Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Street photography

Default Re: Street photography

The street photography is very much elegant and marvelous to see and we can enjoy when we take the snaps with any person in the streets.It's funny and amazing!

Blaze Infotech

Quote Originally Posted by Yapster View Post
    Thanks for sharing, guys.

Here's one wide angle street shooter intro to me by night86mare bro himself.

Rui Palha

I pretty much like his use of wide angle for street stuff.
    I really like Rui Palha works. Especially his "wet jump" capture.
    One thing that always puzzled me though was that the picture exif data shows that he's using a olympus C5050Z compact for the shot, but he stated full frame. It's not just that one, but also a D200,D300 usage on other photos.
    I think his understanding for geometry is excellent and it shows in his composition.
    His works are best viewed on flickr river, which runs through some really outstanding work you may missed in the batch.
    His photostream is one of those that takes time to view and appreciate, the second time you see it is different.

Vasilikos is another photographer whose works I admire very much. Some of his pictures centers around coincidences and luck, but his composition is clever.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dry Box View Post
    I really like Rui Palha works. Especially his "wet jump" capture.
    One thing that always puzzled me though was that the picture exif data shows that he's using a olympus C5050Z compact for the shot, but he stated full frame. It's not just that one, but also a D200,D300 usage on other photos.
    I think his understanding for geometry is excellent and it shows in his composition.
    His works are best viewed on flickr river, which runs through some really outstanding work you may missed in the batch.
    His photostream is one of those that takes time to view and appreciate, the second time you see it is different.

Vasilikos is another photographer whose works I admire very much. Some of his pictures centers around coincidences and luck, but his composition is clever.
    Great stuff from Vasilikos as well~

I feel both Vasilikos and Rui Palha has something in common. They like to make use of space for more depths, natural lightings & shadows and silhouette to bring out the feel.

The feel of being there and everything seems to freeze at that moment.

haha, i not good with words la. Pardon me if my description sucks.

I like the discussion going on here. Thanks for the links.

overall, I feel that I like Joe 's style best.
    I tried it myself, though not street photography but at a recent event.
    I just decided to try it( with my firend's dslr ) and found that I liked it and used it for most of my other shots that day .
    Last edited by Grey Knight; 17th September 2008 at 10:33 AM.

Those are Mark Carey's works. He, like Joe Wigfall also use flickr as a medium to showcase their stuff.
    Here's his site.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/markantonyphotos/

One thing about Mark's pictures is they are usually very focus on a particular subject(like joewig), and his style is unmistakable. Check out his stuffs, and you'll see the difference between him, joewig and actually, lot others.
    He also use the G9, and canon dslrs.

Quite a number of vids you can find on tube are created by flickr users.
    Yah, i'm beginning to notice that! I must join Flickr. I will do so very soon, once i have a good body of excellent shots to showcase.

I love the Rui Palha and Vasilikos links. These are two great master street photographers! I find Rui Palha's photos very aesthetically pleasing. He is a master at composing his pictures. Vasilikos' pictures on the other hand more often conveys a deeper meaning and playfulness. Both are great examples of street photography to learn from.

Here's my contribution for today, it's only one shot but i like the elements in the photo and it is well explained by the photographer. I've jotted it down as one technique to try when i go out shooting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_QsBBPiR4U

Quote Originally Posted by milamber View Post
    Yah, i'm beginning to notice that! I must join Flickr. I will do so very soon, once i have a good body of excellent shots to showcase.

I love the Rui Palha and Vasilikos links. These are two great master street photographers! I find Rui Palha's photos very aesthetically pleasing. He is a master at composing his pictures. Vasilikos' pictures on the other hand more often conveys a deeper meaning and playfulness. Both are great examples of street photography to learn from.

Here's my contribution for today, it's only one shot but i like the elements in the photo and it is well explained by the photographer. I've jotted it down as one technique to try when i go out shooting:

I think both you and yapster are right. Yapster pointed out the similarity and you pointed out the difference.
    In a way, their works are similar in the approach the pictures depict their subjects in their natural surroundings. It's about lights, shadows & ambriance and balance.
    Their difference is in compositions, and Rul tends to be more focused, while Vaslikos seen to seek more objects from the natural habitat in balance. But Vas works struck me as more variations, and imo photos on coincidence are always the most entertaining, beautiful and never happens again the second time. Maybe that's why they call it beautiful coincidence. =) (yes cheese I know)

The photographers who emphasize more on people are Markus Hartel, David Brownridge and Richard Greene.

In terms of composition, I'll like to point out to another contact a my who post some very useful stuffs on dpreview. He is one of the few contacts I have who's landscape works I admire very much and is a constant inspiration. Normally, I don't enjoy landscapes as much, but he is exceptional.
    He is Ian Bramham
    A good street photograph is very much about composition despite some people thinking it's snapshots.

Hehe, i am in HK airport now. Waiting at Gate 2 to take the flight home.
    Wow, i am beginning to love this thread. A lot of links to street photography.
    Maybe we should make it a sticky in Street and Candids Gallery.

A good street photograph is very much about composition despite some people thinking it's snapshots.
    Totally agree. It is not just bursting the shutter away of people walking around us.
    And yea, it is about composition. And composition, hmm, at least to me, is more of a skills and it is no technical.
    No guide lines or anything. More of a see more, shoot more, and feel more.

Ok, catch you guys later. Going onboard liao.

Many good links on this page.

Cheers!

Yes and that's the challenge because unlike portraiture, you don't have much time or control over your subjects. The moment happens and is gone in a split second. You have to have your camera ready and instinctively know how to frame the shot, all in a matter of seconds at times. Hence it seems like a snapshot but really, there are deeper elements to the picture that defines the moment captured as tangible and significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Yapster
    Wow, i am beginning to love this thread. A lot of links to street photography. Maybe we should make it a sticky in Street and Candids Gallery.
    Yup, lets build up this thread to the level that it deserves to be a "sticky". The aim is to build up a repository/collection of knowledge/information about street photography so that any newbie and even experienced street photographers can come here to be inspired. Heck, there's already many hours of materials collected here to serve as inspiration on long rainy days. In fact, i've learned that even in the rain, there are plenty of photo opportunities (Rui Palha's pictures for example).

I think we haven't attracted many of our resident street photographers to this thread yet. Would love to hear the opinions, techniques and methods of people like Dannysantos and Strobby. But that's the point isn't it? Street photographers need to shoot a lot and are less inclined to be attracted to the "General, Reviews, Tech Talk" section of CS. Kudos to their dedication to the art of street photography.

I've begun to notice that street photography is certainly one of the most accessible forms of photography. There are few limitations in terms of style, composition or even equipment, unlike say macro photography or Landscape photography. Just look at the range of consumer equiment being used to take wonderful street shots. I've seen the venerable G9 being used very often which is slowly being supplanted by the LX3 in more recent shots and even the Olympus C5050 with its flip out screen and f1.8 lens makes for a very good tool for shooting the street scenery. I like that fact, no one is excluded from street photography. Heck, shoot with your camera phone if you have to.

Was in a hurry today so I didn't repond to this.
    I am not very sure how experienced you are and being a newbie myself I am probably not in the position to advice...

Why wait? Street shooting is very unpredictable, even for masters, a perfect frame probably comes only once a year, and for the rest of us we probably could only hope to get decent frames.

Markus Hartel use flickr as a scrapebook, and place all his commercial stuffs on his website. Many of the pictures in the scapebook didn't make it into his site.

Thing is, we all post rubbish on flickr, some people like me at rate more frequent than the next person. Imo, every photo taken is a learning process. It is absolutely fine to post nonsense on the site, it actually helps that I see the rubbish so many times, I know what not to make next time. There's always the delete option.

PS: G10 is coming.

PPS: link to HCSP (hardcore street photography), the hardest group to get a picture into.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/onthestreet/

PPPS: To yapster, have fun!
    Last edited by The Dry Box; 17th September 2008 at 08:47 PM.

Yup, lets build up this thread to the level that it deserves to be a "sticky". The aim is to build up a repository/collection of knowledge/information about street photography so that any newbie and even experienced street photographers can come here to be inspired. Heck, there's already many hours of materials collected here to serve as inspiration on long rainy days. In fact, i've learned that even in the rain, there are plenty of photo opportunities (Rui Palha's pictures for example).
    Yeap.

Hehe, mainly contributed by you and The Dry Box la.

I think we haven't attracted many of our resident street photographers to this thread yet. Would love to hear the opinions, techniques and methods of people like Dannysantos and Strobby. But that's the point isn't it? Street photographers need to shoot a lot and are less inclined to be attracted to the "General, Reviews, Tech Talk" section of CS. Kudos to their dedication to the art of street photography.
    Yea.. We need to walk and walk and may have to shoot the same place over and over again.

But that's the fun of it!

You get different stuff every time you shoot!

Imo, every photo taken is a learning process.
    Yeap. Agree~~~~~

And as time goes by, we will learn how to kill rubbish shots. Initially, shoot 400, post 30. Then shoot 200, post 10. Then shoot 100, post 1. hahaha.

PPS: link to HCSP (hardcore street photography), the hardest group to get a picture into.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/onthestreet/
    Hmm, for groups in flickr.. seriously, i sometimes don't understand how the admin judge the shots...Some set very funny rules base on their principle. Like, to them, street shot must be right in the face. So only shots that are taken this way is allowed to be posted in the group. However, "Right in the face" itself doesn't mean the shot is properly composed. Isn't it?
    So, i just look around basically and if i spotted a good shooter, i will add him as a friend. To me, every photographer or hobbist is a friend to me.

PPPS: To yapster, have fun!
    Aiyo, i coming back to SG la. not going to HK. anyway, HK is just a transit point my company planned for us for our China trip la.

i guess everyone has their own different styles of street photography. most are discreet and almost shy, while others are pure aggressive. its just different methods and ethics of a photographer, and the lengths that he has to go in order to get the result he desires. you can't expect bruce gilden to introduce himself as an award winning photographer and than ask for a pose right? all he'll get would be nice smiles of strangers (if you ask me, i'd rather see nice smiles of beautiful women/models). the beauty of his work is the REAL expressions of people in their everyday life, and he has to take them by surprise in a way in order to get that result. hip shooting or styles similar to that could have a similar effect as well, but would be hard to frame as well as putting the eye to the viewfinder, plus no flash (if you use flash, that is).

good on the TS to start the thread. i love street photography very much. after watching the bruce gilden youtube vid, i was wondering if anyone else uses flash when out on the streets?

PS: G10 is coming.
    Oh Yes, just saw it in the Canon section. Really beautiful i must say! Look at the dials on the top of the camera! The exposure compensation and ISO dials remind me of the good old days using my manual Nikon cameras. Plus the added wideangle! It's 28mm now. A real toss up between the LX3's 24mm f2.0 or the G10's 28mm f2.8. BTW, i'm now in Flikr, but i want to only put my best shots up there coz there's a 200 shot limit unless i pay for the pro account i think.

Alright all you budding street photographers! Here's a vid on how to do it properly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dipTqJfiE4

Yapster: chey! =P
    What you said is true actually, I am taking less pictures than I first started. For many reason though, it's bad. I should be taking more and filter the results since I am on digital, especially since the workflow is so much faster than film. There may be surprises within the bad shots sometimes.

HSCP isn't so in your face. A lot of it's photos actually stepped back more than most so call street photography groups I had seen. IE, if Markus Hartel on average work constantly 4 feet away from a subject, HSCP is much further back. HSCP struck me as a quality group where in every picture there is always something clever going on. My absolute favorite group to run a slideshow.

Oh Yes, just saw it in the Canon section. Really beautiful i must say! Look at the dials on the top of the camera! The exposure compensation and ISO dials remind me of the good old days using my manual Nikon cameras. Plus the added wideangle! It's 28mm now. A real toss up between the LX3's 24mm f2.0 or the G10's 28mm f2.8. BTW, i'm now in Flikr, but i want to only put my best shots up there coz there's a 200 shot limit unless i pay for the pro account i think.

Alright all you budding street photographers! Here's a vid on how to do it properly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dipTqJfiE4
    I am on free account and it's a 100mb per month limit . Tbh, most users don't upload high resolution stuffs. I kept mine to be around 36000 square pixels limit depending on the aspect ratio I use. On a good month, I roughly used up to say, 20mb the most? Then again, I do not upload a lot of pictures. Pro account allows you to post your image to more than 10 groups, but there are always ways to work around the system(if you look at some of my older shots(try the one on my profile), I have post them in more than 10). Though I rarely post it up to more than 5 groups nowadays since most views comes from my contacts.

Markus Hartel upload 700x471 resolution samples only, and he put up plenty in batches, as with Richard Greene. It's usually large enough for viewers, because they don't usually view at anything more than the page view which resize the width to 500 pixels.

PS: I am on a compact system myself atm with a grd2 which I carries with me most of the time so I have reason to shoot. G10 is very big compares to it honestly.
    Last edited by The Dry Box; 18th September 2008 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrchua View Post
    good on the TS to start the thread. i love street photography very much. after watching the bruce gilden youtube vid, i was wondering if anyone else uses flash when out on the streets?
    I've never seen it done in Singapore. I won't be surprised if somebody called the police if you do it along Orchard Road.

Quote Originally Posted by The dry box
    PS: I am on a compact system myself atm with a grd2 which I carries with me most of the time so I have reason to shoot. G10 is very big compares to it honestly.
    I believe the GRD2 has a fixed 24mm lens right? Do you find it limiting or do you crop a lot?

For today, check out this guy's style of post processing. I was wondering why i found his pictures wierdly attractive until i realised, they're sepia toned with the main subjects retaining their colour. Interesting treatment to Street Photography:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxXtXxm_kaQ

I've never seen it done in Singapore. I won't be surprised if somebody called the police if you do it along Orchard Road.

I believe the GRD2 has a fixed 24mm lens right? Do you find it limiting or do you crop a lot?

For today, check out this guy's style of post processing. I was wondering why i found his pictures wierdly attractive until i realised, they're sepia toned with the main subjects retaining their colour. Interesting treatment to Street Photography:

hehe i was out in city today around Chinatown Haymarket area walking up and down.. flash-banging people discretely. too bad for ETTL's inaccurate rubbish technology, i had to spend some time setting and approximating manual flash controls and manual mode shooting. in the end, the results were pretty fine.. no one called police btw. haha..

Quote Originally Posted by mrchua View Post
    hehe i was out in city today around Chinatown Haymarket area walking up and down.. flash-banging people discretely. too bad for ETTL's inaccurate rubbish technology, i had to spend some time setting and approximating manual flash controls and manual mode shooting. in the end, the results were pretty fine.. no one called police btw. haha..
    Put it up! Can't wait to see your technique of using flash "discretely"! I would think the minute the flash goes, your subject would notice you. What time did you shoot? Put up the best shot of the day in this thread and lets take a look!

BTW guys, i couldn't wait to put this up. Take a look at how this guy holds his camera and shoots on the street. No fear! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj9u_w__LO8
    Last edited by milamber; 18th September 2008 at 10:34 PM.

GRD is fixed 28mm. I used to run a D40 and use a sigma 17-70mm with the lens fixed at 17mm which is 25.5mm equivilent. I cropped plenty when I first started photography, and stop cropping for my last batches of pictures after I got used to working at 25mm equiv.

After I switched to a grd a couple of weeks back, I found that 28mm makes a whole lot more sense. It doesn't distort an image as much as 25mm, so you are really capturing what you see. It helps when you are framing a shot with your eyes before lifting the camera.

You will notice many enthusiast use either a 28 or a 35mm for their works rather than a normal fov 50mm. The wider a lense is, the larger a dof can be, so it increase the working range when using pre-zone focusing. For compact, it usually does not matter because the smaller a sensor is, the large a dof will be.

Truth is, atm with the 28mm, I am missing a lot of my shots because I was so used to working at 25, I estimate my coverage to be at that range so I missed framing some stuff. It is very important to get used to a range for a couple months, the range will grow into you and you'll be able to frame with your eyes better. You have to decide your own working range like everyone else.

How Jeff Mermelstein shoot works fine in certain places in sg, but don't in others. After a while you'll come to realise that different districts have personalities of their own. It's for you to explore.

As for flash photography, it works depending on your approach. Bruce Gilden method is not the way to do it here, though it'll definitely work in one district here.
    But what is the reason for flash photography? Bruce Gilden used it as an expression he believes in. It's application is applied as an artform. Markus Hartel used it rarely, seeking natural light instead to preserve the candid nature of the scene.
    You have to remember with flash, you get one shot, thereafter whatever happens around you is lost, people became aware, and react accordingly so yes, if you missed, you are going to missed a whole lot around you. It would not work with Jeff Mermelstein's philosophy obviously.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast