Thread: The Horizon

Default The Horizon

Canon EOS 450D 1/320 f/8 55 mm ISO200 Post processing applied with adjustments to curves

Hi all, my first post in the critique section. Looking for some feedback on the composition of this image in terms of placement of subject, framing etc?

Through the photograph I was trying to convey a sense of remoteness and 'vastness' associated with the great outdoors.

Took this picture soon as we had arrived at a reservoir that we were came upon during one of our camping expeditions and as I was hopping out of the jeep with my gear my uncle had already reached the bund and had started scanning the horizon for birds and other things of interest.

I personally like the 'cleanness' of it overall and somehat of a mystery it creates in the viewer of what lies beyond the frame.

Default Re: The Horizon

i would prefer a landscape shot if i was trying to convey vastness.... just a personal opinion

Quote Originally Posted by espedine View Post
    i would prefer a landscape shot if i was trying to convey vastness.... just a personal opinion

Agree to this.
    Also the human figure should appear to be tiny / minute / smallest in comparison to the vastness of the open sky... the leaves at the top right distracts the objective.
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

Sorry to say that i find it too clean for me.
    The human, branches on the top right hand corner looks a bit small...

make it B/W!
    cos you said you wanted a 'mystery' feeling!

Would look better if you put your subject on the right of the picture.

Many thanks all for your valuable feedback. Some very good points to work on. In retrospect I feel I should have framed the figure on the right so that he's looking 'accross' the frame and rightfully in landscape orientation. Hmmm, let me play around with the b/w conversion too...

Quote Originally Posted by espedine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cheguthamrin View Post
    Agree to this.
    Also the human figure should appear to be tiny / minute / smallest in comparison to the vastness of the open sky... the leaves at the top right distracts the objective.

As quoted, the feeling of vastness isn't there. And vast is usually something you'd expect from a picture entitled 'The Horizon'