Thread: which laptop to choose?

Default which laptop to choose?

Hi guys, i would like to enquire which laptop has the best monitor colour for editing photos for printing. As i had notice in many laptops, their monitor colours were kinda flat compared to the PC monitor, which has richer colours and are more contrasting. I tried to calibrate my laptop but it doesn't seem to work.

At the moment, i'm only editing my photos using my PC as the colours are better and the prints came out well. But i need a laptop with a monitor as rich in colour as my PC so i can edit my photos anywhere. I've heard of macbook, but its expensive right? Any recommendations will be appreciated as i am not good in computer stuff. thx
    Award winner of Singapore Young Photographer Award 2012
    dennisongphotography.com

Default Re: which laptop to choose?

macbook pro with aperture 2. Totally rocks your socks off.
    Good leaders don't just lead their men to victory, they lead them home.

Quote Originally Posted by iron symphony View Post
    how much is it? must be very ex...the name already says it..man dunno where to get the money, now saving up for nikon D90 and a 70-300mm VR lens, no money liao lol
    dennisongphotography.com

Actually macbooks and macbook pros are not expensive. Its only the perception. Compare similar specs laptop and you will find that the price difference is not that great.
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

well... you get what you pay for. You can ask some of your friends to see if they got mac discount cards. members get 10% off.
    Good leaders don't just lead their men to victory, they lead them home.

icic, ya i had a fren who has a macbook, was impressed with the colours. currently i had a acer one, did not like the colour at all, it gives a cool colour and less contrasting compared to my PC which is the other way round(better for editing pictures). Just a newbie question, why does PCs have better colours than most laptops?
    Last edited by dennisthetiger; 14th September 2008 at 02:40 PM.
    dennisongphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by dennisthetiger View Post
    icic, ya i had a fren who has a macbook, was impressed with the colours. currently i had a acer one, did not like the colour at all, it gives a cool colour and less contrasting compared to my PC which is the other way round(better for editing pictures). Just a newbie question, why does PCs have better colours than most laptops?
    It's the monitor.

Apple MacBook

Smile Re: which laptop to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by iron symphony View Post
    I second that!! It's the best combination that you can ever find.

Quote Originally Posted by lloh108 View Post
    I second that!! It's the best combination that you can ever find.

how much is it?
    dennisongphotography.com

Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

As others have mentioned, get a Macbook or even better a Macbook Pro. I tried many laptops before I ended with my Macbook Pro. Tried Dell, Fujitsu, Toshiba, Acer, Lenovo/IBM, HP, etc. but wasn't impressed by them. I don't want to start a brand war or anything like that, but in my experience the Mac OS is quite hassle-free unlike Windows (I was a Windows user for many many years but gave up on it).

Macbook with aperture is actually enough =)

Macs are very cheap these days.. Still remember the good ole days of slow macs and high prices..
    Meow!

TS's seem to be concern with the quality of the display. That being the focus, a MBP will make a better choice over the MB (I am assuming u r sticking to Mac).

The difference between the MB and MBP is the graphics processor. MB's built into Intel's Core 2 Duo (Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100). MBP's a separate processor with its own memory (Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT with 256 MB GDDR3). MB's X3100 will take up aprox 140 MB of your MB's RAM, so not only is the graphics processor not as powerful, it also take up some of your MacBook's overall performance.

Alternatively, stick to a PC laptop since u r already using one for your desktop.

5 cents
    dan

P.S. As with the flat colour, I am sure some calibration will help.
    Last edited by danmic; 14th September 2008 at 10:38 PM.
    1Ds Mk III / EF 16-35 f2.8L II / EF 24-70 f2.8L / EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II / EF 85 f1.2L II