Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Cokin P series. anyone using?

  1. #1

    Default Cokin P series. anyone using?

    hey there!
    i heard cokin p filters are 'out dated'.
    true?
    anyone still using?
    cos i got one today...
    Cokin P120... how would you guys rate it? or should i get another one?

  2. #2
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    There hasn't been too much radical change in photography.
    GND is pretty still alive

    What you should get next will depend on what u need. Try making a few more shots with your filter first and work on from there, and you will find the answer within you

    Ryan

  3. #3

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    There hasn't been too much radical change in photography.
    GND is pretty still alive

    What you should get next will depend on what u need. Try making a few more shots with your filter first and work on from there, and you will find the answer within you

    Ryan
    but seriously, i never seen anyone using out in the streets at all!
    i must be the one out dated
    but would you recommend a higher -stop?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    Probably not very useful when shooting urban shots in Singapore but I figure it would be pretty handy when you get out of this island.

    I want to buy a filter set. Lee filters are priced out of my range. Where did you get the Cokin set? The lady at CP told me that the NGD were sold out.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    Quote Originally Posted by acpical View Post
    Probably not very useful when shooting urban shots in Singapore but I figure it would be pretty handy when you get out of this island.

    I want to buy a filter set. Lee filters are priced out of my range. Where did you get the Cokin set? The lady at CP told me that the NGD were sold out.
    i got it just now Cathay Marina! she told you sold out? she also told me, but i forgot wat i said, then she brought out the P120. lol. said only got one left.

    anw guys, does P120 actually be able make the skies 'bluer' when it reduces the amount of light passing through?

  6. #6
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    Quote Originally Posted by HTCahHTC View Post
    does P120 actually be able make the skies 'bluer' when it reduces the amount of light passing through?
    A neutral density filter should be color neutral. It can darken any existing colors, but not to add other colors to it ( that would be an undesirable color cast ) Yes it will make the skies darker and accentuate its original hues

  7. #7

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    A neutral density filter should be color neutral. It can darken any existing colors, but not to add other colors to it ( that would be an undesirable color cast ) Yes it will make the skies darker and accentuate its original hues
    ok, thanks! but i believe the P120 doesn't really help much?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    and also, the salesperson told me not to touch it but to only hold it by the sides.
    but i noticed some stains on it. can't i even clean it?

  9. #9
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    Earlier on I started with a +2 stop GND and after one trip realized it was really not sufficient, and subsequently got a +3 and +4. On some occasions I even gotta stack them. I initially mentioned about trying out the limits of your current setup first because not everyone really needs so many filters. Many are perfectly happy without.

    The question of using GND on streets, I guess you can but with a slight bit of hassle. I have tried shooting on streets with GND but usually not easily applicable in the cities I visit where skylines are not the most regular transitions to place. Zoossh uses his GND pretty often on street shots you can refer to his posts in the landscape section. I use it mainly for my landscapes.

    I handhold the sides of the filter when I use them ( rarely i setup the Cokin holder unless I need accurate placement when making panoramas ). You can wipe the stains with your microfibre cloth. Little seemingly harmless fingerprints can potentially soften the contrast and details of part of the photo as I have painfully experienced in my Europe trip. I have read that some of the lesser brands actually have ?? color coming onto the cloth when cleaning with alcohol. I have no experience with them so not the best person to comment

    Ryan

  10. #10

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    Heya there,

    Just wanted to share that I use Cokin P system too. Have the GND8, ND8, ND4, ND2, Grad Blue, Grad Orange, Grad Tobacco (I think), Blue, etc etc.... I like this system cos it doesnt matter what your lens size is..... I dont wanna spend a bomb buying varying filters everytime I have a new lens....

    I use the holder only if I wanna use more than one filter at a go. For example, adding ND8 and ND4 together to lengthen the exposure while taking water.....

    Only problem for me is that there's no applicable holder for my UWA at 11mm, so it's just my hands. Not a problem most of the time.....

    Cleaning is like what Giantcanopy sez. I use a microfibre without any solution. If there's stain, I use the lenspen as well.
    Snap ?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    okay guys.
    thanks alot for those enlightenment!
    appreciate alot!
    i'll start with the basics first
    buy more if i actually needs it.
    thanks!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    Quote Originally Posted by ianwurn View Post
    Heya there,

    Just wanted to share that I use Cokin P system too. Have the GND8, ND8, ND4, ND2, Grad Blue, Grad Orange, Grad Tobacco (I think), Blue, etc etc.... I like this system cos it doesnt matter what your lens size is..... I dont wanna spend a bomb buying varying filters everytime I have a new lens....

    I use the holder only if I wanna use more than one filter at a go. For example, adding ND8 and ND4 together to lengthen the exposure while taking water.....

    Only problem for me is that there's no applicable holder for my UWA at 11mm, so it's just my hands. Not a problem most of the time.....

    Cleaning is like what Giantcanopy sez. I use a microfibre without any solution. If there's stain, I use the lenspen as well.
    I am thinking of purchasing the Cokin P system for my needs.

    Are there issues with using the P system on your UWA at 11mm? I go to as wide as 10 mm on my Sigma lens. Are there any issues with using the P system on UWA lenses?
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  13. #13

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    i use the p system - the wide angle filter holder (one slot for filters only) with my UWA.. but i don't use cokin filters, i find them a little too overpriced for the quality (yes), even compared to singh-ray. might as well get tianya - cheaper, frankly more neutral.. and not too shabby in terms of image degradation.

    not many people use gnd filters in singapore - in short either they feel the desire to use it, thinking (sometimes wrongly) that they can recover the details; or some will profess that you can always do it digitally.. which is not off the mark if you merge a few frames, but it is a hassle, much more than just using the filter while shooting.

    entropy - there is slight vignetting at 10mm, just darkening of the corners if you use the wide angle filter holder; please do not get the 3 filter holder, you can see the holder in your viewfinder. just stop down, from f/16 you will see much less vignetting already.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    I am thinking of purchasing the Cokin P system for my needs.

    Are there issues with using the P system on your UWA at 11mm? I go to as wide as 10 mm on my Sigma lens. Are there any issues with using the P system on UWA lenses?
    There is a wide angle holder for the P series, it holds only 1 filter instead of the usual 3.

    I don't notice much vignetting at 10mm. At most times, I hand hold the filter anyway.
    Last edited by ahbian; 6th November 2008 at 10:10 PM.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i use the p system - the wide angle filter holder (one slot for filters only) with my UWA.. but i don't use cokin filters, i find them a little too overpriced for the quality (yes), even compared to singh-ray. might as well get tianya - cheaper, frankly more neutral.. and not too shabby in terms of image degradation.

    not many people use gnd filters in singapore - in short either they feel the desire to use it, thinking (sometimes wrongly) that they can recover the details; or some will profess that you can always do it digitally.. which is not off the mark if you merge a few frames, but it is a hassle, much more than just using the filter while shooting.

    entropy - there is slight vignetting at 10mm, just darkening of the corners if you use the wide angle filter holder; please do not get the 3 filter holder, you can see the holder in your viewfinder. just stop down, from f/16 you will see much less vignetting already.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    There is a wide angle holder for the P series, it holds only 1 filter instead of the usual 3.

    I don't notice much vignetting at 10mm. At most times, I hand hold the filter anyway.
    Great, thanks for the prompt and detailed reply guys.

    So from my understanding, the 3-filter holder is definitely a no-no for wide angle lenses. And as is common with normal screw-in filters, some slight vignetting is observed at the wide end.

    And thanks for the recommendation. From other threads I've read, it seems that most people agree that the Tianya filters make more sense in that price range.

    Night86mare, is your wide angle filter holder (for 1 filter) from Cokin? And subsequently, you purchased Tianya filters?
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  16. #16

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    yes, they are interchangeable; my wide angle holder is from cokin

    and in the future, if you win lottery and decide to splurge on singh-ray, they have cokin-p size too

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    I've been using the cokin P series filter since around 15 years ago... My opinion that it was a good product, but I feel it more useful during those older days where you can't do much post-processing of 35mm film. However, I still use it once or twice these days, especially for soft focus, spot, and pastel.
    Achetez ce que vous souhaitez, pas ce que vous voulez...

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    Quote Originally Posted by voldisinarta View Post
    I've been using the cokin P series filter since around 15 years ago... My opinion that it was a good product, but I feel it more useful during those older days where you can't do much post-processing of 35mm film. However, I still use it once or twice these days, especially for soft focus, spot, and pastel.
    I do agree that digital manipulation MAY render some filters not as useful as previously. I think you're missing out on using GNDs and ND filters as well. Can't replicate those with post-processing (I don't consider HDR or Digital Blending a substitute for GNDs since you have to take multiple shots.)
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  19. #19

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    I do agree that digital manipulation MAY render some filters not as useful as previously. I think you're missing out on using GNDs and ND filters as well. Can't replicate those with post-processing (I don't consider HDR or Digital Blending a substitute for GNDs since you have to take multiple shots.)
    add cpl to the list..

    the rest.. it depends..

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: Cokin P series. anyone using?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    add cpl to the list...
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    ... I think you're missing out on using GNDs and ND filters as well...
    So far I never use cokin P-series filter for GND and ND... always use normal filter on my lens... As for Cpl, I use Cokin P-series.
    Achetez ce que vous souhaitez, pas ce que vous voulez...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •