Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: Local Webhost or US Webhost

  1. #21
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Quote Originally Posted by perspectives-act View Post
    Hi chanxj

    Can you share how to install the wordpress integration into the local server?
    i believe you can install it in most servers. hmm

  2. #22
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    One thing is, if you are registering a domain name, it is so much easier and better to register a .com than a .com.sg. The local domain name registrars are so protective of their ricebowl that they do not allow you to configure your own DNS etc without a great deal of hassle.

    Some even try to con you by saying that if you want to access the admin settings and create your own DNS, you need to sign up a hosting package with them (which makes me wonderwhy in the world would I do that if I want to point my domain outside).

    Others require you to open stupid support tickets that take a while to answer. Some even insist on a signed hard copy letter before they can change DNS entries.

    Overseas domain name registrars are so easy, once you login, you can change anything you want.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    One thing is, if you are registering a domain name, it is so much easier and better to register a .com than a .com.sg. The local domain name registrars are so protective of their ricebowl that they do not allow you to configure your own DNS etc without a great deal of hassle.

    Some even try to con you by saying that if you want to access the admin settings and create your own DNS, you need to sign up a hosting package with them (which makes me wonderwhy in the world would I do that if I want to point my domain outside).

    Others require you to open stupid support tickets that take a while to answer. Some even insist on a signed hard copy letter before they can change DNS entries.

    Overseas domain name registrars are so easy, once you login, you can change anything you want.
    Yes, tks. Will be registering a .com domain name.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    i believe you can install it in most servers. hmm
    Ok tks. Will find out on this.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Local or oversea server. This is a no brainer. OVERSEA.

    Cost is a factor. Access is a factor. Tech support is another. Free speach is one more. Better reach to the rest of the word is a definate.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    494

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Depending where is your target audience from, local or overseas?

    If your target audience is locally, I would advise taking up local web host because its much faster for you and your customers to access since we are located locally as well.
    You won't want your website to load so slow due to traffic conditions at the upstream providers network etc.. At times even overseas webhost might have no ways to resolve their slow access to your location.

    Cost is slightly higher than overseas, but I would say worth the value, service experience, and tech support as we are in the same time zone.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Quote Originally Posted by perspectives-act View Post
    Ok tks. Will find out on this.
    just google up for tutorials on wordpress installation. Many available.
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    I am using DownTownHost blog package at $5.95usd/month, 1000mb of space and 50gb of bandwidth. The support is fast and very helpful. I was hosting 3 wordpress on a account with no problem. On the problem that US host are slower than local host, true, but how much slower?

    If you find it unconvincing, then too bad.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Hi all forumers,

    I run a local hosting business. So, let me explain from a hoster point of view. Local vs US has been discussed many times.

    Local win in

    1. Latency - loosely translated as speed. If you ping US server, you normally get 100 to 150 ms. Local servers are around 10 to 15ms. In theory, that's 10 times faster for local traffic.

    2. Same time zone - which generally means better phone support. Also, when servers are under maintenance, it is normally 2am SG time. So, minimal downtime during working hours.

    3. Less chance of overselling - US hosters like to do 100GB, 500GB plan etc, which is not realistic. This is call overselling and often attrack spammers and might slow down the servers. Around 5GB to 30GB is what I think a shared hosting plan can take.

    4. If something's wrong, atleast you get to kick someone or make noise in their office.

    US win in

    1. More space and higher bandwidth - bandwitdh is cheaper in US, that's why they can sell so cheap. In US, anyone can pull ISDN line to his house and run a web hosting service from home. Plus if the weather is cold, they don't even need to host in data center.

    2. Established - due to the market size, US hosters are generally very big. 5000 to 10000 customers are consider small host there. Here in SG, 5000 customers is consider big host already. Established firm tend to have better support structures, ticket system etc and they are more experience.

    3. Price - US price can be 50% cheaper than local


    Also, from a pure business point of view, to run a server cost around $6000 ($3000 data center rental + hardward & software). Now, imagine a hosting plan at $80/year and net profile of $40/year. To break even, the hoster need to sell 150 accounts per server. Putting 150 to 250 accounts per 1U server is generally acceptable, depending on the load, utilisation etc.

    So, imagine if a hoster sell at $30, and make a profile of $15 per account, that means he has to put 400 accounts per server. This significantly increase the change of server overloading, bandwidth over use etc.

    Another point to mention is, for open source programs like wordpress etc, please get a web hosting in Linux and ask for intallatron or Fantastico De Luxe. These allow one-click installation of popular programs such as blog or forum. As for registrar, please find a good registrar other than a reseller who might not be knowledgeable. Changing DNS etc, is a standard function provided by the registrar.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Quote Originally Posted by perspectives-act View Post
    Hi chanxj

    Can you share how to install the wordpress integration into the local server?
    You just need to make sure your local server has the requirements as stated by wordpress. Go to wordpress and read the requirements, then check with the local server.

    Then just follow the installation instructions given by wordpress. It doesn't matter if it's local or overseas, it's the same.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Quote Originally Posted by hkloo View Post
    Hi all forumers,

    I run a local hosting business. So, let me explain from a hoster point of view. Local vs US has been discussed many times.

    Local win in

    1. Latency - loosely translated as speed. If you ping US server, you normally get 100 to 150 ms. Local servers are around 10 to 15ms. In theory, that's 10 times faster for local traffic.

    2. Same time zone - which generally means better phone support. Also, when servers are under maintenance, it is normally 2am SG time. So, minimal downtime during working hours.

    3. Less chance of overselling - US hosters like to do 100GB, 500GB plan etc, which is not realistic. This is call overselling and often attrack spammers and might slow down the servers. Around 5GB to 30GB is what I think a shared hosting plan can take.

    4. If something's wrong, atleast you get to kick someone or make noise in their office.

    US win in

    1. More space and higher bandwidth - bandwitdh is cheaper in US, that's why they can sell so cheap. In US, anyone can pull ISDN line to his house and run a web hosting service from home. Plus if the weather is cold, they don't even need to host in data center.

    2. Established - due to the market size, US hosters are generally very big. 5000 to 10000 customers are consider small host there. Here in SG, 5000 customers is consider big host already. Established firm tend to have better support structures, ticket system etc and they are more experience.

    3. Price - US price can be 50% cheaper than local


    Also, from a pure business point of view, to run a server cost around $6000 ($3000 data center rental + hardward & software). Now, imagine a hosting plan at $80/year and net profile of $40/year. To break even, the hoster need to sell 150 accounts per server. Putting 150 to 250 accounts per 1U server is generally acceptable, depending on the load, utilisation etc.

    So, imagine if a hoster sell at $30, and make a profile of $15 per account, that means he has to put 400 accounts per server. This significantly increase the change of server overloading, bandwidth over use etc.

    Another point to mention is, for open source programs like wordpress etc, please get a web hosting in Linux and ask for intallatron or Fantastico De Luxe. These allow one-click installation of popular programs such as blog or forum. As for registrar, please find a good registrar other than a reseller who might not be knowledgeable. Changing DNS etc, is a standard function provided by the registrar.
    Tks for sharing. At least I have a better understanding now.

  12. #32
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Unfortunately most if not all local registrars do not allow changing DNS by user without lots of catches.

    Quote Originally Posted by hkloo View Post
    As for registrar, please find a good registrar other than a reseller who might not be knowledgeable. Changing DNS etc, is a standard function provided by the registrar.

  13. #33
    Senior Member dorts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    2,173

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Local hosts definitely. It loads much faster and most important thing, uploads much faster.

    It's really much faster. I can confirm that.

    Besides, if the host goes down, you can call them to check.

    I'm using Limebox and they have an offer now.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    Local hosts definitely. It loads much faster and most important thing, uploads much faster.

    It's really much faster. I can confirm that.

    Besides, if the host goes down, you can call them to check.

    I'm using Limebox and they have an offer now.

    A very myopic view of the internet as if it exists only on this small island!

    There is no reason to host locally unless you need to attend to your dedicated server personally. For a hosting service, it does not matter where.

    Go with a reputable hosting service with 24/7 support, is the way to go.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  15. #35

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Unfortunately most if not all local registrars do not allow changing DNS by user without lots of catches.
    Hi, may I know which registrar give you such a bad experience?

    My registrar does allow full management of domain names, including a control panel for DNS changes, A, MX record pointing, domain forwarding, change contact information, getting AUTH CODE to transfer out, lock/unlock domain etc.

    I have have experience using 3 local registrars. They all allow DNS changes.

    1. IP Mirror
    2. Web visions
    3. WebNic

  16. #36

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    domain transfers will be quite fast from what i understand.

    yahoo paid services are dayumm exp right?
    If you everything right (domain unlock, AUTH CODE, admin email), the request for transfer is fast. Depending on the how fast the loosing registrar act, can take up to 2 weeks. My experience is that it normally takes 7-10 days.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    A very myopic view of the internet as if it exists only on this small island!

    There is no reason to host locally unless you need to attend to your dedicated server personally. For a hosting service, it does not matter where.

    Go with a reputable hosting service with 24/7 support, is the way to go.
    I think these link might help to provide more technical information from the hosting industry

    http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com/show...ighlight=local
    http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com/show...ighlight=local

  18. #38

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Quote Originally Posted by hkloo View Post
    I think these link might help to provide more technical information from the hosting industry

    http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com/show...ighlight=local
    http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com/show...ighlight=local

    Sorry, HK, still absolutely no reason to host a site in Singapore. The information providing is not impartial. I can understand you point of view, but they are by no means impartial either.

    And don't forget the liability for hosting in Singapore.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  19. #39
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    north
    Posts
    1,178

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Sorry, HK, still absolutely no reason to host a site in Singapore. The information providing is not impartial. I can understand you point of view, but they are by no means impartial either.

    And don't forget the liability for hosting in Singapore.
    i have to agree with deadpoet on this. the liabilities we are ALOT more hosting in singapore and the chances of brushing the law. well, not that i'm say you are doing something illegal but cost wise, overseas muchhh cheaper as compared. sg pricing are twisted man!

  20. #40

    Default Re: Local Webhost or US Webhost

    Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    Local hosts definitely. It loads much faster and most important thing, uploads much faster.

    It's really much faster. I can confirm that.

    Besides, if the host goes down, you can call them to check.

    I'm using Limebox and they have an offer now.
    What's your website URL ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •