Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: My first night photography

  1. #1
    Senior Member jtsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    2,079

    Default My first night photography

    Hi,
    This is my first night photo, took during the mid-autumn festival with beautiful full moon. The exposure used : f11, 15sec, ISO400. Please comment on the shutter speed I used and the composition. Thanks for your time.

    Last edited by jtsky; 15th September 2008 at 09:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Member luntut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    1,883

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Quote Originally Posted by jtsky View Post
    Hi,
    This is my first night photo, took during the mid-autumn festival with beautiful full moon. The exposure used : f11, 15sec, ISO400. Please comment on the timing I used and the composition. Thanks for your time.


    ISO try setting to 100 or 200, drop your aperture size, and increase exposure. i get much better quality picts with my ISO set to 100 at night.

    still got quite a bit of noise in the sky, and the HDB lights are quite distractingly bright.

    play around with the settings more.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

  3. #3
    Senior Member jtsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    2,079

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Thanks, Took one at ISO100, f22, 120secs. The building looks better, but the moon don't turn out not as nice as this one, a bit fuzzy, don't know why?
    Last edited by jtsky; 15th September 2008 at 09:53 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: My first night photography

    The earth is rotating and the moon is also moving
    Last edited by Magix88; 15th September 2008 at 10:10 PM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Magix88 View Post
    The moon is moving
    the earth rotates too. haha
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

  6. #6
    Senior Member jtsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    2,079

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Ya hor, forgot le. So what is the best shutter speed for this photo?

  7. #7

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Maybe you can refer to my posts in Night Photography; My Moon Collections - I've uploaded a few yesterday and today
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

  8. #8
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Quote Originally Posted by jtsky View Post
    Hi,
    This is my first night photo, took during the mid-autumn festival with beautiful full moon. The exposure used : f11, 15sec, ISO400. Please comment on the shutter speed I used and the composition. Thanks for your time.
    You could try playing with custom WB to get a less warm shot, no harm experimenting
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  9. #9
    Senior Member jtsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    2,079

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Quote Originally Posted by cheguthamrin View Post
    Maybe you can refer to my posts in Night Photography; My Moon Collections - I've uploaded a few yesterday and today
    Your pictures are beautiful, do you use any filter for the HDB and moon shot. The moon looks nice and yet the building is not underexpose. Can share with me more detail, thanks

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Shooting at f/22 will generally give you a bit of fuzziness due to diffraction. For most 1.6x crop cameras, diffraction sets in at beyond f/16, so that really is the limit.

    I'd shoot at f/11. It gives more than sufficient DOF. Unless you are purposely going for a long exposure, then stop down further.

    Here there's actually a bit of overexposure. You can afford to bump your exposure down by about 2/3-stop and still get a good result, without the buildings being disturbingly bright.

    What tripod are you using..there still seems to be a hint of softness due to very minute camera shake...

  11. #11
    Senior Member jtsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    2,079

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Thanks calebk. I am using Benro A250. Will try again tonight. Think considering getting a remote, hope it is better.
    Last edited by jtsky; 16th September 2008 at 11:08 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Quote Originally Posted by jtsky View Post
    Thanks calebk. I am using Benro A250. Will try again tonight. Think considering getting a remote, hope it is better.
    You don't have to pay for a remote. What you can do is find out how to do a 2s timer instead. On my 30D what I had to do was enable mirror lock up in the menu, then put the camera on timer.

    What will happen is upon pressing the shutter release fully, the mirror will flip up, then two seconds later, the shutter will trigger. This minimises shake that you may get when using a normal method to trigger exposure and the mirror flips up.

  13. #13
    Senior Member jtsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    2,079

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Thanks very much calebk, once again, u teach me something new. I will try to look for the function.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Serangoon North
    Posts
    2,225

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Another thing you can do is to correct the distortion cause by WA lens so that the building looks straight. Can use the lens correction tool in PS C2 and above.

  15. #15
    Senior Member jtsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    2,079

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Thanks, m3lv1nh0. Ya, I tried but not very good in it. Managed to straighten the front building only. If I corrected the back building, the front one will be distorted again. Quite difficult to get all straight. Not up to the standard yet.

  16. #16

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Quote Originally Posted by jtsky View Post
    Your pictures are beautiful, do you use any filter for the HDB and moon shot. The moon looks nice and yet the building is not underexpose. Can share with me more detail, thanks
    Many many thanks.
    Its either super steady hands, or higher shutter speed, or tripod or as calebk mentioned use the timer.

    Basic exif data:
    Exposure: 0.5 sec (1/2)
    Aperture: f/4.5
    Focal Length: 18 mm
    ISO Speed: 800
    Time taken 7:35pm > this helps to get the still blue sky colour in long exposure. Note that I dont put in too much emphasis on the building, otherwise the sky and the moon would not be the main subject. Somehow it comes to picture composition; and being at the right place, right time. For me, I'm blessed thats from my kitchen window.
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

  17. #17
    Senior Member jtsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    2,079

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Thanks. cheguthamrin. Will try using ur setting. Have been waiting. I think I am not so lucky that the moon does not appear at the same direction anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheguthamrin View Post
    Many many thanks.
    Its either super steady hands, or higher shutter speed, or tripod or as calebk mentioned use the timer.

    Basic exif data:
    Exposure: 0.5 sec (1/2)
    Aperture: f/4.5
    Focal Length: 18 mm
    ISO Speed: 800
    Time taken 7:35pm > this helps to get the still blue sky colour in long exposure. Note that I dont put in too much emphasis on the building, otherwise the sky and the moon would not be the main subject. Somehow it comes to picture composition; and being at the right place, right time. For me, I'm blessed thats from my kitchen window.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Quote Originally Posted by jtsky View Post
    Thanks. cheguthamrin. Will try using ur setting. Have been waiting. I think I am not so lucky that the moon does not appear at the same direction anymore.
    Don't mirror other people's settings just 'cause they have nice results. It may not work for you.

    Personally some rules I set for night photography are:

    1) Lowest ISO possible
    2) Tripod, all the time

  19. #19

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Don't mirror other people's settings just 'cause they have nice results. It may not work for you.

    Personally some rules I set for night photography are:

    1) Lowest ISO possible
    2) Tripod, all the time
    100% Agree.
    Later when yours dont turn out good, then u curse and swear at me... chey... sometimes, its just that extra X factor / skills that one may have different from others.
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

  20. #20
    Senior Member jtsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    2,079

    Default Re: My first night photography

    Ha ha, u r right. Thanks very much. What I meant is I will use your setting as reference then adjust from there (like range of f-stop to set). I understand that my pic will not turn out as nice as experience ppl like both of u overnight. Just hope to get closer to the quality you produce. I really appreciate so many ppl here who willing to teach. BTW, I tried to use the 2S method to shot at Lower Pierce Reservoir and from window of my house again, the results are better.
    Last edited by jtsky; 18th September 2008 at 12:44 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •