Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Monochrome Attempt

  1. #1

    Default Monochrome Attempt

    been fascinated with monochrome images recently, thought i try one out with this abandoned building at Labrador..



    seems like turning a picture into black and white is not as easy as desaturating it..

    therefore, would like some critiques mainly on the mono post processing so i can do better.

    some info on the image - taken at 22mm f11, 1/8s, ISO1000 at about 7pm. PP done in CS2, adjusted the levels, curves and added some noise.
    You Need Some Madness In Life To Stay Sane
    http://emuted.multiply.com

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Balestier
    Posts
    568

    Default Re: Monochrome Attempt

    Hi,
    I really like it...i'm fascinated with monochrome images too...this picture gave me a feel of desolation and despair...
    Hope to see some more
    LightSide Shooter
    flickr

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In Your Heart
    Posts
    676

    Default Re: Monochrome Attempt

    'curves and added some noise', good one. Maybe you shld just make it
    to a higher iso and make a natural one rather than add em. I really like it
    anyways. (:

    or maybe you could try and hide in those bushes and create a kind of
    sneaky worms eyeview kind of picture. hahhaha.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Monochrome Attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by hairyharry View Post
    'curves and added some noise', good one. Maybe you shld just make it
    to a higher iso and make a natural one rather than add em. I really like it
    anyways. (:
    Um...adding noise in post gives you the option of a noiseless image as your final product, or one with a little noise. The whole point of adding noise in post is so that you have control over how dense the noise is in your final product; it's a failsafe, so to speak.

    Quote Originally Posted by hairyharry View Post
    or maybe you could try and hide in those bushes and create a kind of
    sneaky worms eyeview kind of picture. hahhaha.
    ...and how does this pertain to improving monochrome images?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Monochrome Attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by maswu View Post
    Hi,
    I really like it...i'm fascinated with monochrome images too...this picture gave me a feel of desolation and despair...
    Hope to see some more

    thanks for the comments!
    You Need Some Madness In Life To Stay Sane
    http://emuted.multiply.com

  6. #6

    Default Re: Monochrome Attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by hairyharry View Post
    'curves and added some noise', good one. Maybe you shld just make it
    to a higher iso and make a natural one rather than add em. I really like it
    anyways. (:

    or maybe you could try and hide in those bushes and create a kind of
    sneaky worms eyeview kind of picture. hahhaha.

    any higher the ISO on my cam, the NR will kick in.. anyways adding noise through PP gives me the option and time to choose how much noise I want to effect in.

    sneak in the bushes? u mean with some blurred grass in the foreground ? haha thats an idea.. but the gate was locked.. shot this through a gate.

    thanks for the comments btw
    You Need Some Madness In Life To Stay Sane
    http://emuted.multiply.com

  7. #7

    Default Re: Monochrome Attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Um...adding noise in post gives you the option of a noiseless image as your final product, or one with a little noise. The whole point of adding noise in post is so that you have control over how dense the noise is in your final product; it's a failsafe, so to speak.



    ...and how does this pertain to improving monochrome images?
    thanks for viewing bro.. appreciated all comments whether its on the composition or post processing
    You Need Some Madness In Life To Stay Sane
    http://emuted.multiply.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Monochrome Attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by reaper3075 View Post
    thanks for viewing bro.. appreciated all comments whether its on the composition or post processing
    Most welcome bro. Glad you also realised that it was a "safe" method to add noise through PP rather than at the point of shooting.

    I've only got minor grievances with the converging verticals (vertical lines slanting to the center of the frame). You'll get that as long as your camera is not parallel to the verticals. However, given the fact that you are shooting through a gate, you are quite limited for options so it's a tough call.

    Quote Originally Posted by reaper3075 View Post
    any higher the ISO on my cam, the NR will kick in.. anyways adding noise through PP gives me the option and time to choose how much noise I want to effect in.

    sneak in the bushes? u mean with some blurred grass in the foreground ? haha thats an idea.. but the gate was locked.. shot this through a gate.

    thanks for the comments btw

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    beside jurong point
    Posts
    704

    Default Re: Monochrome Attempt

    i guess this shot plus urban acid would turn out much better!~

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,336

    Default Re: Monochrome Attempt

    well done, looks very natural. the photo probably lacks subject but i feel the attempt is successful

  11. #11

    Default Re: Monochrome Attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by ngck12 View Post
    i guess this shot plus urban acid would turn out much better!~
    yeah, ive read about urban acid.. but somehow.. in my opinion, urban acid would work better with colors.

    thanks for viewing and comment!
    You Need Some Madness In Life To Stay Sane
    http://emuted.multiply.com

  12. #12

    Default Re: Monochrome Attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    well done, looks very natural. the photo probably lacks subject but i feel the attempt is successful

    thank you.. i guess the subject centres mainly on the abandoned house eh?

    You Need Some Madness In Life To Stay Sane
    http://emuted.multiply.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •