Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: leaking toilet ceiling? who pay?

Default Re: leaking toilet ceiling? who pay?

Make sure the contractor do the test and find the root cause before he starts any work. A burst pipe is easy to fix (cheap), if the floor sealing problem, then the upper floor need to hack up all the floor and put a new sealing layer back and put back the floor (expensive), if condo then usually upstairs and downstairs share the cost 50/50, yr management council may just mislead u, talk to yr upper floor neighbour first, some are nice neighbour while some others will get annoyed and refuse to talk abt it (bec it doesnt affect them!). Also check if the condo is pretty new then the developer may need to pay for it (now u know why the management council may mislead u in the 1st place).

Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    Make sure the contractor do the test and find the root cause before he starts any work. A burst pipe is easy to fix (cheap), if the floor sealing problem, then the upper floor need to hack up all the floor and put a new sealing layer back and put back the floor (expensive), if condo then usually upstairs and downstairs share the cost 50/50, yr management council may just mislead u, talk to yr upper floor neighbour first, some are nice neighbour while some others will get annoyed and refuse to talk abt it (bec it doesnt affect them!). Also check if the condo is pretty new then the developer may need to pay for it (now u know why the management council may mislead u in the 1st place).
    yup, I think if it is a water proofing problem, it is under warranty. The developer will pay for it. But the management council guy blur blur one. So I am getting my contractor down to inspect and see what is wrong.

A few years ago, I had this problem too. However, as we had just moved into the new flat, HDB asked the flat above to do the repair because apparently they found out that the contractor had changed the original tiles and the water-proofing was not done properly. Guess this is a straight forward case because obviously it was the other party's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    when was the legislation effective? why did hdb subsidizes?
    Quote Originally Posted by pisduck View Post
    u have any links or u know where is this new legislation under?

I tried googling and searching hdb website but cannot find it.

Not sure if it applies to hdb and i'm not too sure under what condition hdb subsidises.

Check out the BCA website on the bldg & strata mgt act http://www.bca.gov.sg/BMSM/bmsma.html

"There are a number of significant changes introduced in the BMSMA. They include, among other things, 2-tier MC scheme, proportional representation in the council for multiple lot owners, responsibility of owners to maintain their windows, presumption of liabilty on upper floor unit owners in leakages between units, office bearers permitted to resign without replacements and provision for share values to be varied in staged developments."

Actually my celing was ok all these while, a new neighbour move in and renovated their toilet upstair then the celing started to leak. I still paid the 25%.

Ya , the BMSMA is for private properties...MCST in general. Onus on the top unless otherwise proven. Usually, can do injection to the leaking areas to plug the seepage. If your condo is under warranty, get the MA to get the main contractor to settle the matter. Warranty for water proofing is usually for quite a number of years (not the usual DLP period). But of course, confirm with your MA on the warranty matter, sometimes, the MA may be able to get the main contractor back to look at the problem even though warranty is up... Be nice to the MA, and sometimes it helps btw, I am not from MA..

water seepage can be difficult to trace. So the injection by force will actually forces its way back through the "weak" route and cover it. So it must be done properly, otherwise the water will just find the next weakest route and then you find yourself with another seepage at another area.

Agree with Austin, the ROOT CAUSE must be found, otherwise the problem will keep coming back, sometimes evidence of a leak may appear far away from the actual source of problem

If at the end of the day, there is a dispute between you and your neighbour, then you can take your case to BCA which is administering the BMSMA.

For new projects, the units are under Defects Liability Period. (There is a difference between buying a new unit from the developer before the MCST is set up and buying a unit from the developer after the MCST is formed, although technically in both instances, they are new units bought from developer, the warranty issue may be a little more tricky. Some will start to "Taichi" here and there.
    Last edited by davee78; 15th September 2008 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pisduck View Post
    thanks for all the replies

I live in EC so not under HDB ruling. Anyway, the management council say the top guy will pay for everything so I am getting my contractor down to quote today.

$1600 so expensive. My management council says should be around 200-300... Let's see how expensive it is...
    update us on the outcome.

got a quote,

fix pipe $380
    fix false ceiling $60
    repaint ceiling $100

now negotiating who pay what. I am thinking of asking the above unit to foot the cost of the pipe (his pipe) 100% while the ceiling repairs 50-50.

Quote Originally Posted by lightbrush View Post
    Not sure if it applies to hdb and i'm not too sure under what condition hdb subsidises.
    Its always out of good will that they will subsidises.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12