Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How then consider pro?

Default Re: How then consider pro?

This is quite ridiculous...The word "pro" is defined by people's standards lah.Can't anyhow get angry just because the don't call you pro.Besides...Your friend does not sound very experienced(No offence...)

Don't have to always shoot people as subjects to learn photography. If really die die need to shoot people can try doing candids on the streets or anywhere else.

let me relate a old story.

in 1994/5 era, there is a boom in the number of bridal shops.

it is possible for some shop owners to turn pro w little or no photography experience. a few actually bothered to sign up for the Basic Potrait Lighting Course organised by a local photography society.

one fine day, after a club outing, the lecturers decided to visit one of the student's shop.

to a huge 2' x 3' potrait hung outside the shop, the comment was, "how many times i told him liao, highkey potrait is about using lighting technique to achieve the result. not overexpose 2-3 stops, whitening the bride's face, thereby eliminating all flaws, leaving only the eyes and the nostril visible" and such photos are in literally every shop there (IMM).

the irony is, the lecturer of the professionals are amateurs (perhaps some of the best salon photographers in the world)(one works in a provision shop while the other is a delivery driver).

professionals with sloppy techniques are able to get away w it because many clients simply dun know what are good photographs. esp for wedding album, the thinking is, ppl ve, i also must ve. so long as its expensive, thick and weighs a ton, it must be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Like I said before, being a professional and earning a living out of it doesn't necessarily means he/she can produce decent works or meet the clients' requirements everytime. The assumption of "if he/she is a pro, then he/she has to be good" is rampant, inaccurate and dangerous.
    I agree. Perhaps was not detailed enough in my reply.
    Meow!

Extracted from dictionary.references.com
    –adjective
    1. following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.
    5. following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime: a professional golfer.
    7. undertaken or engaged in as a means of livelihood or for gain: professional baseball.
    –noun
    11. a person who earns a living in a sport or other occupation frequently engaged in by amateurs: a golf professional.
    13. a person who is expert at his or her work: You can tell by her comments that this editor is a real professional.

So i guess the word "professional" can have many different meanings, depending on your interpretation.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Quote Originally Posted by jamessss View Post
    Ok, so i have this weird question because of a photoshoot which my friend are doing.

So my friend is rather new to photography and was actually going to help a group of friend do a photoshoot but in the end, this group of friend find another photographer saying he is more "pro" but he can still be present to take extra photo for them.

How do you conclude someone is pro or not? By his/her portfolio? By equipment? Isn't this very subjective?
    Sorry, what is the problem here? Why is your friend pissed? Cause they decided to use another person? or he wasn't the "chosen" one? He's allowed to take photos during the shoot and by what you said "rather new to photography", he should jump at the opportunity to shoot anything. Take some pics and show to the group that his photos are better so that he could be the "chosen" one the next time. Remember the guy with a better pic, laughs last.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwong View Post
    Sorry, what is the problem here? Why is your friend pissed? Cause they decided to use another person? or he wasn't the "chosen" one? He's allowed to take photos during the shoot and by what you said "rather new to photography", he should jump at the opportunity to shoot anything. Take some pics and show to the group that his photos are better so that he could be the "chosen" one the next time. Remember the guy with a better pic, laughs last.
    I agree with this post, as long as your friend has got the chance to shoot, he has the chance to prove that he might, and can be the better photographer.

Its not about being professional, its about being good and willing to always learn at what you do and I think thats more important.

You'll know he's a PRO if he has a Flickr PRO and a LowePRO camera bag.. hahahahaha..
    Loslos...

Quote Originally Posted by mamypoko View Post
    I agree with this post, as long as your friend has got the chance to shoot, he has the chance to prove that he might, and can be the better photographer.

Its not about being professional, its about being good and willing to always learn at what you do and I think thats more important.
    Thats true, the chance to be one of the "official" photographers does not come by easily when one is starting one, your friend should try to make the best of the opportunity.

I also don't know him man, keep grumbling to me, so i thought maybe post up on clubsnap for some opinion.

ask him to stop whining like a bitch and get on with life

there'll be other chances

Quote Originally Posted by Raied View Post
    ask him to stop whining like a bitch and get on with life

there'll be other chances
    agreed..
    go in,do ur thing,get out n dont look back.
    if ur pics r better than his =

Tag along to a friend's colleague ROM upon my friend jio-ing to join him to go as free photographer. there was a supposedly actual hired photographer, being hired and paid, I kept out of his way whenever he was shooting as I believe my friend is an extra, just there to gain experience and improve his photography skills upon his colleague's request and me, a super extra haa haa just tag along to shoot and help out for fun and for love of photography maybe just cover from some angle and candid shots

since ppl want to pay money for a service, let them i would say the decision is theirs to made and any regret is theirs to keep, just enjoy snapping can liao
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12