Thread: Is it worth it?

Default Is it worth it?

Hi all - Would appreciate some advise to my dilemma?

I have a F801 body, 70-210mm/4-5.6 and 35-70mm/3.3-4.5 lens from a long time back.

Sent them in to Nikon for servicing and they are quoting me as follow for servicing and repairs: -

F801 - $235
    70-210 - $185
    35-70 - $40

This adds up to a hefty $478 with GST.

I am not familiar with the market price of new SLRs in the market today. But do you think it is worth it to perform the repairs above? Or am I better off buying a new low/medium range SLR?

Thanks in Advance!
    Last edited by Nutcase; 1st August 2003 at 04:43 PM.

try getting another quote from TCW... the prices seem a little steep, which is typical for Nikon.

Hi,

The F801 is a nifty camera, usually goes for about $400+ in the used market. I wouldn't spend the equivalent amount of money on lower end bodies because they generally don't measure up to the F801 in terms of ease of handling.

It's worthwhile to get a quote from TCW. btw, you did not mention what are the problems with your gear? or did you send it in for general cleaning?

regards

Thanks for the helpful feedback Larry + kh_drew! Think I will get both back from Nikon and get a second quote from TCW.

Yes - I like the 801 - had it for the last 15 years almost. The 801 had some corrosion problems in the the batt contact and the on/off switch. They quoted $90 for the service charge and $140 for the parts...

The 70-210 had bad fungus prob so they were gonna replace the 3rd element group.

35-70 only servicing.

Too bad - I kinda like the 70-210 wuite versatile - albeit a slow lens...but all had sentimental value - heh heh

There is a used 70-210 f/4 going for about $400 at TCW. Looks like $185 is quite a reasonable price. Let's hope you get your gear in shape and start shooting again!

regards