented 1. now i roughly get teh theory so now must try practical le. thanks thanks!!

rent? are you sure? i rather you get one cheap one at the classified section to try out.

Not sure if people actually rent out CPL filters... but if you're really insistent on not buying one yet, you could see if anyone around you has a pair of polaroid sunglasses. You can see the same effects as using a CPL filter by looking through the sunglasses and rotating them around (don't put them on).

Quickest test to see if the sunglasses (or anything else) has polarising effects: look at any LCD display (a digital watch will do) through the sunglasses. If the LCD display darkens when you rotate the display or the sunglasses, you have a polariser.

ok, i roughly get it. perhaps i should rent it 1st before buying it. but i read that it's a strongly recommended filter for landscape shooters. thanks for helping!
    The difference is quite prominent. Look at the water.

Just go ahead and buy one if you shoot landscape (no use for macro/model shoots). It's not expensive.
    | Canong 480D mk II | EF 18-55mm LV mk XOXO marco + Bougainvillea-shaped hood |

Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    Not sure if people actually rent out CPL filters... but if you're really insistent on not buying one yet, you could see if anyone around you has a pair of polaroid sunglasses. You can see the same effects as using a CPL filter by looking through the sunglasses and rotating them around (don't put them on).

Quickest test to see if the sunglasses (or anything else) has polarising effects: look at any LCD display (a digital watch will do) through the sunglasses. If the LCD display darkens when you rotate the display or the sunglasses, you have a polariser.
    Which brings up a good point - don't wear your polarized sunglasses when shooting with a CP. Actually should be avoided even when you're not using CP, but my eyes are bad enough without further abuse from bright sunlight.

I sometimes try to quickly determine of CP when wearing my sunglasses by twisting my head to see the difference. I get a lot of strange stares.

Another thing you may or may not find on Google : if shooting rainbows, try it without CP (it makes them fainter).

While on the subject of CPs, can I hijack the thread for a little while? Can someone tell me if there's any disadvantage to using a slim CP over a regular one, other than higher price, lack of front threads and inability to use regular lens cap? I'm specifically looking at the B+W MRC CPs, and want to know if there's any disadvantage to using a slim CP on a standard zoom or long telephoto. I googled but could not find much info (some guy asked the same question but did not get much of an answer). TIA.
    Last edited by lennyl; 18th September 2008 at 03:36 AM.

So a CPL is essentially a polarizing filter?

Ooh, I learn something new everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by arktos88 View Post
    So a CPL is essentially a polarizing filter?

Ooh, I learn something new everyday!
    CPL stands for Circular Polariser

Quote Originally Posted by ngck12 View Post
    rent? are you sure? i rather you get one cheap one at the classified section to try out.
    there is 1 CSer here that provides rental services mah. then he also rent out CPL filter so i think when i rent lens from him then i tk together lor.

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    Which brings up a good point - don't wear your polarized sunglasses when shooting with a CP. Actually should be avoided even when you're not using CP, but my eyes are bad enough without further abuse from bright sunlight.

I sometimes try to quickly determine of CP when wearing my sunglasses by twisting my head to see the difference. I get a lot of strange stares.

Another thing you may or may not find on Google : if shooting rainbows, try it without CP (it makes them fainter).

While on the subject of CPs, can I hijack the thread for a little while? Can someone tell me if there's any disadvantage to using a slim CP over a regular one, other than higher price, lack of front threads and inability to use regular lens cap? I'm specifically looking at the B+W MRC CPs, and want to know if there's any disadvantage to using a slim CP on a standard zoom or long telephoto. I googled but could not find much info (some guy asked the same question but did not get much of an answer). TIA.
    ya cool, this is something i wish to know too. from what i know i think a standard thickness CPL filter wil not cause vignetting if focal length is >24mm right?

a B+W slim is ex sia, almost 200. lolx.

ya cool, this is something i wish to know too. from what i know i think a standard thickness CPL filter wil not cause vignetting if focal length is >24mm right?

a B+W slim is ex sia, almost 200. lolx.
    Yeah, using a slim is not necessary for longer focal lengths, but wonder if there's any downside.

Check out the price for Heliopan - makes B+W look cheap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast