Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: increased my budget, so now what to get?

  1. #1

    Default increased my budget, so now what to get?

    hey all, sorry to disturb again, after checking my savings and selling off my stuff, i've around 1.2k budget, played around with my friend's 450D and felt, screw it, just go for a DSLR instead even though the bulk is a bit of trouble.

    with that budget, what would you guys recommend? hoping there's a good xmas sale in dec but without letting my hopes go too high and being a 'kiasu' guy who likes to do alot of 'homework' before purchase.. you get the picture

    i was considering DSLR-A300X kit which includes (DT18-70mm, DT55-200mm)

    EOS 450D Kit (EF S18-55IS) 1.3k?

    and E-520 (i can't find the details on pricing here nor the web)

    *edit:this part taken out*

    indoor shots, office use, scenic, outings (i still havent take the picture of the #%@ lions)
    Last edited by mcclaine; 14th September 2008 at 08:39 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    Personally, I think it is a bit puzzling that you consider your purchase based on pictures sent to you taken by the kit lens.

    How would you take into account the differences between a skilled photographer and a not-so skilled one?

    If you wish to compare the ISO perfomances and such, I would think that DPreview is a better control than different pictures sent by other users.

    My two cents is to go down to the shops and seen how your three (maybe two, since you tried out the 450D) shortlisted models handles.
    Last edited by ahbian; 14th September 2008 at 10:11 AM.

  3. #3
    Member MarkTan89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Boon Keng
    Posts
    591

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    The EOS 450D is a great choice with a raft of useful features for the new user. Street prices are about S$980 for the body alone and with the kit is about S$1150 or somewhere in that region.

  4. #4
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcclaine View Post
    between A300X, 450D and E-520, any owners care to send me their photo links?
    Echoing what ahbian replied, you get a good user taking great pics with one particular kit lens, but another taking less than illustrious shots with different lens, it should not be the final determinant in the system.

    The differences might be more of the focal range offered for the different zoom kit lens and the specifics of the bodies. A better option is ( after researching on the various models and the prices ) to go down to the shops and try out the bodies and see if the camera feels good in your hands.

    Ryan

  5. #5

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcclaine View Post

    between A300X, 450D and E-520, any owners care to send me their photo links?
    looking for the images with the default lens since dpreview have only limited pictures and all outdoors and no review for A300 only A200 and A350

    indoor shots, office use, scenic, outings (i still havent take the picture of the #%@ lions)
    I think it's totally useless to compare based on photos sent to you, as this will be dependent on the photographer, and any PP work he/she did.

    Personally, I'd suggest going for the A300. You get a good sensor, best-in-class live view, a tilting LCD, in-body antishake, and the Sony kit lens is actually quite decent and gives you better reach than the canon kit lens.

    Here's a review of the Sony kit lens:
    http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-a...report?start=1

    Here's a review of the Canon kit lens:
    http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/18...review?start=1


    Most importantly, consider the ergonomics of the camera. IMHO, the Sony wins hands-down in that department, I find it much more comfortable to hold than the Canon.
    Alpha

  6. #6

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    also take into account the variety of lens and accessories between the different brands,
    it's not just about buying the camera, unless u are gonna only use the kit lens

  7. #7

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Personally, I think it is a bit puzzling that you consider your purchase based on pictures sent to you taken by the kit lens.

    How would you take into account the differences between a skilled photographer and a not-so skilled one?

    If you wish to compare the ISO perfomances and such, I would think that DPreview is a better control than different pictures sent by other users.

    My two cents is to go down to the shops and seen how your three (maybe two, since you tried out the 450D) shortlisted models handles.
    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Echoing what ahbian replied, you get a good user taking great pics with one particular kit lens, but another taking less than illustrious shots with different lens, it should not be the final determinant in the system.

    The differences might be more of the focal range offered for the different zoom kit lens and the specifics of the bodies. A better option is ( after researching on the various models and the prices ) to go down to the shops and try out the bodies and see if the camera feels good in your hands.

    Ryan

    the pictures part i would like to see.. even though the user may or may not be professional, but to let me know how it does *how it performs in good, and not so good hands*

  8. #8

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Personally, I'd suggest going for the A300. You get a good sensor, best-in-class live view, a tilting LCD, in-body antishake, and the Sony kit lens is actually quite decent and gives you better reach than the canon kit lens.

    Most importantly, consider the ergonomics of the camera. IMHO, the Sony wins hands-down in that department, I find it much more comfortable to hold than the Canon.
    hmm k thanks i'll take a look at it

  9. #9

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by wdEvA View Post
    also take into account the variety of lens and accessories between the different brands,
    it's not just about buying the camera, unless u are gonna only use the kit lens
    for the time being most prob would be the kit lens first? im just near average in terms of income and savings, therefore after my purchase, it would be quite awhile before i would be able to buy more accessories, but definitely drybox on my priority list

    i'm not able to really tell, besides E-520, whether the other 2 cameras can use the 4/3 lens?

  10. #10

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    Go get the D60 lah, it's priced about SGD 860 in Hong Kong or about SGD960 (last I heard) in Singapore.

  11. #11
    Member gymak90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Far North
    Posts
    1,448

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcclaine View Post
    the pictures part i would like to see.. even though the user may or may not be professional, but to let me know how it does *how it performs in good, and not so good hands*
    You might as well check out the pics by the 3cameras when used in good hands. Even then it's not going to be accurate. Best way is still have a feel of the cam yourself. Check out dpreview on iso, white balance performance etc to identify the strengths n weaknesses of each cam.

    Quote Originally Posted by mcclaine View Post
    for the time being most prob would be the kit lens first? im just near average in terms of income and savings, therefore after my purchase, it would be quite awhile before i would be able to buy more accessories, but definitely drybox on my priority list

    i'm not able to really tell, besides E-520, whether the other 2 cameras can use the 4/3 lens?
    No way. Sony n canon are not using 4/3 system. So 4/3 lenses e.g. zuiko, can only be used on olympus cams.
    The best things in life are free.

  12. #12

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    Go get the D60 lah, it's priced about SGD 860 in Hong Kong or about SGD960 (last I heard) in Singapore.
    considered and tested it before, didnt felt quite right in my hands

  13. #13

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    No way. Sony n canon are not using 4/3 system. So 4/3 lenses e.g. zuiko, can only be used on olympus cams.
    ok as im quite a newbie.. but would that part be very important? as i've a cousin using dslrs also but as he's abroad i can't confirm with him but i know he's using nikon, either D40 or D40x, which means we can't exchange lens then?

  14. #14

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcclaine View Post
    the pictures part i would like to see.. even though the user may or may not be professional, but to let me know how it does *how it performs in good, and not so good hands*
    Are you expecting non-PP pics?

    How would you know that a "bad" pic is due to a

    1)bad lens in a good hands
    2)a good lens in bad hands
    3)a bad lens in a bad hands
    4) a good pic with bad PP
    5) a bad pic with bad PP?

  15. #15

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Are you expecting non-PP pics?

    How would you know that a "bad" pic is due to a

    1)bad lens in a good hands
    2)a good lens in bad hands
    3)a bad lens in a bad hands
    4) a good pic with bad PP
    5) a bad pic with bad PP?
    sorry im still not familiar with all the terms in CS, non-pp = non-people?
    i am not saying that seeing pictures that's WOW i'll immediately buy that camera, just seeing and at the same time viewing what was used, the aperture, shutter, camera. its all just seeing and learning. if i see a picture that im interested, of course i'd pm the owner of the picture to ask how its done, after all, im still new, all i want now is to learn, shoot, learn..

  16. #16

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    PP means post processed. Maybe the original picture was not too good, but the photoshop skills of the person could be good enough to salvage it into a decent picture.
    So the quality of the picture is not so much dependent on the quality of the lens per se.

  17. #17

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcclaine View Post
    sorry im still not familiar with all the terms in CS, non-pp = non-people?
    i am not saying that seeing pictures that's WOW i'll immediately buy that camera, just seeing and at the same time viewing what was used, the aperture, shutter, camera. its all just seeing and learning. if i see a picture that im interested, of course i'd pm the owner of the picture to ask how its done, after all, im still new, all i want now is to learn, shoot, learn..
    Main point is that.. You can't compare cameras based on photos sent to you. It is ultra super duper subjective.
    Meow!

  18. #18

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    hmm.. ok.. thanks alot ahbian gavin and the rest on that

    still considering between them 3.. lol.. wanted to go down today but had a round of heavy migraine end up stuck in bed until now.. guess i've to wait for next weekend then :|

  19. #19

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcclaine View Post
    hmm.. ok.. thanks alot ahbian gavin and the rest on that

    still considering between them 3.. lol.. wanted to go down today but had a round of heavy migraine end up stuck in bed until now.. guess i've to wait for next weekend then :|
    Get the canon For no reason at all. Just the canon

    Canon
    Meow!

  20. #20

    Default Re: increased my budget, so now what to get?

    If I may suggest, drop the idea of 4/3s and add the D60 to your list. You can compare the prices of lenses, image quality based on reviews and prices from this site. However, you need to compare the 3 cameras side by side to make an assesment of the features that you like. Last point, don't listen to sales talk, walk away if you are unsure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •