Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uneven aperture blades?

Default Re: Uneven aperture blades?

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Depends on the lens too. Most of my lenses maintain a circular shape till about f/5.6, but after that the aperture blades remain in a fairly symmetrical shape
    That's what i meant when i said at smaller apertures, it will not be in such a perfect shape.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Snoweagle, do you have any additional info that backs up your statement?
    The lenses speak for itself.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    I have seen more than 20 of this lens.
    Most of them got uneven aperture blades

There's no problem with your lens
    Thanks fatigue and the rest of you for clarifying. I don't have that many lenses (yet ) so no experience before hehe
    Click... and the moment lives forever

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    That's what i meant when i said at smaller apertures, it will not be in such a perfect shape.
    Actually, what Rashkae meant is that even past f/5.6, the shape is still regular, just not circular.

Actually, what Rashkae meant is that even past f/5.6, the shape is still regular, just not circular.
    yeah i think so too. it should be regular but not circular since there is only that few blades.

if this is so, then the TS's lens is got problem or not? as i notice the blade at 7 O'clock position didn't close as much as the rest of the blades...
    [Canon EOS 5D II + 40D | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II + 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II] [Fuji X-Pro1 + XF35mm f/1.4]

That's what i meant by saying perfect shape but at smaller apertures e.g. f/8 and smaller, it's not that regular.

Basically it's the construction of the lens whereby the blades overlapped each other to
    form the aperture and the irregular opening is normal.

Most 35mm format lenses aperture blade more or less inherent such problem. But yet, I hardly encounter such problem happen in those 120mm format lenses aperture blade.
    Maybe I'm wrong too.
    Last edited by Spectrum; 17th September 2008 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Problem with the construction? Or design issue?
    I believe it's more on making the lens affordable rather than design problem.
    Having a regular aperture shape means tighter parts specs, perhaps additional QC/QA process which only translates to additional cost.
    These lens makers can produce perfect aperture shapes if they want to, but it will be costly.

Quote Originally Posted by H4lcyon View Post
    Thanks fatigue and the rest of you for clarifying. I don't have that many lenses (yet ) so no experience before hehe
    I don't have much lenses as well. My hobby/part-time gives me the opportunity to try and test several lenses.
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12